How could we improve RME?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I've met all of the offending parties in question and you're all nice dudes. I think there's a dynamic added to relationships/friendships when they start online and that can take a minute to get over when you meet. I'm also a little introverted until you get to know me so I understand it.
To anyone that has met me and thought I was a dick, you're right ;) but I'm also a pretty damn good friend :)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Greg, no way did I mean to imply that Shane acted that way. I guess I wanted to meet him and hoped to get to know him. I guess he had other things on his mind at the time. My point is, if someone meets you for the first time and you blow them off. That gives them the impression that you don't care to know them. Now maybe Marc was the same situation. He apologized and I accept his apology. It is something that has ate at me for a long time. You are one of the handful that I know. You know me and I would hope you know I'm a pretty nice guy. Shane's reaction was pretty much what I expected. Kurts also.

What you guys don't seem to get is that there is a click here. I'm not in it. I get that. You don't know me. Whether you mean for it to be that way or not. To an outsider, it just is. Your all buddy's I get that. If that offends you I'm sorry! Just speaking from the heart.

That's what it sounded like, but I don't think you should have let it get to you... since it did and that effected how you view everyone else on the forum, I don't know what I can say to you to make you feel better about it, seems like you've made up your mind and it's a done deal. There is probably a 'clique' but much of that is because many of us are VERY good friends and our interactions go much further than on here, many of us work with each other on a daily basis or have spent a LOT of time around each other. If you're an outsider than yeah, it may feel like you are.... an outsider. :)

While I can respect your opinion and take on things here, my point with this thread is How can we make RME better?! There have been problems in the past, but I want to make this place awesome again. I'm trying to be positive, make a change for the better and move FORWARD... not backwards. Everyone is welcome to help move forward, so lets focus on the good and move on. Anyone can sling mud, talk shit and drag us all down... it takes great people to build things up, make them better and step up to the bat to make it happen.

This goes for everyone, not just you... what can you do to make things better?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Damn, I never thought I'd see someone claim to have a bad experience meeting Shane or Marc. Both are super nice, humble, and great people. Shane seems a little shy, but damn, that's because he's humble.

None of these guys are celebrities, and they don't owe you anything. They're just regular dudes on the trail. They very well could be distracted with other things go going on around them... BECAUSE THEY CARE about what's going on around them.

If there is a perceived clique, it's because there are groups of people on RME who've helped others and bonded in the process.

If Shane and Marc come off as dicks, then I hope you never meet me on the trail. I surely would expect you to think of me as the spawn of Satan. As the Prince of Darkness, I do require those who meet me to kneel at my feet, and of course, a gift from you is customary. Hot Tamales will work.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I need to apologize here. I got a little pissed when I perceived Marc being called out, which I realize now may have not been the case. Things online can be taken the wrong way very easily.

Marc has done a lot for offroading over the years (whether he'll admit it or not) and he's just a super nice guy, so I felt offended in his place.

Anyhow, I'll stop hijacking Greg's thread now. ;) Let's make RME better!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The internets, perception & reality make for all kinds of fun drama!! :rofl: It takes a big man to blow off a bad interaction and an even bigger man to apologize. ;)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I think it's adorable when people think that other people are obligated to be nice to them. Bless their cute little hearts. And then to judge an entire community based upon a couple singular interactions with people who were noticeably busy? Precious!
4Q6RfBNXaQfdlAX5D-bSblhhMfRgcBjMgCj9HANLiHSSpmNkWFj787YMCjVESHXI8rwgV5YtNlLhV7_9GZ_usEVTKi1HVGjlPxqIXPeAN2PXbyEKCVHDuNEsKFN2OyZhLU447mPEoJEv_Mg32pH_2jM64FgS2usN7rT6gYYg7fTTwM4jhtGNFGq037IJSmJ5WFJqOt29LNJ5uO86q3tjEwiFXeWNhlxBcOnRcKV7G9zjmNgi8_toizCHKgXBhyhzSkKd-fhpfrTph-Vv8Zs7VpJ9E0FOSVrTP2obTLL7ZAmcEMymMSbOMoxWcihZzG0-gBT-ZGbJB_MOs-7uo5zwwCDOsIKo9JPEL4pdW72ltc9Y0h8_dXK_UsZ2AET5S9qFW4rFpy-PvpHc1XUVfLiKVjRiUXfm0C-iFOuB2fq1VGN81HSlGkNsllQKEOL95rsc4aOGuvl-jzqqDxL_YBe6buF5sNtGwGyseCxKAvByl9O-FxLqhB5_ikOrOoyr7aED_e85RomJPp1X49II7QRZBbBuOWY8bd5RlKZ_xne6_APF_PxZDdGfCT7IXsBI1oipcBLK=w236-h347-no

I don't think the issue is making RME cool "again", but rather helping it adapt to the changing landscape of the hobby, technology, and how people use one to further the other.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I don't post on here a lot anymore. And I don't come on here as much as I once did. I like the group of people on here. I really don't post much anywhere anymore. I guess I've learned what I need to know and I'm not looking for a lot of information anymore.

I don't even buy off-road magazines anymore. Its just the same old stuff recycled over and over again.

I quit posting build threads. It doesn't seem like anyone was interested in what I was building since it wasn't a jeep or toyota. oh well. I'll keep working on what I like, I guess I don't care and don't have the energy to post every little thing I do.

I do like watching other people build up different vehicles or give trip reports though.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I don't post on here a lot anymore. And I don't come on here as much as I once did. I like the group of people on here. I really don't post much anywhere anymore. I guess I've learned what I need to know and I'm not looking for a lot of information anymore.

I don't even buy off-road magazines anymore. Its just the same old stuff recycled over and over again.

I quit posting build threads. It doesn't seem like anyone was interested in what I was building since it wasn't a jeep or toyota. oh well. I'll keep working on what I like, I guess I don't care and don't have the energy to post every little thing I do.

I do like watching other people build up different vehicles or give trip reports though.

I agree with a lot of this, and feel the same way...but look at your very last sentence. I also enjoy watching people's build threads--EVEN YOURS! I generally watch though, and don't comment--which then leads you to believe I'm not paying attention. Did you get the V8 project done?

sixstringsteve

I enjoy all build threads, especially "different" builds like yours sawtooth. I just know nothing about them, so I can't contribute much. Check the "views" to see how many times your build thread has been viewed. Most people don't comment because they don't have anything intelligent to say, or input to add, but lots of people still get a lot out of it.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Most people don't comment because they don't have anything intelligent to say, or input to add, but lots of people still get a lot out of it.

^^^ Me. I watch a lot of the build threads, but I don't have the experience to make suggestions most of the time so I only comment when I have a question about something.

Rock Taco

Damn, I never thought I'd see someone claim to have a bad experience meeting Shane or Marc. Both are super nice, humble, and great people. Shane seems a little shy, but damn, that's because he's humble.

None of these guys are celebrities, and they don't owe you anything. They're just regular dudes on the trail. They very well could be distracted with other things go going on around them... BECAUSE THEY CARE about what's going on around them.

If there is a perceived clique, it's because there are groups of people on RME who've helped others and bonded in the process.

If Shane and Marc come off as dicks, then I hope you never meet me on the trail. I surely would expect you to think of me as the spawn of Satan. As the Prince of Darkness, I do require those who meet me to kneel at my feet, and of course, a gift from you is customary. Hot Tamales will work.

Just so so I know Hot Tamales?
image.jpeg

Or or hot tamales?
image.jpg

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I think that these Forums are great, we have all kinds of different threads here that almost any American should enjoy. Off Roading of any kind, camping, guns, hunting, Rc cars, every kind of outdoors thing you can think of and just all types of random topics.... This place can be a great resource for all kinds of people, but I think that the Facebook crap starts to take people away from traditional forums. I have met some of the most stand up guys I know here, how anyone could say anything negative about Greg, Marc or Kurt is just unfathomable to me. I don't know Shane so he could be a dick for all I know :eek: but who cares! I would like to see someone head up the Rig of the month/quarter thread again, I could read about Daves Jeep a hundred more times and be fine but I know there are some sweet rigs out there that people have put a ton of their time into. Group gathering/trail rides would be great, if there were 6 a year I think that would be awesome.

rondo

rondo
Well I miss wheeling in Utah since moving to Idaho but I still like to check on RME. I wish it was busier. Better to read than post. I met a lot of great guys like Tacoma, John, Jack Johnson, Shane, and others. A few bad experiences, like a couple of inexplicable attacks by one of the old cronies, and maybe a couple others I don't remember. and no I won't miss Cody at all. I guess its hard to interpret people from a forum though. yeah that's why I avoid pirate and the childishness.
but I figure if you want internet strangers to be your friends, then good luck with that. I remember a couple of well known people here that I met 2-3 times a year on the trail, at cleanups, and at events, and they NEVER remember me. Yeah oh well hahaha
To make this a positive note, maybe RME should form a 4x4 club with Shane as President. Then folks can get to know one another more regularly. I never did find a 4x4 club to join in Utah, and just wheeled with close friends. But RME has enough good peeps that it'd make a nice formal organization.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...A few bad experiences, like the occasional inexplicable attacks such as by kurt, and maybe a couple others I don't remember. and no I won't miss Cody at all.

Attack is a resolute word, an example please? I'd be more than happy to clarify any and all of my perceived inexplicable attacks. If you're going to accuse me of such a thing at a minimum you can link an example no? I'm not on RME for a popularity contest.

I too won't miss Cody.

Tonkaman

I've met almost all of the guys who keep getting brought up here, and have never felt any bad vibes. All of my encounters have been positive and inviting infact. I don't rock crawl so almost all of these meet ups were more casual places like training day, bbqs, or buying/selling stuff. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, but maybe the situation just wasn't ideal or maybe people are coming in with too high of expectations.

Maybe that's where the casual meet and greets will really show their value. If the online community stops feeling like an outsider to the 'click' then it's a more productive community.

I urge ANYONE who sees me out on the road or on the trail, please wave me over and say hi to me. If your interested in meeting me for any reason send me a PM to come hangout in the garage with me sometime. The point is it's an open invitation to anyone looking to be a bit more social.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Rondo, you say you are an introvert, but complain that people don't remember you. Do you see the correlation?

I remember seeing your posts going back a long time. I never met you, (that I remember, HA!) but I remember having a favorable opinion of you in general.

The extroverts are always going to seem more popular on any forum, simply because they are more visible and active.

Don't expect people to remember you, if you don't make yourself memorable.

On the subject of build threads: I think build threads are a very valuable asset to RME. They are an archive that's easily found through good searching, and that brings in more traffic and ultimately new members.

What makes RME build thread even more valuable is the diversity of builds. RME is not a Jeep, Chevy, Toyota enthusiast dedicated site.

Please post all of your build threads. They may not receive immediate attention from a ton of forum members, but it will always be searchable, and can provide valuable information for years to come to many people who won't post a reply.