Hot Rod parts, off to be sandblasted!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
After trying for a few hours to remove decades of rust with a wire wheel & 80 grit sandpaper I decided to give in & take my parts to a local powder coating company here in Fruita called Monument Powdercoating & have them sandblast the parts. It'll take them less than an hour & cost under $100, which makes it worth my time to pay.

Here's the Dodge Brothers tub & the Farmall tractor grill, before... I'll have after pics on Monday. :D That grill is just sexy!! :greg:

1001981jz7.jpg

1001982gk9.jpg

1001977so5.jpg

Once I get them back, I can begin the patch work on the rocker panels. The body has multiple cracks that need to be welded up as well, so I'll be spending some time getting that hammered out. After all the body work is done, the tub & grill will get a coat of flat black primer. :cool:

Greg

Admin
get that off the kitchen floor and back out in the garage where it belongs.

I just unpacked it at that point. :D

Actually we have a ledge that goes all over our dining room/kitchen/living room... Canterine asked me to put the grill up on the ledge, along with the Flatfender grill we currently have up there. We want to start a collection of old/neat vehicle grills. Now I need to find another Farmall tractor grill!

troutbum

cubi-kill
with that grill you should be dropping a 392 SV in that thing, sure it tops out at 3000 RPM and weighs twice what any motor weighs, has no aftermarket and makes low to average power... but I would bet money it would be a one of a kind:rofl: :rofl:

Greg

Admin
with that grill you should be dropping a 392 SV in that thing, sure it tops out at 3000 RPM and weighs twice what any motor weighs, has no aftermarket and makes low to average power... but I would bet money it would be a one of a kind:rofl: :rofl:

I was thinking about a Cummins 4BT.... :D but the 500 CID Caddy motor weighs 1/3 less, makes almost 2x as much torque & is way cheaper.

troutbum

cubi-kill
Cummins 6BT has lots of potential. monster of a mill but think of the smoke clouds you could leave the ricers in

Greg

Admin
If you don't want the Caddy motor I know someone who does :D

Oh yeah? I like the idea of using it, the biggest production V8 in a super-small car. :cool: :eek: Plus I have nearly all the parts for it now. How bad does he want one?

I got a buddy wanting rid of a 354 hemi out of a 67 dart.

How much? A Dodge Hemi in a Dodge Modified car... :cool:

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
What's this "he" stuff? This GIRL wants that for her commando!! And I might be interested in trading one of my children for it....(and not the yellow child) :p :D

Ohhhhh!! :eek: :D We don't need any kids, Daisy is enough of a handful. ;) The Caddy 500's are out there, they're not that hard to find.

Bob, those are AWESOME!! Very cool images, you can definatley tell the similarities between my tub & the Dodge brochures. Thanks for the links!

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
well, if you dump it, I've got a nice Buick 455, which btw has more low-end torque than the Caddy. :)

hehe.

now where's the pics of the pieces???

Greg

Admin
I got the parts back from sandblasting on Thursday actually, very quick turn around time. I sprayed off the bare metal to get all the bits & pieces of sand out of the body, then dried it out with compressed air.

With the pieces laying on the ground in front of me, I couldn't help but mock them up & see what it might look like. :D

1001986mediumsn0.jpg

1001987mediumot3.jpg

1001989mediumze6.jpg

1001988mediumay5.jpg

1001990mediumms9.jpg

With the body parts in place, I decided to measure out where the frame will need to be cut.

1001992mediumeg1.jpg

The pic above is the outline for the front frame cut, which will be cut at a 45* angle, then the frame will be built with the new pieces laying on top of the frame, overlaping by 4". The rear of the frame will be 'Z'd about 12", making room for the rear suspension & axle.

Hopefully this will set the body low on the ground, yet allow room for the suspension. Oh... one more thing I did. I cut the wishbone out of the Model A front axle & seperated the ends for true radius rods. I was kinda nervous taking a Sawzall to 80 yr old parts! :ugh:

Last edited:

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
x's 2 on the grill height. Somewhere close to the cowl height would look cool. And is that the appoximate wheel base? It looks so long. Is that how long they are?

Greg

Admin
are you planing on sectioning or channeling that grill? looks kind of tall to me

Yep, the sides of the grill will be cut so it fits between the frame rails. The top of the grill will be level with the front of the cowl. As mentioned eairler, this was just a mockup.

x's 2 on the grill height. Somewhere close to the cowl height would look cool. And is that the appoximate wheel base? It looks so long. Is that how long they are?

At this setup the wheelbase was about 130". I can go shorter on the engine compartment, and the front axle location but I personally dig the stretched-out look. I think not having wheels & tires kinda makes it look much longer.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
leaf springs suck haha
i love the solid axle front :D

it would be fun to have an unlimited build like this :cool: