Official Is a rooftop tent (RTT) for me?

Ford Prefect

I understand that there are a few companies who make "family style" tents. They are all meant to be on a trailer, but they tend to have two rooms, and two doors and ladders. So I should think that a family of four or five would do ok in one of those. The other choice that I have seen (in photos) is simply putting two of them up there, one for you your wife and one for the kids.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I understand that there are a few companies who make "family style" tents. They are all meant to be on a trailer, but they tend to have two rooms, and two doors and ladders. So I should think that a family of four or five would do ok in one of those. The other choice that I have seen (in photos) is simply putting two of them up there, one for you your wife and one for the kids.

There are several bigger 'family' tents on the market, some have annex's big enough that you could set up a couple of cots. Eezi-Awn and Serengeti both have trailer or low mount specific tents as well. :cool:

Ford Prefect

Al of the photos I have seen of the annexes appear to only have three walls, IE the vehicle side has no wall. Is that correct? The reason I ask is that it seems like a lot of wind could come in through that kind of a gap.

Oh, and while I am asking questions, what do you think of the Hannibal awnings? I really like the idea of the way they work, and while I know it will be some time before I get into awnings, just thought I would ask while we have an expert on the hook.

Thanks

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Al of the photos I have seen of the annexes appear to only have three walls, IE the vehicle side has no wall. Is that correct? The reason I ask is that it seems like a lot of wind could come in through that kind of a gap.

They are available with 4 sides, just depends on the model. I'll be in Moab this weekend with a customer who just picked one up for his ARB Simpson III, I'll snap some pics when we set it up.

Oh, and while I am asking questions, what do you think of the Hannibal awnings? I really like the idea of the way they work, and while I know it will be some time before I get into awnings, just thought I would ask while we have an expert on the hook.

Thanks

I'm honestly not too familiar with the Hannibal awnings, I've seen them in use but have not had a chance to really mess around with them. I do have some of the ARB awnings in stock and know them well... I'll be mounting one on my Tacoma in the coming weeks.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Got a laugh out of this RTT setup:

AIRE%20VISTA%20EXTERNA%202.jpg

AIRE%20VISTA%20INTERNA%202.jpg

Yes, that is an AC unit :cool:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Updated with a new (to me) manufacture, ExpeditionCabins (not in the US as far as I know)

Their model:
P_5ece401922.jpg

Wish I could read more about their models but my German is rusty :D

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Interesting idea. With modern materials you could update that quite a bit to reduce weight. Still with how easy newer tents are to set up and things like air pads, this doesn't offer much benefit. Still cool.

I agree, but I do believe that there is plenty of room for upgrading and customization over the current models on the market out there however I'm pleased with my current setup enough that in over 150 nights I've yet to make a change... either I'm lazy or content. :p

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I agree, but I do believe that there is plenty of room for upgrading and customization over the current models on the market out there however I'm pleased with my current setup enough that in over 150 nights I've yet to make a change... either I'm lazy or content. :p

I'm gonna go with lazy because how lazy you are with everything else in your life. ;)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'm gonna go with lazy because how lazy you are with everything else in your life. ;)

Have you ever slept in a RTT Stephen? I know I've allowed a handful of folks to bunk up (head to toe) in my tent in the past, you?

I'd be interested to hear what others thought of the whole RTT concept. I know on a recent trip (Pony Express Trail SLC to Tahoe) the tent was really selling itself. Combine late nights, bad weather, muddy feet and deflated air mattresses and the ARB tent was a knight in shining armor :D

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I've spent 1 or two nights in an RTT.. Once in Paul R's, and possibly once in yours Kurt. I was a non-believer at first, and continued to hold onto the idea that they were just an over glorified attempt at sleeping while camping. But, the more time I spend loaded down for a 2+ day trip, the slightly more annoying it is to pull all my stuff out the truck, arrange it just right, lay out a pad or blow up air mattress, get in and situated - sometimes soaking wet and cold by this point.. It beats the setup time of a tent in bad weather, but not by much..

The more I think about a better solution, it does involve an RTT. That way the interior is left in storage mode the whole trip; rather than pulling double duty by moving heavy boxes, containers, and bags to make room for sleeping.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Have you ever slept in a RTT Stephen? I know I've allowed a handful of folks to bunk up (head to toe) in my tent in the past, you?

I'd be interested to hear what others thought of the whole RTT concept. I know on a recent trip (Pony Express Trail SLC to Tahoe) the tent was really selling itself. Combine late nights, bad weather, muddy feet and deflated air mattresses and the ARB tent was a knight in shining armor :D

We've cuddled a few times before, but never in the RTT and you've usually been drunk so theres been none of this head to toe crap.:eek:

Same time you were on the PET I was out in the Deep Creeks with some folks who had RTT's and I've got to say, it made me seriously jealous. As much as I tout how hardcore I am for sleeping on the ground (albeit with a comfy air pad now a days. Learned my lesson after Thanksgiving last year.), there is something that is just so appealing about rolling into camp and in just a few minutes your tent is set up and all the bedding is ready to go.

As I've stated many times before, If they made a small enough one, or if I had a larger vehicle, I'd be totally sold on the RTT setup.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I finally spent a couple nights in my new (to me) Camping Labs RTT and it was a huge upgrade over the old 1st Gen Mombasa I've had for the last 2 years. The mattress was much more firm, almost uncomfortable at first, but I got used to it and was very happy that my hips didn't sink to the floor, like they did on the old tent. I woke up feeling good, not sore like had happened before in the old tent. This new Camping Labs tent is very nice, the vestibules over the windows and doors add to the setup time, but for the added protection from sun and rain, it was a welcome change. I really like the darker fabric of the newer tent as well, it keeps the light out so much better and actually allows one to sleep in beyond sunrise. The old Mombasa was so light colored, you woke up at first light because it was so bright inside.

All in all, I'm sold on the RTT. I see myself hanging onto the current Camping Labs tent for years to come and using it often.

1062299379_ALBpK-M.jpg

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I picked up an annex for my ARB rtt (thanks Kurt!) and am very surprised how much room it adds to the tent. Now our dogs can sleep down there and when my kids get a little larger I can put a cot down there and sleep down there myself. It also allows us to have a place to change since its kinda hard changing in the rtt itself. Very impressed with the quality of it. Can't wait to take it out.

DSC_0392.jpg

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Glad to hear you like it Lewis. If your RTT is at a level where the annex is practical (like 5' +) I think its a fantastic way to come up with some more dry space, sleeping area or even a cooking area out of the rain.