I think I want a varmint riffle...I know nothing.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Sorry to infer that a .22 would be ideal to hunt coyotes. While capable of killing, there are other tools better suited and more humane. .22 is an excellent first rifle but it's kind of a bunny and smaller caliber.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
SPS? You guys and all your abbreviations...:rolleyes:...:D. I wasn't kidding when I said I know nothing. I have been reading up the 700. They sound like a great gun for someone like me. So if I decided on that gun, what size is best? Also, I now know the difference between rim fire and center fire, but why is one better than the other. It's not an obvious choice. :D

skeptic

Exceptions to everything of course, but generally speaking rimfire is cheaper, shorter range, easier to shoot especially for a beginner, and less powerful. It's not that one is better than the other, it's a question of which is better for what situation. For someone that has never owned a gun and has shot 10-15 rounds in their life I'm going to recommend a .22lr (and a hunters safety course and to shoot with someone else that can guide them) every time.

rholbrook

I have a 22-250 and an AR that will shoot either the 223 or 556. I always take the 22-250. I just like the feel of it. It has yet to get a coyote but it is sighted in really well.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
It sounds like the 22-250 is the way to go, but it also seems harder to get bullets, and more expensive. Bullet wise, what is the best bang (pun intended) for the buck? I'm sure there are several prices ranges for quality of bullets for each gun size, but overall, what is easy and cheaper to get, that will leave me happy?

Caleb

It sounds like the 22-250 is the way to go, but it also seems harder to get bullets, and more expensive. Bullet wise, what is the best bang (pun intended) for the buck? I'm sure there are several prices ranges for quality of bullets for each gun size, but overall, what is easy and cheaper to get, that will leave me happy?

If you're stuck on the idea of killing a coyote, then I'd go with a .223/5.56 ($.22+ per round). The ammo can be had pretty much anywhere right now and for a fair cost. If you're just looking to get started shooting, go with a rim fire. The cost difference is quite a bit. .22lr (if you can find the ammo, $.05+ per round) if you're just looking to plink or maybe kill some bunnies in a fairly close proximity, or a .17 hmr ($.21+ per round) if looking for a bit more reach. 22-250 is a cool gun, but they aren't cheap to shoot ($.64+ per round). IMO, when just getting started, as mentioned many times already go take Hunter safety (I think you need your blue card to kill anything anyways) and then shoot...a lot. That's why a .22 is nice because you can shoot a lot for not a lot of money.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
An Advantage to going with a 22-250 is you can hunt deer with it, although not an ideal big game rifle.. another option would be to go with an AR based rifle, that would give you an option for several calibers with just a barrel change. You could buy it in 223 to start and then get a 22 conversion kit or a complete 22 upper,and add calibers like a .204 or 300 blackout barrels are an easy change on them and a pretty economical way to expand your possibilities.

Last edited:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
rholbrook PMed me about an AR gun. I know nothing about them other than they look like a machine gun and seems everyone wants one. What makes them desirable for hunting?

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
They are just a really good platform for multiple uses, you have magazine capability, you can build them to be pretty light, my last AR weighed in a 5 lbs 8 oz with the scope on it. There is a huge market supporting it with lots of ways to customize it for you use. I am not big on semi auto rifles, but I will probably build another one soon.

Caleb

They are just a really good platform for multiple uses, you have magazine capability, you can build them to be pretty light, my last AR weighed in a 5 lbs 8 oz with the scope on it. There is a huge market supporting it with lots of ways to customize it for you use. I am not big on semi auto rifles, but I will probably build another one soon.

Compare them to the Jeep/Toyota of rifles. You can build them to your liking and the aftermarket support is huge. That is a really good point what firstzukman said, a new barrel and you can shoot many different calibers. Or for a little more money, a new upper and you can swap between calibers in about 30 seconds. I was never really a carbine fan, would have rather had a nice bolt action rifle. However, after getting my first AR, it's become quite addicting. Then I built one and it made that addiction even worse. :D

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Compare them to the Jeep/Toyota of rifles. You can build them to your liking and the aftermarket support is huge. That is a really good point what firstzukman said, a new barrel and you can shoot many different calibers. Or for a little more money, a new upper and you can swap between calibers in about 30 seconds. I was never really a carbine fan, would have rather had a nice bolt action rifle. However, after getting my first AR, it's become quite addicting. Then I built one and it made that addiction even worse. :D

This...

Seven

Like a couple others have stated. My suggestion is to get a 22 first. either a lever or Semi. Learn and have fun with that. Once you decide to move on then you have many choices. In the smaller centerfire calibers I think the 223 is the best bang for the buck. In the Larger calibers the best bang for buck are the 30-06 and the 308. I base that on the availability and cost of ammo and all the info that is out there on them.

Since everyone is stating their pet cartridge I am going to throw a vote out there for 6.8 SPC. I don't know if I would suggest getting into the AR game. They can become a hobby within themselves(a pretty expensive one). Always wanting to change out or build a new one and leads to daily checking Palmetto State, Slickguns and a myriad of other sites for deals on parts that you want to try but cant really afford but somehow you keep clicking "add to cart" and before you know it your wallet is out. With that being said I have a complete AR15 upper in 5.56/223 that I can sell you for a good price :)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm far from an expert and most everyone has given you great advice... so like the others, I'll add mine.

Start with Hunters Safety.... get a decent 22LR, bolt-action IMO (because you learn to make every shot count rather than just pulling the trigger again & again like a Ruger 10/22) and spend a LOT of time plinking, targets, small game, whatever. Eventually upgrade to something capable of shooting a coyote (or deer) at 300 yards. I like the 5.56/.223 round (get a gun chambered for 5.56, it can shoot .223 which is less expensive but it doesn't work the other way around), but I also have a hunting rifle in .243 that could take down an Elk with a well placed shot within 300 yrds. I would like to use it for a coyote gun, someday...

I have 2, 22LR rifles... a bolt action Savage with a bull barrel and a scope and a Ruger 10/22 with open sights. Both are fun in different ways! Here's a link and a lot of info about the Savage 22LR - www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?72278-Plinking-Savage-rifle-with-or-w-o-Accutrigger

My .243 is also a Stevens (cheaper brand built by Savage, seems to be decent and afforable)

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.

So which gun would you say is the Toyota? I'd need to steer clear of that one!:D

LT.

For hunting your first step is hunter safety class. For getting your feet wet shooting I would suggest going to a gun shop that has an indoor range and firearms you can rent. I prefer Impact Guns. Try, before you buy. I will go against the grain here and suggest your first rifle be a .223 bolt action or semi auto. AR's are great but, for accuracy a bolt action is far superior. With a bolt action .223 it won't take long for your confidence to show. Simple, reliable, and accurate.

.223 ammo is far easier to find rounds for currently. If you get a rifle and it is chambered for 5.56 mm it will also shoot .223. But, a rifle chambered for .223 should not shoot 5.56. Make sure you learn to shoot from a qualified instructor. There is a huge difference between learning to shoot from a friend and a quality instructor. Do not cheat yourself here.

LT.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I would not recommend an AR as your first rifle. Semi autos are far easier to be unsafe with. In addition to that, almost any AR you put a scope on will not shoot to point of aim at different distances. The center of the bore and center of the scope on an AR are close to an inch away from one another. Since the scope and bore have to be on intersecting paths at a given distance you get a larger margin of error in an AR. So if you sight it in at 100 yards, it will be 1/2" low at 50 yards. It's not a big deal for an experienced shooter but may be frustrating when you are starting out. Just my opinion.