Introducing "Expy" the Expedition...

Spark Plug or is this an extension of your previous fuel problem? I've done spark plugs on motorcycles, but never on an Expedition. I have 12mm and 14mm time-sert kits if you need one. IMO Time-sert is worlds better than a hell-coil because they are one piece.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Spark plug for sure. Blew it clean out of the head.
Big o can fix it for about $300. That seems like a good deal, as I would have to buy the tools and stuff. We head to Yellowstone shortly.. So even after they fix it, I am now hesitant to take the expy.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Spark plug for sure. Blew it clean out of the head.
Big o can fix it for about $300. That seems like a good deal, as I would have to buy the tools and stuff. We head to Yellowstone shortly.. So even after they fix it, I am now hesitant to take the expy.

I had to get one of mine coiled too, it was up under the firewall and I didn't wanna deal with it. It's been solid since the repair, I wouldn't let it stop you from driving the truck.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I had a friend have same thing happen on their Expedition. He repaired a couple years ago and they still use it to tow their boat. Get it fixed and drive the crap out of the thing.

sixstringsteve

Does this have the 5.4L? I've heard of the v10s and 5.4s having this problem.

I'm with Marc. Get it fixed, and drive it into the ground. I'm not sure I'd trust big o to do the job, but that's just me.

Brad J

IMO Time-sert is worlds better than a hell-coil because they are one piece.
This!

I cross threaded a spark plug in the new head on my Mercury Tracer & didn't know it till the sparkplug backed out about 6 months later. I reinstalled it but it was starting to do it daily. After a few days I saw the problem & tried to insert it in straight & it stripped the threads. I tried to heli coil due to the cost of the Time-sert tool. It went bad, very bad. The spark plugs are recessed in the head so I guessed when I was deep enough with lock-tite on the threads & when I backed out realized I was too deep but couldn't grab it to get it out. The engine turned over without hitting the heli-coil but the spark plug sat too deep & the electrode broke off. I had to take the head off & get it back to Metric Motors in Centerville. They did a Time-sert insert for around $150 & I was back in business after I got it back together. I would pay the $ for a machine shop to do a Time-sert if they can do it with the head on the engine.

I hope your luck changes.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Big o in sandy had it done in just a few hours today. $205 including new coil. I couldn't be happier with the price and quick turn around they had. 5 star recommendation.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
We threw done a little less than 1,000 miles this week. Expy did great. Sooooooooooo glad this whole deal was such an easy fix.