Ice fishing trips anyone ?

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Just wanted to find out how everyone has been doing ice fishing this year. We have hit several spots so far this season:

Currant Creek has been very good the two times I've made it there.
Deer Creek was slow mostly due to too many noisy people.
Fish Lake We went last Saturday and caught a couple of limits of perch and splake, lots of fun.
next weekend Flaming Gorge

Last edited:

jdub

Scrambler
If you like river fishing too. The Green is amazing in the snow. I think my best fishing trip ever was up there during a big snow storm.

Houndoc

What are you going after at the Gorge? I have heard that ice fishing for burbot is supposed to be a blast (and you can use 6 poles.)

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
What are you going after at the Gorge? I have heard that ice fishing for burbot is supposed to be a blast (and you can use 6 poles.)

We will be going after the burbots and macs. We got some burbots last year and hope to get more this time since I found out what I wasn't doing right last time up.

richpblaze

I don't ice fish.

I river fish, here is one of the four I caught last week. :D

Nicebrown-1.jpg

rholbrook

I river fish, here is one of the four I caught last week. :D

Nicebrown-1.jpg

I'm with you Rich. My friend owns a bunch of property right smack dab in the middle of the middle Provo. We need to fish it.We also need to take a roadie to Farmington, NM to fish the San Juan. The Texas Hole has been good to me. I caught a 13lb Rainbow out of there 3 years ago. It has started to get really crowded there so I only go every other year now. We can drop your Toy and my Jeep off in Moab and go for a trail ride on the way back.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
So I'm thinking of going ice fishing for the first time in 5 years, Anybody have some recommendations of where to go? (anywhere from logan to Provo)

Is Deer Creek frozen? any good?

Last edited:

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Post up a report...I haven't ice fished up there but know I should!

Sorry I am late with the report on our Gorge trip. We went up on a friday afternoon to the Buckboard area and went north a ways to get away from crowds. We found a likely spot and set up for an evening attempt at the burbots. When the bite started my son in law started getting them but my son and I weren't. So we drilled some holes by my son in law and scared them away. It did pick back up in a while and my son in law and I got ten of them before climbing into the sleeping bags. I left two rigs in the water and tied them to my cot so I wouldn't lose the poles. I woke up about 4AM to see if there was anything on and I had two of them on. Unfortunately the two of them had tangled everything up. I landed the first one but lost the second one. For the next half hour I got lots of bites and caught the biggest ones of the trip. Later in the morning I went out and went into deeper water and found the macs. We had a blast pulling up tons of macs the rest of the day. My son had a date Saturday night so we couldn't stay for another try at the burbots. My son lost one nice mac but the rest were pups that went up to 24 inches. We had a great trip and came home with three limits of macs and a couple of bags of slimy burbots.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
So I'm thinking of going ice fishing for the first time in 5 years, Anybody have some recommendations of where to go? (anywhere from logan to Provo)

Is Deer Creek frozen? any good?

Deer Creek is frozen we went up once and did OK. We fished on the north side of the island.
They have caught lots of perch at Pineview.
Mantua was good early on but I haven't heard much lately.
East Canyon has been good this season.
My dad has done well at Rockport.
We have done well at Current Creek.
Strawberry is good but there is a lot of slush.
Fish Lake has been excellent but its a bit of a drive.
The Gorge has been excellent too.

Take a good pair of boots, there is getting to be a lot of slush on some of the lakes.

M

muddyjeep

This was my fishing trip this weekend!!
[YOUTUBE]JmK7QIuYS_M[/YOUTUBE]

That looks like Pineview!

Went up there on the 15th of January.
My Brother and I caught over a hundred perch but they where
all very small.