Introducing "Expy" the Expedition...

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
We have developed a fuel smell from expy. It started out irregular, then became constant, and now is a string has odor. I have identified that the Schrader valve on the fuel rail is leaking fuel. Can that just be replaced like a tire valve??

Tonkaman

Can a cap be bought to screw on the valve? Maybe something a little better than a metal valve stem cap that you would use on your tires. Then you could use the port for troubleshooting purposes later on in life.

This is a good idea. There are metal valve caps with o-rings that can hold 40 psi

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I took a couple minutes on Saturday and played with the Schrader valve. I twisted it tight, I'd didn't really move any, but is for sure more snug than before. I also pushed the valve down a couple times. I turned the key to build up pressure and pushed the valve a couple more times spraying fuel out. I dried it all up, and started the expy. No leak! We've gone 5 days now without a single smell. I have not visually checked it yet. My wife says the fuel gauge is moving much slower, but we will have to see at fill up if it really made a difference.

No welding involved yet ;)

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I moved my mother down to ticaboo this weekend. I made it about 10 miles back towards home, and I blew a plug put of my head. :( major suck. Had a buddy drive down and tow me home.

Has anyone done an insert repair on these? I have looked it up and have a good ideas of what it will take... But am not really looking forward to it.
I need a truck before Tuesday, so I may just end up buying something else..