I'm building a another 14 bolt front axle.

JPTHING

Is the slight strength increase worth the loss of ground clearance? I know in the rear the big 14 bolt will slide over stuff, but in the front it seems like having an anchor hangin under there.

I might be missing something though.
I have read some articles where, A "properly" shaved 14 bolt can give as much ground clearance as a D44. Plus I can actually build a 14 bolt for the same price as buying someones D60. I figure if I get rid of my Chevy Knuckles, pick up some Ford Knuckles, I can use the way less expensive TTB splindle, wheel hub, brakes, and other usable parts so I can build it for pretty cheap. I know it is not always cheaper, my first 14 bolt cost me almost $7k when it was finished(partly due to POS OX Joints $500 what a waste of money), but it does have a bunch of goodies.

Last edited:

jsudar

I think it's pretty cool. My neighbor wants to build a front 14B out of an old one I have laying around. I will have to direct him to this thread.

The only thing I would worry about with those seals-it things, is that they are designed to keep mud and dirt out of the axle tube, not keep gear oil in. I would polish up a spot on your axle shafts, mic it and find a seal that will work with that diameter. there is plenty of meat on the axle tube inside the diff housing to machine a pocket for a seal.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
The only thing I would worry about with those seals-it things, is that they are designed to keep mud and dirt out of the axle tube, not keep gear oil in.

Actually you are wrong one that one. Yes the ones made to go on the outside of the axle tube (Jeep Dana 30/44) are more designed to keep crap out. They also make ones that go on the inside of the axle tube (right next to the diff) and they are designed more to keep the oil in the diff housing.

Last edited:

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Yep try taking a look at the links I posted........

Inner seal
sit-as9218.jpg

Dana 30/44 outer seal
sit-10-2032ar_w.jpg

Last edited:

STAG

On my grind
I know of a guy who just did this to a 9" rear axle... well sorta... he didn't have it be a steering axle, but he did have his tubes welded to another tube...

He had the inside of the 9" tube sleeved with an inserted smaller peice of pipe...
DSCN0157.jpg

And slid the last few inches of a Sterling 10.25" onto the ends and welded 'er up...
DSCN0152.jpg

I guess you could do the same with your axle if you wished... I personally think it would be oodles easier to just cut out the old, and push in a new tube and cut to the length that you need.

Consaka

Well actually the last raw D60 Chromo shafts I bought were a hair under 1-5/8" which is what a 14 bolt has. I had them splined to 30 splines, and they are almost 1/8" bigger than a D60 shaft. Plus the 14 bolt has the pinion support, easy to setup, super strong carrier.

That in itself is good enough for me. I love the 14 bolt setup and wish a 14 bolt front had been standard equipment. Considering the difficulty finding decent d60 stuff around here, I think someone could make some serious money building 14 bolt front axles. Shaved of course.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
i read an article that crane high clearence makes a inner axle seal for the 14 bolt. they use speacial spanners nuts that accept dana 60 inner axle seals.

they call them revolution 14

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
:eek: Where are you that shved 14bolt fronts make more sense than a 60?? Or where you can't get 60 stuff??

just curious

That in itself is good enough for me. I love the 14 bolt setup and wish a 14 bolt front had been standard equipment. Considering the difficulty finding decent d60 stuff around here, I think someone could make some serious money building 14 bolt front axles. Shaved of course.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
When I see 14 bolt, I hear banjo music playing in my head... I know they are strong and you can shave them but you can also shave other axles... IMO if you are going as far as a 14 bolt, you might as well just go for the whole rockwell idea.