I am so tired of KSL scammers

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
So I finally got my father in law's Jeep all fixed up and listed it on KSL cars. It has gotten a good number of views and favorites but the only people who have texted me are scammers. They have a very consistent MO, the initial text is often cryptic and not well formed. Once you reply they get all personable and ask typical questions and even set up a time to come look at it. Then they ask for a vehicle report before they come and send a link of a "good" service they have used. I got a vehicle report already but they won't accept the one I got and want me to use the link they sent. The last scammer got nasty when I told him that I had already paid for a report and he would have to take it or leave it. Why are these people so thick on KSL ?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
A couple texts in I say “call me so I know you’re real” and that weeds out a ton of them. And the real people get a kick out of it and we end up laughing about it.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
When I was car shopping for my daughter I felt like there were a lot of scammers out there. I started looking closer at the ads, does the car pictures look like it is in UT (church parking lot or mountains in background?) Is it in English? Are there small details to notice like at the bottom after paragraphs of how grandma drove it to church it says blown engine?

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Grandma did drive it to church :).
Since I posted the initial post I have gotten yet another scammer who wanted me to use a vin report service that when you look it up online has scam warnings. Another text wanted me to take half the asking price, like I'm that desperate after less than one day online ? I did get one voice call and he is so far the only legit person I have had contact with. He had questions about one of the pictures so I know he at least looked.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I have a number of things for sale. I HATE people. It keeps getting worse the older I get.

The first line in the ad for the Van is 'don't ask if it's still available. If the ad is here, its available. Read full ad before calling me'

The only messages I get are
'still available?'
'Run good?'
or
'what's your bottom dollar?'

Not one person says 'Hey, can I look at it?'

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
'what's your bottom dollar?'
This one burns me more than all the others combined, I think. It's such an insultingly low-effort swing that I ignore these completely. I've normally put some thought into my price and I'm pretty firm, but I don't mind bargaining if they wanna put some effort into it - come look at the thing, show me where my price is high, tell me things I hadn't considered, whatever. But this "what's the lowest you'll take" bullshit just shuts the whole process right down for me. Get outa here with that crap.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
This one burns me more than all the others combined, I think. It's such an insultingly low-effort swing that I ignore these completely. I've normally put some thought into my price and I'm pretty firm, but I don't mind bargaining if they wanna put some effort into it - come look at the thing, show me where my price is high, tell me things I hadn't considered, whatever. But this "what's the lowest you'll take" bullshit just shuts the whole process right down for me. Get outa here with that crap.

100%

NYCEGUY01

I Always just reply "Whats the most youd pay ?" then if they reply I add "please explain"...lol

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member

I just tell them listing price is the bottom dollar, willing to talk it over in person. But mostly same experience of no shows and just wasting your time. Anymore I’d rather just donate whatever I have or give it to someone I know

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I Always just reply "Whats the most youd pay ?" then if they reply I add "please explain"...lol

I asked a Hispanic guy that same question on a older truck I was selling, after getting the "what's the lowest you'll take" ... and we actually came to a decent price. I expected him to walk away.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I had one ask the lowest I’d take. I told him, then he offered $500 lower than that. I just told him no. He texted 24 hours later and said he was thinking about it. I’d already made the trade and told him it was sold. He got all upset “when did that happen?!?” Just now, buddy. I had already marked the ad “sold”.