I want to drive/ride to Hyder, AK next year...

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Keep in mind that my first trip went from anchorage to LA. We did that in three days including a full night in a hotel in Portland. That was when the road wasn't fully paved and was pretty slow going. If you have ten days that's plenty of time to ride to anchorage and back.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Keep in mind that my first trip went from anchorage to LA. We did that in three days including a full night in a hotel in Portland. That was when the road wasn't fully paved and was pretty slow going. If you have ten days that's plenty of time to ride to anchorage and back.

Perhaps in a car, but I don't think 10 days is enough time on a bike to get to Anchorage and back. I can do 600-650 miles a day on the bike... but those are long, grueling days and I want enough time to stop, explore, take pics & rest my ass. It's much easier to crank out massive miles in a car versus on a bike IMO. 600 miles a day on the bike... 3,200 miles from CO to Anchorage = 5.5 days of riding... one way. I've done 1,200 miles a day in a car and it's much less tiring compared to a bike. I don't know if it's the wear & tear on the body of being on a bike, the heightened awareness of riding or what... but 600 miles a day is what I'm good with.

Houndoc

I have dreamed of taking the Alaska/Canadian highway one direction, returning via barge.

Have spent a couple weeks along the inside passage (tip of Prince of Wales Island) and one in Nome. Alaska is worth the trip.

Tonkaman

If you have a felony or misdemeanor on your record and don't want to be turned away, you need to apply take measures in advance. Most of the time it's people with DUI or DWI that hear rumors. Here's where to start or something like it.

A buddy I grew up with was removed from a bus that was a on a ski trip heading up to Tremblant. Imagine the annoyance of the person that had to go up and get him at the boarder. He's since traveled into Canada but had to meet the standards/paperwork required in advance. I think it was 2 months or so, at minimum, or something like that.

Well that just got complicated....

Greg

Admin
I have dreamed of taking the Alaska/Canadian highway one direction, returning via barge.

Have spent a couple weeks along the inside passage (tip of Prince of Wales Island) and one in Nome. Alaska is worth the trip.

:cool: I hope to make more than 1 or 2 trips up that way.

If you have a felony or misdemeanor on your record and don't want to be turned away, you need to apply take measures in advance. Most of the time it's people with DUI or DWI that hear rumors. Here's where to start or something like it.

A buddy I grew up with was removed from a bus that was a on a ski trip heading up to Tremblant. Imagine the annoyance of the person that had to go up and get him at the boarder. He's since traveled into Canada but had to meet the standards/paperwork required in advance. I think it was 2 months or so, at minimum, or something like that.

Humm... no DUI's, but I have some stuff in the past resulting in an arrest. I don't think I have anything to worry about based on that link.

Oh, and I forgot to add, Alaska is for sure on my list. I've only got 4 states left to see. I'm hoping within the next five years or so.

That's awesome!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Finally. 2016 it is--hopefully. A good friend and I are committed to driving to Hyder later this summer. I am reeaaally excited :D

Right on.

I've not been to Hyder so perhaps you gents can share the lure of getting there? Guessing it's a pretty neat place?

I made the drive up to Alaska (as far north as the Yukon River Bridge on the Dalton), such an amazing place and I really want to go back and finish the Dalton to Prudhoe which will effectively complete the PanAmerica Highway on my bucket list. It's a super long drive but sooooo worth it. I really want to get to Nome too.

A guy in my neighborhood and his BIL drove adventure bikes to Alaska a year or two ago. Sounded like a really fun adventure. PM me if you want to get in touch with them.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I've not been to Hyder so perhaps you gents can share the lure of getting there? Guessing it's a pretty neat place?

I made the drive up to Alaska (as far north as the Yukon River Bridge on the Dalton), such an amazing place and I really want to go back and finish the Dalton to Prudhoe which will effectively complete the PanAmerica Highway on my bucket list. It's a super long drive but sooooo worth it. I really want to get to Nome too.

Yes it looks like a neat little/old town with some interesting history. To be honest the lure of Hyder for me is finally being able to say I drove to Alaska. I think Greg was right though it is kind of a cheaters/copout way of doing it :D Either way the glaciers are a big reason I want to go on this trip. There are some really big ones in the surrounding area. That and it will be the most remote (and likely most scenic) place I've ever been to so that will be fun.

This trip will mostly take place in BC. My friends cousin lives near Vanderhoof (on an enormous ranch) and we'll visit there for a few days. The mountains and glacier carved valleys of BC should make for an awesome trip.

Completing the Pan-Am would be quite an achievement I think :cool: I hope to drive or ride to Prudhoe when my kids are a bit older and I can take my sweet time.

A guy in my neighborhood and his BIL drove adventure bikes to Alaska a year or two ago. Sounded like a really fun adventure. PM me if you want to get in touch with them.

Riding to Alaska would be a life changing experience. Thanks, I might hit you up as the dates get closer.

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'm tentatively planning on taking off mid June to drive the Dalton. I'm hoping 4 weeks would be enough to get up there and back....4 wheels though.

Greg

Admin
We compromised with our Canada trip last year... instead of me on my bike, we took the car and stayed in Canada. Driving to Hyder would have been one HELL of a roadtrip in addition to our trip to Banff, it was 3,600 miles roundtrip to Canada and back. I still want to get to Hyder, but not sure if a bike is the way to go. I think I still want to drive thru BC and see Hyder, but in a car. When I do get to Alaska proper, I think I'll fly up there, rent a motorcycle (like a V-Strom) and ride from there for a week or so, then fly back home. If I had more vacation and money, I'd drive/ride up & back, but for now I have to plan around work. :rolleyes:

I'm jealous Andrew and Cody!

Houndoc

I'm tentatively planning on taking off mid June to drive the Dalton. I'm hoping 4 weeks would be enough to get up there and back....4 wheels though.

I want to go back to the Dalton two more times. One to fish my way from Fairbanks to Deadhorse and the other a winter trip.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I'm tentatively planning on taking off mid June to drive the Dalton.

Sweet! Should be great that time of year :cool:

We compromised with our Canada trip last year... instead of me on my bike, we took the car and stayed in Canada. Driving to Hyder would have been one HELL of a roadtrip in addition to our trip to Banff, it was 3,600 miles roundtrip to Canada and back.

I still want to get to Hyder, but not sure if a bike is the way to go. I think I still want to drive thru BC and see Hyder, but in a car.

When I do get to Alaska proper, I think I'll fly up there, rent a motorcycle (like a V-Strom) and ride from there for a week or so, then fly back home. If I had more vacation and money, I'd drive/ride up & back, but for now I have to plan around work. :rolleyes:

The miles are definitely going to be above and beyond any distance I've ever driven in a single trip before. I hope three weeks will be enough.

I have similar feelings about this route on a bike. Too many miles, not enough time and lots of rain killed that idea for me. I guess plenty of people have rode it on a 640 Adventure, but I think I'd prefer a Goldwing and heated gear haha.

Fly and ride would be awesome. I hope to do the big Alaskan trip in a pickup with slide in camper, take a leave of absence from work and spend the summer up there. That's a few years out though. I'd like to wait until the kids are old enough to actually enjoy it.

So what vehicle will you be driving? :)

So.. um.. about that, I sorta hijacked your thread and stole your idea of driving a TDI :eek:

From what I've been reading/hearing there should be no reason not to take the VW. I hope to have the underbelly skid by then. I'm always nervous of bashing the low hanging alum oil pan.

KWight

I am contemplating putting Alaska on my list for this summer as well, although my plan is very different. I am looking to change jobs to a school based position that makes half the money I am making now. My children's needs require me to make this switch and there will be additional income due to their disabilities. Between that and the decreased income, I will be able to make ends meet and travel with them during school breaks. Now, who wants to buy a large house with acreage near Greg?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I am contemplating putting Alaska on my list for this summer as well, although my plan is very different. I am looking to change jobs to a school based position that makes half the money I am making now. My children's needs require me to make this switch and there will be additional income due to their disabilities. Between that and the decreased income, I will be able to make ends meet and travel with them during school breaks. Now, who wants to buy a large house with acreage near Greg?

You had me 100% till I read that last word. :D