I think I'm being scammed

sixstringsteve

About to buy an airstream tomorrow in .CA. I'm scared I'm being scammed. Owner has great English, pictures, and service records. However , at the last minute he told me he can't meet me and third party will be meeting me with all the signed paperwork in his name.

There's a lean on the title, and the bank has it. So he wants me to trade a check to the bank and a check to him, for the airstream and a signed bill of sale via this random guy. Then they'll mail me the title when it's all done.

Would it be stupid to sign a bill of sale without the actual seller there?

Steve

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Meet him at the bank that holds the lien, verify the payoff amount, and write the check to them in return for the title and then a check for the difference to the seller.
That way you know the bank got the money and you got the title.
That's what we did when we sold our trailer.
Could be legit, but too big of a purchase to risk.
Just tell him you are uncomfortable with an intermediary and stay firm. If he's legit, he'll accommodate. If he goes radio-silent, he scamming you.

I was in Texas when I sold a boat to a guy from California. It took lots of convincing on his part to get me to do it.
End result was he flew out one-way, rented a truck with a hitch, went to a branch of his bank and I watched them write out a cashiers check to me.
The boat had a lien on it and he drove away without the title (funny thing is, he did this sight unseen, never even started the engine,never put it in the water)
I forwarded the title once I got it (lien wasn't held by a local bank). He was fortunate that I was legit. I never would have done the same.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Thanks eric. That's what I'm planning on doing. I'll go to his bank, verify that his name is on the title, and have him mail it to me. Thanks for that info.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
With my trailer it was a little easier. They buyers were financing it with the same bank (Mt. America) so the name on the lien just got transferred to them. Also, Mt. America put the paperwork into DMV in lieu of clear title in hand.
In your case, the bank might not care who pays the note off and will probably mail it to the seller. I'd prefer to have the title in hand as I leave, but knowing the lien is paid, possession of the trailer, and the bill of sale, you do have legal recourse if the guy flakes on you. The nuisance my boat buyer had was the time it took for the bank to send me the title exceeded the time period in which he was supposed to register the boat in CA.

DAA

Similar deal as Eric when I sold my Mega cab except guy in Idaho sent an intermediary down on a bus with cashiers checks that went to my bank with me and drove the truck back to Idaho.

- DAA

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Rather than write two checks when I bought my LX I got it written for the full purchase price and presented it to the bank with the lien. (America First) They took what they needed to clear the loan then deposited what was left into the sellers account.

I wouldn't necessarily kill the deal, like others have said just make sure the seller is on the lien and that its held by the bank and not a payday lender or something like that.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Make sure the local branch you are paying the loan off at has the title. Most often they are kept somewhere else, and will need to be mailed in. Also, other states have different laws. The title may require a notary be present for the signing, which the bank will have.

04F150

definitely go to his bank they will verify payoff and take your info down to send you the title, also verify the vin number with the bank. if you cant go to his bank don't do it

ID Bronco

Thanks eric. That's what I'm planning on doing. I'll go to his bank, verify that his name is on the title, and have him mail it to me. Thanks for that info.

The last part is the part I would not do. I would want the title in hand before I left. If they don't keep it at that branch maybe he can request they get it knowing he will be in to pay it off on a certain date.

04F150

the bank will mail the title to the new owner if they do not have it in the branch. i have bought several that way and would only do it if the bank agrees to mail the title

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Maybe I missed it somewhere but why is he buying a new airstream? Didn't they just finish all the solar and batteries and converter I stall this spring?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Have you ever met Steve? He has been trying to sell the airstream and the van since the day he bought them. He has AAADD Adult Automotive Attention Deficit Disorder. The only person I have ever know with a worse case of AAADD is Cascadia.

sixstringsteve

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up not buying it. What a waste of time, energy, and fuel. It wasn't nearly as clean as it was represented to me, and the seller wouldn't budge on price. A.C. was broken and the fridge was struggling.

But I really appreciate everyone's advice here, it was just what I needed.

Bart

Sounds like it was a legitimate deal, just misrepresented. Much better to have lost time and little resources than to be stuck in a bad deal. Hope all is well Steve.