I am so tired of KSL scammers

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Okay, but did you take the initial pic with the intent of sending it to said scammer, or for some reason did you already have it on your phone šŸ¤”
Fair question. I'm a simple minded man. One scammer asked me if I still had x item. My mind went back to some male in my past answering a question with, does a cat have an ass? Said cat was at hand so I snapped the pic and sent it to the scammer.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I just renewed the ad on KSL and like clockwork the scammers started up again. Four of them this morning, would I take a cashiers check, someone else will pick it, just "2001 cherokee" (which a scammer used in the past), another with very bad english, anther with my wife's Cherokee was totaled how low can you go ?. I wish I could get a serious buyer to just come look at it, it will sell itself. On Saturday I was out wheeling and a guy kept on texting about it and his last message was how low can you go so I replied back with a lower price and he never messaged back.

Last edited:

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
399028702_664019105859097_4400157301195423550_n.jpg

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Well it happened. I got scammed.

I kind of saw it coming, but they were just good enough to make me believe.

Trailer listed for a good price. Not ridiculous, but great deal. They also had a few other listings of regular priced items, such as a couch and table.
She said she was at work, but would hold it for me for a $20 deposit. Venmo or cash app. I Sent a venmo. A little later they listed a few other great deal items, tool boxes and such.
They gave me an address to an apartment complex.
When it came time to meet, they needed to push back a few hours. Now all their listings are gone. No response to texts or calls.

Here is where they did good: price was great, but not unrealistic.
Very responsive to local phone number texts.
The regular priced items were what gave me the confidence.

Here were the signs: it was a new account on ksl, joined this month.
They offered delivery in each ad. Iā€™ve done this in the past, and it helps with a sale for sure.
Asked for a small deposit.. not too much to hurt, but enough to be worth taking from me.

I know my money is gone, but it is interesting to me that they had a legit Venmo account. I wonder how they donā€™t get caught going that route.

I should also note, Iā€™ve had this exact scenario in the pastā€¦ But didnā€™t send them any money because the deal was slightly too good. So I suspected it. I kind of went along with this one just to see if it was a scam or not.
So all of you feel free to Venmo me one dollar for the research and investment I made to protect your futures!

Last edited:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Well it happened. I got scammed.

I kind of saw it coming, but they were just good enough to make me believe.

Trailer listed for a good price. Not ridiculous, but great deal. They also had a few other listings of regular priced items, such as a couch and table.
She said she was at work, but would hold it for me for a $20 deposit. Venmo or cash app. I Sent a venmo. A little later they listed a few other great deal items, tool boxes and such.
They gave me an address to an apartment complex.
When it came time to meet, they needed to push back a few hours. Now all their listings are gone. No response to texts or calls.

Here is where they did good: price was great, but not unrealistic.
Very responsive to local phone number texts.
The regular priced items were what gave me the confidence.

Here were the signs: it was a new account on ksl, joined this month.
They offered delivery in each ad. Iā€™ve done this in the past, and it helps with a sale for sure.
Asked for a small deposit.. not too much to hurt, but enough to be worth taking from me.

I know my money is gone, but it is interesting to me that they had a legit Venmo account. I wonder how they donā€™t get caught going that route.

I should also note, Iā€™ve had this exact scenario in the pastā€¦ But didnā€™t send them any money because the deal was slightly too good. So I suspected it. I kind of went along with this one just to see if it was a scam or not.
So all of you feel free to Venmo me one dollar for the research and investment I made to protect your futures!
That sucks, man. Sounds like they played a pretty good game. Did you report the account to KSL? And I think that there is a charge dispute process with Venmo as well.

All that said, this is one reason I only deal in cash. I will only pay (or be paid) for stuff on KSL/Craigslist in crisp dollar bills after I have seen the item I'm looking for. I've known several people over the years who have been taken for a ride from scams like this, and its never fun.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Suprisingly I have not had any scammers reach out about the enclosed I listed.......maybe I need to request a big deposit from @Gravy then just ghost him tomorrow when I am supposed to meet him in Spanish Fork. The first guy that reached out on KSL did offer me $100 more than asking if I would back out on the sale pending and sell it to him. My response was I stick to my word.

Along those lines, when I bought my toterhome, they guy I bought it from was motivated to get it sold since he had to go and pick up a Prevost he had bought. I was the first person he talked to and I offered 5k less than he was asking and he took it. He had about 10 calls right after mine and they all offered him more than he was asking. He stuck to his word and sold it to me. That seems to be a very rare thing in todays world.

STAG

On my grind
I can only recall one time where I was making a purchase and they messaged me ā€œsorry, someone is offering me more money than I agreed to with you. If you will match their offer then I will still sell it to youā€. I told them no thanks, Iā€™ll turn around.