how to learn

outdores

Hey All,

I did not grow up working on cars at all. I am trying to learn now. What are some good resources? I am looking stuff up on youtube as I go. I want to learn about a broader range of things. The biggest problem is that I don't know what I don't know.

Are there any community mechanic classes through a community center or trade school? Are there any good books or manuals you all would recommend?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'd start by fixing the little dorky things on your vehicle and work up from there. Maybe you've got something on the interior that needs fixed? A battery or battery cable that needs changed out? Stuff like that. If you've got a good attitude I bet you'll get some good guidance on stuff that crops up?

McFate

I'd start by fixing the little dorky things on your vehicle and work up from there. Maybe you've got something on the interior that needs fixed? A battery or battery cable that needs changed out? Stuff like that. If you've got a good attitude I bet you'll get some good guidance on stuff that crops up?

This right here. I'm about as far from being a pro at wrenching as it gets. But starting on the small stuff and working your way up goes a long way.

As for resources, a big help for me was finding a vehicle-specific site - in my case, fullsizebronco.com. There's a lot of stuff out there you'll learn that applies to just about every vehicle, but a lot of the time it's nice to find a resource specific to your ride.

I'm also a big fan of the older vehicle videos you can find on Youtube. Sure, some of the stuff shown in the videos from the '40s & '50s isn't exactly how things are done today, but I think they're great for getting the core concept down, then you can find a different video on a more modern application. Honestly, the concept of how a differential worked didn't really click for me until I watched this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYAw79386WI

I've also found that some of the shop manuals available are pretty good for learning. I picked up a Bronco manual recently that not only had the trouble shooting steps and repair procedures, but it also has sections that explain the reasoning behind a part's design, or in the case of the A/C system, the physics of how the A/C actually works, in addition to the components of the system.

broncoManual.png

sixstringsteve

Haynes and Chilton car manuals were quite helpful for me growing up. See if you have a friend who knows a thing or two about mechanics. A great place to start is doing your own brakes. Once you see how easy brakes are, and how much a shop charges for them, you gain a lot of confidence.

Last edited:

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I learned a lot from watching tv shows growing up. Shade tree mechanic back in the day on TNN had some good tips. I'm still a novice/intermediate mechanic but with out those basic monkey see monkey do lessons I'd be far worse today.

Today if I have a problem or a fix to perform I YouTube it. Most of the time the basic steps are there ( changing out rear brake cylinders was my last adventure)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The Haynes manual was a sacred literary source for me in my 20's. I learned a ton of the basics from using that book. I would recommend Haynes over the Chilton manuals.

I don't consider myself a mechanic, but I have the ability now to fix/diagnose most vehicular issues. I couldn't change a spark plug at 18. I just wanted to be an opera singer.

ricsrx

My son just graduated from high school and has taken auto shop every year, and on top of that he has been working with me in the shop for years...

my point in this is he still struggles with his projects, and its not from a lack of knowledge, its his inexperience with different projects and confidence that he wont jack it up in the process.

so yes to all the advice above, it will just take time to get there.

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I'll add my 2 cents.

1) Be patient with yourself when you screw it up (you will mess up something)
Those folks that can do it perfectly and quickly have already messed it up a time or two.
2) It will take far longer to do than you think because that manifold stud will break or parts won't fit.
3) try to make a plan and ask for advice on here.
4) If you get in a bind, don't be afraid to ask for a little help.
5) if anyone on here has a wrenching party (far less often now that sixstringsteve has gone all RV on us) show up and watch or lend a hand to the best of your ability

outdores

Thanks everyone. I will definitely heed all this advice. I am going to check out the Haynes manual for sure as well as just keep trying each project that I think I might be able to do. Thank you everyone for all the great information.

I swapped tank straps and installed a skid plate today. It went pretty well but took a little longer than expected.