I think I want a varmint riffle...I know nothing.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
So as a little background, I am pro gun, but have never owned one and have only fired 10-15 rounds in my life. My wife cringes at the thought of a gun in the house (yes, even a riffle) but she is coming around. I don't see a hand gun in the house any time soon. I don't care for game meat so I don't think I will ever try to shoot Bambi. I am really interested in the idea and challenge of actually tracking/hunting down an animal. This is leading me to believe that varmint, especially coyotes are the way to go.
So knowing next to nothing about the sport, or the equipment needed, can you guys help get me started? I'm sure each of you have your opinion on what would be best for me so lets talk about them and hopefully I can come up with a way to get in the game.

First off, Legal: What is the legal side of buying/owning my first gun? How do I buy a gun? Website? Gun store? Black van in dark alley? What about when I transport the gun? Sit it in my lap, or bed of the truck? Anything else I need to know so I don't get in trouble?

Second, the gear: What gun for an entry level shooter? I'm looking for cheap here, at least at first. I don't want to buy an expensive gun just to find out I hate the sport. Having said that, I don't want my cheap gun to make me hate the sport either. What about a scope? I have this idea of being a super cool sniper and having 1000 yard kill shots. Not really, but I do want to be able to use the gun to its capacity. Do I need a stand of some sort? Should I be flat on the ground hiding or will I be standing and shooting? What other items do I need to outfit the gun? Any special brand or type of bullets for the gun? I guess I need to "call" them in so I would need a caller? Anything else? Should I be wearing bright orange or camo?

Third, the nuts and bolts of hunting coyote: Where can I hunt? I live in Magna, so whats close by? How do I pick an area? What do you wish you had known when you got started? What do I do with the animal once I have killed it? Anything else I need to know?

Thanks for any information you care to share!

DAA

On my phone on a plane so short. Sporter weight. 22-250 or .223.

Nothing close worth hunting.

Camo.

Need a call but start cheap with hand calls.

- DAA

rustyoljeep

Soon to be Flinstoning it
Legal: I just moved here from Minnesota, so I may have some of this wrong but here's how it went when I bought my shot gun, and my mosin. I went to my local police station and applied for a permit to purchase, which involved a background check and making sure I wasn't looney. This was after I turned 18, which I am assuming you're older than considering the wife, etc. After they sent me that permit, I simply walked into Fleet Farm, to the gun counter, and told them what I wanted. I filled out paperwork that registered the shot gun to me, and I walked out with it that day. It is my understanding that in Minnesota anyway, you can walk in without the permit when over 18, but they will do the background check there and you will get the gun after that has cleared. I'd recommend purchasing new because there are less unknowns surrounding the firearm. Although, websites will have the best prices on new and used, there is an issue when it comes to shipping, generally, you must have it shipped to an FFL, which is a federally licensed company or person who is allowed to receive firearms in the mail. Those companies/people will have their own fees associated with those services.

Transport: I'm assuming the lap/truck bed things were jokes, but in case they weren't, no. Truck bed would be arguable, but too easy for someone to run up and grab your gun and run off which turns into a nice legal mess. The law in Minnesota, which I find to be good practice, is that the gun is to be unloaded, and out of reach when being transported. Of course in the cab of a pick up, there is not a lot that is out of reach, so unloaded with the ammunition in the back may be the best bet. To stay out of trouble I would take every ridiculous precaution necessary, because we all know that there is always going to be that one asshole cop that may not want to arrest you, but he's going to assert his authority by talking your ear off about the POTENTIAL situations that are extremely unlikely "but he's seen it a million times" Don't flaunt your gun around, and you shouldn't have any issues.

Gear: If you want to go used, I'd go with a Mosin-Nagant. It's a cheap Russian made bolt action rifle with enough power to take down a coyote from a distance, but isn't going to have incredibly expensive ammunition. To give you an idea of cost, if you buy a good piece of glass, you're most likely going to be spending more on the scope than you did on the rifle.

The rest of it I'm not quite sure what to tell you because I don't have experience in any state, here or Minnesota, but here's my best guesses: I'm assuming you're going to need a permit to hunt coyotes, and you'll need to keep track of your kills. I assume you're not going to be able to leave the animal, however as long as the animal is confirmed dead, it may not be an issue, depending on where it is at i.e. near a public trail or out in the sticks.

Hope I helped! And I hope someone can correct me on some of the things that may be different between Minnesota and here regarding gun laws.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I like my kids to start with a .22 long rifle. If you don't have ANY guns, that is the cheapest to shoot, most readily available ammo gun out there (excepting the past two years). EVERYONE needs a Ruger 10/22 ;) (not really, but that is probably one of the most common guns out there) VERY little recoil, easy to shoot, and you learn the basics pretty fast. A .22 doesn't really have the knockdown power of anything centerfire but for varmints, it's not a bad choice at all. Coyote hunting will be pretty challenging with a .22 as you're going to have to be a pretty decent hunter/stalker/caller to get a good shot at predictable .22 range. Your wife and kids will enjoy shooting a .22 as well. SAFETY will be the thing you'd want to practice/teach with whatever weapon you buy. Muzzle control to me is pretty damn critical. That should be pointed in a "safe" direction at all times no matter the condition of the weapon (loaded/unloaded/jammed whatever).

You may want a centerfire and if you do stick to a good brand bolt rifle (Remington, Savage, Ruger, etc---go to a large store and handle all of the listed and then whatever catches your eye and fits your budget) in .223 or similar for a first choice. (nothing wrong with 22-250 at all, in fact there's a lot right with it but the .223 will be quite a bit cheaper to shoot and ammo is readily available in all kinds of flavors) There are an amazing amount of options of calibers and what not out there. .223 has great range, excellent ammo availability and if you want to move out of the weapon later, it shouldn't be hard to sell assuming the gun is in good shape.

The buying process outlined above is a little more bureaucratic than buying a gun in UT. Here we run down to our retailer, select a weapon, they do a mandatory federal background check and tell you when you can pick it up (there might be a day wait?;). You could also buy off a reputable website like utahgunexchange.com or similar. Without being familiar with laws, I might stick to a retail sale unless you actually know the person selling.

It really might be worth your time to run through the UT Hunters Safety training (unless you've got a friend or something that will take you shooting for a while....I'd imagine there are a few on here that might be able to put up with you a few times?) before buying. They explain current laws, regulations and safety in a proven way and it will give you a good foundation going fwd.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
The buying process outlined above is a little more bureaucratic than buying a gun in UT. Here we run down to our retailer, select a weapon, they do a mandatory federal background check and tell you when you can pick it up (there might be a day wait?;). You could also buy off a reputable website like utahgunexchange.com or similar. Without being familiar with laws, I might stick to a retail sale unless you actually know the person selling.

I've never had to wait more than 15 minutes after I completed the paperwork and they picked up the phone, I think the 15 minutes was on black Friday.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I've never had to wait more than 15 minutes after I completed the paperwork and they picked up the phone, I think the 15 minutes was on black Friday.

Its been a while since I didn't have a CCW permit so I really don't remember. A handgun might be an overnight wait?

Caleb

I've never hunted anything more than bunnies but a 17 hmr should be considered too. I don't know that it will take down a coyote, but the advantages are it can reach out much farther than a 22, ammo is easier to be had than 22 right now, it's cheaper (both the weapon and the ammo) than a 223, and they are still fun to shoot. Not down playing a 223, I have several and love the round. If you don't mid the little bit higher entry cost and the little higher per round cost, then the 223 will do everything a 17 hmr will and then some. IMO, given your lack of experience, I'd suggest you go out with some of us and shoot some of our guns and see what you like. I'm off from Christmas till after the first of the year and plan to head out a bit, you're welcome to come along. Maybe we could plan a small RME shoot or something.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
My last wait was literally less than 5 minutes. Walked in said I want that handgun, they made the phone call for the check and I was out the door gun in hand. you can't go wrong with a .223 as said. From Magna I'd head west, out near Grantsville or Skull valley. Shoot some jack rabbits, see if you can find a coyote, print up some targets. Just go shoot. Hunters Safety is a good idea as well.

D

Deleted member 12904

They run cattle down in the winter out here and shooting is not allowed in many places near Grantsville during the winter months. If you come out this way looking for rabbits please be mindful of what's beyond your shot as cows can easily not be seen over a hill or knoll.

DAA

I would not recommend any rimfire for coyote hunting. But for a first rifle, smaller varmints etc., it's the obvious choice.

I know the thousand yard sniper stuff was tongue in cheek, but, do realize that coyote hunting is nothing like that. I mean, you can make it like that, if you want (I find the sniper style as exciting as watching old people sleep...), but as a beginner with a small budget you won't be able to pull that off. You'll be trying to call them in close. That's the whole point of it. If you learn how to do it half way decent, most of your shots will be slam dunks.

- DAA

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Coyote hunting is pretty tough. I used to watch a documentary as a kid about coyote hunting and it seemed impossible to kill them. Although, they are quite easy to lure in. All it took was a decoy of a road runner filled with TNT and that coyote would be blown sky high. Another good approach is to set a decoy right at the edge of a huge cliff. The coyote will run right off the edge. I have never really gotten into coyote hunting because of that hunting show. It just seems like the kill to time spent hunting ratio is really low since zero coyotes ever died on that show.

Good luck.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
^ Nice!

What the difference between center fire and rimfire?

I'm sure a lot of this will have to do with your skill, but how close do you want to call them in before taking a shot? Does that distance change with the different guns listed above?

I was invited on a rabbit hunt with some guys at work after Christmas. Sounds like they have the guns listed above and will let me shoot them all. What should be the most important thing to look for in a gun?

Thanks for all your help guys!

Caleb

Rimfire vs. Center fire:

Fired_rimfire_and_centerfire_casings.jpg

Center fire (on the right) strikes a primer in the center to fire, rim fire (on the left) strikes the rim of the shell to fire. Rim fire are really all smaller rounds (.22lr, .17 hmr, etc). Rimfire are also not reloadable (not that you care at this point).

skeptic

Let me jump on the bandwagon here and say rimfire is a great way to get started - 22lr, 17hmr or 22 wmr. Forget about coyote for now, start with a membership to an outdoor range. Personally, my suggestion would be a "lowly" .22lr, something like a 10/22 and a ~$50 3-9x scope. Spend some quality range time getting to know the gun, work on accuracy, etc. then try rabbit hunting. You can always step up to .223/5.56 and coyote later.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I know you have stated you want to hunt coyotes but they are a pretty wiley (pun intended) animal. I can't shoot them because I am a puss and they look just like my dog, only animal I have ever had a moral issue with killing. I love shooting pot guts, ground squirrels, prairie dogs, rock chucks or rabbits. All of them except rabbits hold still and let you aim and shoot. Then you can develop skill by shooting at greater and greater distances. Rabbits are much more difficult to shoot than a coyote unless you shoot them with a shotgun which is neither sporting or fun in my opinion. There are lots of places to shoot at any of them in UT, ID and Nevada.

As for guns, the .22lr and .17hmr are great rimfires. For a center fire I would personally go with a Remington 700 bolt action with a vortex 4x-12x scope in .204 ruger. It out shoots the .223 by a mile and is as good or better than a 22-250 but much less expensive to shoot and will take a lot more rounds to destroy a barrel. Ammo for the .204 is also pretty readily available.
That gun in that caliber with that scope is my best bang for the buck to get you shooting out to 500 yards at anything up to and including a coyote.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Thats good feedback. I've had a few guys offer to take me shooting and will take them up on it. With all their different guns I hope to find one I want.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I would not recommend any rimfire for coyote hunting. But for a first rifle, smaller varmints etc., it's the obvious choice.

I know the thousand yard sniper stuff was tongue in cheek, but, do realize that coyote hunting is nothing like that. I mean, you can make it like that, if you want (I find the sniper style as exciting as watching old people sleep...), but as a beginner with a small budget you won't be able to pull that off. You'll be trying to call them in close. That's the whole point of it. If you learn how to do it half way decent, most of your shots will be slam dunks.

- DAA

Dave hit the nail right on the head here. (beside being the coyote whisper) If you want something less expensive to shoot and maybe kill a Coyote then it sounds like a .223 is what would fill that need really good, please don't take a rimfire Coyote hunting you will probably end up just wounding the dog and that's not cool. Lots of them out there, I would recommend a Remington 700 and probably in a SPS type model with a heavier barrel. Good Luck, check out Cal Ranch stores, they clearance out rifles all the time.

Last edited: