J.O.A.T. Sierra

LT.

small block, you'll get 11ish mpg, big block you'll get 8, maybe 9 mpg..... Big block for the win

Really? I got to admit, I didnt think anyone would pull for an old big block. I am still on the fence. I was really thinking 383 small block. I just had the TH-350 built. I do not want to do a tranny swap. Has anyone had a big block in front of a th350 and had it live?

LT.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I had a T350 behind my 402(late 396). It did survive but I didn't beat on it at all. It could be fun to put a modern LS motor/trans in an old dog like this?

LT.

I had a T350 behind my 402(late 396). It did survive but I didn't beat on it at all. It could be fun to put a modern LS motor/trans in an old dog like this?

It would be awesome to purchase the ls and the 4l70e tranny chevy offers. I think it is called a connect and cruise package. My issue is that this is my daily driver/kick around rig. I would like to keep it simple, easy, and less expensive. I was not prepared to address the engine issue so soon. I was totally unprepared to spend this much already.

LT.

mbryson

Supporting Member
It would be awesome to purchase the ls and the 4l70e tranny chevy offers. I think it is called a connect and cruise package. My issue is that this is my daily driver/kick around rig. I would like to keep it simple, easy, and less expensive. I was not prepared to address the engine issue so soon. I was totally unprepared to spend this much already.

LT.

I bet your local machine shop can have you a 350 turned around for $500-700 within a week :D Nothing wrong with what you're thinking with the cheap, reliable. I wonder if you could scrounge up a cheap TBI Suburban or truck and just swap that over? You'd get the overdrive of a 700r4 (that'll get you at least 3-4 mpg) and pretty similar reliability to a carbed 350. Might get lucky and find one with a rebuilt trans or engine?

You have done the trans. I might just do a fresh build on the 350 and roll with it how it is. Sounds like you're up for that :D (just an observation on the body of the truck....I'm not sure if you're planning a full restore or if you're just going to run it around as is with a reliable drivetrain, but if you do restore the body, I'd be surprised if you're not putting cab corners, rockers and floors in the truck with the way the door looks----personally, I'd make it reliable and drive it as is and leave the body) The engine could just keep going for a long time? Who knows?

Last edited:

LT.

I bet your local machine shop can have you a 350 turned around for $500-700 within a week :D Nothing wrong with what you're thinking with the cheap, reliable. I wonder if you could scrounge up a cheap TBI Suburban or truck and just swap that over? You'd get the overdrive of a 700r4 (that'll get you at least 3-4 mpg) and pretty similar reliability to a carbed 350. Might get lucky and find one with a rebuilt trans or engine?

You have done the trans. I might just do a fresh build on the 350 and roll with it how it is. Sounds like you're up for that :D (just an observation on the body of the truck....I'm not sure if you're planning a full restore or if you're just going to run it around as is with a reliable drivetrain, but if you do restore the body, I'd be surprised if you're not putting cab corners, rockers and floors in the truck with the way the door looks----personally, I'd make it reliable and drive it as is and leave the body) The engine could just keep going for a long time? Who knows?

The body is on the back burner for sure. I originally bought it for my daughter. No sense in doing the body work til after she learns to drive. There are parts of the body that may have to be addressed.

I am having a hard time not doing the engine like I want to. It seems like since I need to address it sooner rather than later that it seems to like I should do it up right.

The springs, upper front shackle mount, all the new greasable hardware, extended brake lines, and such will be getting installed this friday and monday. So, part of the build is still happening even with the bad news.

LT.

SAVAGE

you cant go wrong with a ol' 350. the more money you put into it the more power/mpg it will make. i love the 350's because every auto parts store has every part for that motor on the shelf usually significantly cheaper than parts for other engines. and you can buy them literally by the dozen off ksl every day. I also like the LS engines. they arent quite as popular as the small block chevys yet but i am sure they will be. they are reliable and will defiantly give you great mpg

Bart

Agreed, I love LS motors but there's something special about 350 tbi with a 3 wire hook up, and parts everywhere.

LT.

Okay y'all, I need some help here. I need a new engine and I have a super nice rifle I have never fired. I am asking $4,500 for the rifle and everything I have with it. But, if someone has a nice 383 small block Chevy I would be willing to do a trade. I think I have about $5,500 to $6,000 in the rifle so, the 383 needs to be nice. I am not exactly looking for a straight trade. What I mean is if someone has a 383 and has say $4,000 in it I will do a straight across trade. Does anyone have what I want that would be looking for a wicked nice, unfired rifle?

LT.

LT.

Sierra is still in the shop. Rust is killing the new suspension install. Rear brake lines are twisting instead of coming apart. Cone washers are frozen in the steering arm. Just putting up a fight every step of the way. Maybe I should have let her die in piece.

LT.

LT.

PB blaster a few days before (daily) makes it a lot easier. Kind of too late now :(

Funny thing. I told them that when I dropped the truck off. I don't know what else is holding it up other than just the rust and crust. The truck has now been in the shop two full days 16 plus hours. I went up today just to lend a hand and hopefully pick it up and was told not to. I know this was a little out of the norm for the shop but, I thought it would be kinda cool to modify a truck instead of just repairing it. The truck hopefully will be done sometime tomorrow.

LT.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Take a cut off wheel and start notching the steering arm, I've never been able to get an old Chevy arm off in one piece.

And why no love for the TBI 454? I've built a couple 383's, but I'll go big block from now on.

I've always been a 68 to 72 kinda guy, but these square bodies are kinda growing on me. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

LT.

Take a cut off wheel and start notching the steering arm, I've never been able to get an old Chevy arm off in one piece.

And why no love for the TBI 454? I've built a couple 383's, but I'll go big block from now on.

I've always been a 68 to 72 kinda guy, but these square bodies are kinda growing on me. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Thank you. Steering arm came off in one piece. 454's are good engines, I just don't know if I want the extra weight and poor mileage. The 383 will be plenty of power and torque. Not much less than a big block.

The truck is done this go around. She is a touch high in the front for now. New springs, new longer front shackles are to blame. They will settle down a bit I am sure. The bill was super reasonable. And the work is top notch. All in all well worth the extra time it took. Three full days and quite a few extra details were handled along the way.

Next up is the engine and wheels and tires.

LT.

LT.

Do you have pics of the progress? I'm interested to see them. :cool:

Yes, I do have pictures but, for the life of me I cannot figure out my new phone to get the . pictures off the phone and onto this thread.

On a side note I did my test loop again and checked the mileage. The last time I did the , loop after the tune up I got an amazing 12.19 mpg. This time out after the new suspension I got 11.323 mpg.

The ride seemed a little bouncy. I guess when the suspension is allowed to move in both directions that is a common feeling. Lol. Maybe a shock change would help that a bit.

LT.

LT.

Wow, I guess has happened in the last few days. First off I have a new engine, transmission, transfer cases, doubler, computer, wiring harness, and everything. I did some horse trading for it all. It is a motor y'all were Really wanting me to use with a small twist.

I also mounted up some 40" tires and installed them. The tires Will not stay as they are way too big but, it gave me some idea as to what I really want to run.

LT.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Wow, I guess has happened in the last few days. First off I have a new engine, transmission, transfer cases, doubler, computer, wiring harness, and everything. I did some horse trading for it all. It is a motor y'all were Really wanting me to use with a small twist.

I also mounted up some 40" tires and installed them. The tires Will not stay as they are way too big but, it gave me some idea as to what I really want to run.

LT.

nice!