Introducing "Expy" the Expedition...

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
We loved our Drawer set up in the Jeep, and have an upcoming Moab trip planned, so drawers got made today. We put a lot of thought and effort into how we wanted to build them. We don't need the rear seats, and don't plan on using them, but my wife wanted to keep the option open. The drawers needed to be semi-removable. I decided to go for a 60/40 split to match the rear seats. This allows the smaller one to be placed on top of the other, and let the single seat lift up. The wider box can be pulled out, and the double seat lifted up if 2 seats are needed, while the smaller box stays put. Or they can both come out for all 3 seats to be used. The floor slopes towards the back, so I had to lift the back edge of the drawers to get a level and stable surface. The drawers are about 4'x4', so it gives us plenty of room.
Ive got some shiny diamond plate I plat to put on the drawer faces to give it a fancy look.

IMG_2596.JPGIMG_2598.JPGIMG_2599.JPGIMG_2602.JPGIMG_2604.JPGIMG_2607.JPGIMG_2608.JPG

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
That looks great, what size wood did you use for the top and sides? How much weight do you think that would support? I'd love to make something similar for my JK to have organized storage and still have a platform for my great dane to sit on. Are the actual drawers on slides or are they tight enough fit to just slide in and out without wobbling?

rholbrook

The big reason I own the Expys is because of the fold flat third row seats. I know I don't use them a ton but its nice to have them. It may be hard to work around that unless you can attach them in the corners some how.

Pike2350

How convenient, you even put a toilet in on the small side....you know, for those long road trips you don't want to pull over. :lol:

Looks good. I need to redo my drawers in my Rodeo to match the rear seats, instead of one big setup....when I originally had a 1 piece rear seat.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
That looks great, what size wood did you use for the top and sides? How much weight do you think that would support? I'd love to make something similar for my JK to have organized storage and still have a platform for my great dane to sit on. Are the actual drawers on slides or are they tight enough fit to just slide in and out without wobbling?

I used 1/2 plywood, and 1x8 sides. Plenty strong. It's got a couple hundreds pounds of gear on it right now. The drawers just slide on the wood bottom. No fancy sliders here.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
After our last outing, I realized we sit waay to low. A Lift is in need. I just need to figure out how to put it on, and then tell my wife I bought it.

We had a chance to drive in the snow yesterday. I was able to get a better feel of how the traction control, 2wd/awd/4wd settings work on the expy. I understand that cars are built to the lowest common denominator, so cutting engine power to reduce wheel spin may be the best choice, but I am not a fan of it. I realized if not paying attention, it can easily give a person a false sense of security. The traction control did a great job of making the road 'feel' safe, but when stopping time came it was of no help, and we would slide for a long distance. I much prefer the quadra track we had in the Grand over the expy's traction control.
We have also learned that the dual climate control in the jeep was far superior to not having it in the expy.

With all that said, we are very happy with the Expy so far.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Does Expy have the "automatic" 4WD? I had that crap in my Explorer, and hated it so much I disabled the ABS to turn it off. Very grateful that my F150 doesn't have that junk, even if it is electronic.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
So I have to go get a plate on the Expy, and am really playing with the idea of a vanity plate. I completely understand that I am not 'expo' by any means, but it would be a fun play on the expedition.
Nay good plate ideas?
Go Expo
So Expo
Expo x5 (five in our family)
Expo Ex (as in expo expedition)

Other thoughts?