I Need a New Laptop

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Mac is the best. Adobe suite for design is nice for me. I just love the user friendly attributes. The basic white macbook is on sale right now for $750. Lot of bang for your buck. I've owned this one for over 2 years and feel like it's just breaking in. My previous PC had a life span of only a year and a half. Mac is quality.

There are those of us that have been using Windoze for quite some time. Believe me, it's not an easy conversion. I had the opportunity to "convert" to the Mac religion for over 4 years at my old job. Despite a Mac being the only machine on my desk for at least 6 months, I'm still a primary PC user. There are great things about the Mac, but they really aren't the silver bullet the Mac religion preaches.

If you buy some decent hardware for a PC (let's say comparable to a Mac?), I think you'll have a similar experience with a PC. If you're comparing a $400 pc to a $2500 MacBook Pro, I wonder which one would be the winner?

For the record, I really liked my MacBook Pro (my 6 month conversion machine) but I found that I just started working in Parellels more than it was worth so I bought the current D620 I'm typing on right now (that was at least 3 years ago....shouldn't it have self destructed by now?). Before that I had a $3500 G5 workstation and after the MacBook Pro went to a $1800 iMac. The iMac was my least favorite of the bunch.

I like the Mac, but the bulk of users drive me nuts.

I swear I'm the only pc user with piles of computers around my house that all still work. I have no idea how you guys kill your hardware so fast... and I'm not nice to them either. :confused:

I'm with Shane. What the hell happens to your hardware that makes your PC junk?

Last edited:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Marc, Since I have limited knowledge of the laptop world, what would you suggest I pick up as far as a Dell? I get on Dell's website and I start building one and I can't help but think bigger is better, next thing you know my budget is gone. Is it really worth the money to get the most memory and speed? I know, it depends on what you are going to use it for... I guess what I want to know is, what would You order.

Thanks,

mbryson

Supporting Member
Marc, Since I have limited knowledge of the laptop world, what would you suggest I pick up as far as a Dell? I get on Dell's website and I start building one and I can't help but think bigger is better, next thing you know my budget is gone. Is it really worth the money to get the most memory and speed? I know, it depends on what you are going to use it for... I guess what I want to know is, what would You order.

Thanks,

Bigger is better, but I think you can get a respectable system for around $1000-1200? You may or may not want to add the supplemental video card.

img.aspx

Starting Price
spacer.gif
$1,504 Instant Savings
spacer.gif
$456
spacer.gif

Subtotal
spacer.gif
$1,048
spacer.gif

Mini 9: Your on the Go Business Partner Add now for $299

Lease from $28/mo. (48 pmts)1

components_on.gif
My System Details
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8300 (2.40GHz, 3M L2 Cache, 800Mhz) Dual Core edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Business Bonus-Windows XP Professional downgrade edit
WARRANTY & SERVICE 3 Year Limited Warranty and 3 Year Mail-in Service edit
LCD PANEL 14.1 inch Wide Screen WXGA+ LCD Panel edit
MEMORY 4.0GB, DDR2 SDRAM, 2 DIMMS edit
HARD DRIVE 160GB Hard Drive, 9.5MM, 7200RPM (Free Fall Sensor) edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 8X DVD+/-RW w/Roxio and Cyberlink Power DVD™ edit
VIDEO CARD Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 edit
WI-FI WIRELESS CARD Dell Wireless™ 1395 802.11g Mini Card edit
FINGERPRINT READER OPTION Standard Touchpad edit
BACKUP OS DRIVERS AND SYSTEM DOCUMENTATION Resource CD and DVD contains Diagnostics and Drivers for XP and Vista edit

accessories2_on.gif
My Accessories BATTERY 9 Cell Primary Battery edit
FLOPPY DRIVE No Floppy Drive edit

services_on.gif
My Services & Warranties PLANT A TREE Support Reforestation: Plant a Tree for Me (System Discount May Apply) edit
ON-SITE SYSTEM SETUP No Onsite System Setup edit
PURCHASE INTENT Purchase is not intended for resale. edit
services_off.gif
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM Internal Keyboard Internal English Keyboard
Ship Group US - System Documentation, Power Cord
OS Labels Vista Premium Label
PRIMARY POWER OPTIONS 65W A/C Adapter

Last edited:

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Ive been really happy with dell laptops. I've owned many of them since the 90s, and being from Austin, I'm a bit biased;)

The one I'm using now is an older than dirt 02' inspiron 2650 that I bought second hand in 2004. It has been dropped and abused numerous times and the worst damage it has are few cracks here in the case. No failures.

Parts are cheap and someone as inept as my myself can work on them.

I did enjoy the old IBM thinkpads though:-\

Green Leader

I swear I'm the only pc user with piles of computers around my house that all still work. I have no idea how you guys kill your hardware so fast... and I'm not nice to them either. :confused:

I could keep all my computers working in my house but i got tired of rebuilding the damn things it seems thats just what you do with PC's. I haven't had to do anything with my MAC.

And their laptops are nice as hell you do pay for them more upfront but they payoff in the long run.

R

rockdog

My son spilled water on his hp laptop. Is it worth trying to fix or would it be cheaper to just buy a new one? I have zero computer knowledge so be kind to me.:D

mbryson

Supporting Member
I could keep all my computers working in my house but i got tired of rebuilding the damn things it seems thats just what you do with PC's. I haven't had to do anything with my MAC.

And their laptops are nice as hell you do pay for them more upfront but they payoff in the long run.

:confused:
My kids are still using two XP machines that were built at least 5 years ago. They download anything and everything. I'm not sure what issues you're having?

jet_aj

Just loosing my mind
I have 3 ACER laptops, an Aspire 15xx that I've had for about 4 years and it has worked flawless. I used it at work (in the shop with all sorts of gunk flying about). I have an ACER Tablet PC and just got one of the new ACER ONE small laptops and love being able to take it with me where ever i go and be able to pull pictures off my camera. I've never had any problems with any of my Acer's.

Good luck in your search

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
how do you like that Acer One??? I was thinking they would rock for a travel notebook, they're tiny!

And tell me about the tablet?? I may get into one for general use/graphics.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com

Thanks,

IMO, get the min memory and HDD they have and buy bigger elsewhere - You can get top memory cheaper in the 'aftermarket' world than through Dell and that will save you quite a bit. Things like video card, video size, etc are what they are though.

Also, what is your old laptop? I might have spare parts taht would fix it :D Also, if you look on ebay you would probably find parts cheap. If you don't know how to fix it, I'm sure someone can help or you can send it to me and I'll fix it - up until 2 years ago, I was certified on all of Dell's products from laptops, to desktops, to printers, to flat panels.

jet_aj

Just loosing my mind
how do you like that Acer One??? I was thinking they would rock for a travel notebook, they're tiny!

And tell me about the tablet?? I may get into one for general use/graphics.

I really like the Acer One for traveling. Its small yet powerful enough to do anything I need while traveling. It takes a little getting used to the keyboard because it is smaller than a normal keyboard. It will almost fit in my wife's purse... almost. It is also great to carry in a back pack to download pics off my camera when i fill up the memory cards. The battery lasts pretty good, and they offer larger batteries for even longer use away from a plug.

The tablet PC is nice for sitting on the couch surfing the net, my wife uses it about every day so surf around or play solitaire. The stylus pen really makes it quick to surf around, no messing with the touch pad, just tap on the link you want with the pen. I dont know that I would have a tablet PC as a primary laptop because of the extra cost of it. I'm not sure if the touch resolution would be all that great for doing much graphical drawing/ect. A touch sketch pad would probably give you better results, but if your doing graphical enhancement on photos it might be nice to have the portability and the touch screen/tablet

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Thanks... That's pretty much what I was thinking, on both machines. Graphics tablets ARE better for real graphic work, but I'm contemplating using it as sort of a large digital sketchbook, if that makes any sense... I will likely talk myself out of it though, and just overpaint digital pics... as I'm not ever going to do digital work, just sketch out really rough ideas for traditional paintings. ;)