Jeepers teardrop trailer build.. And give away.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Spent another evening in the garage. We got the trailer frame made up. I used 16g 2" square tube.
in reality, my BIL did about 75% of the welding tonight. I played the roll of an excellent supervisor.

IMG_9923.JPG

We had a little helper also..
IMG_9928.JPG

The axle was a little wider than I thought it would be.. but it's on and functional..

IMG_9931.JPG

We set the camper portion in for some fun.. It will have to come off for the powder coating..

IMG_9936.JPGIMG_9938.JPG

That's when it became plainly obvious that the axle is much too wide. I think it looks like complete junk.
IMG_9939.JPG

It's going to add a bit of extra cost to the project, but I am going to buy a NEW axle, and have it made to the width we want.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Played some more tonight. We framed it in, skinned the interior, ran electrical wires, and did half of the skin on the exterior.
IMG_9946.JPGIMG_9947.JPGIMG_9948.JPGIMG_9949.JPGIMG_9951.JPG

The interior photo really doesn't do the interior justice. It feels very fresh and comfortable in there. The interior wood wall will be stained, and I think it's going to be very comfortable. I was quite surprised at how large it felt inside.

Our total cost so far is $400. I am amazed at how quick the costs add up.

Last edited:

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
We haven't made much progress over the previous pictures. I have been needing to go get our metal siding. I ordered it today, so we should be ready to get rolling on it again next week.

^^ That's a lie! I forgot how much we have done. The frame has been powder coated. The camper part is bolted to it. We have got the interior boards all finished, and the roof vent in place. We got electrical wiring in for the interior and exterior light.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Good thing ya didnt do a hatch. Im in the middle of rebuilding mine . The original builder didnt do it right . Ive been putting it off for a few years so its time to give the TD some attention . I'll be heading to Affiliated Metals this week to get some white aluminum since my trailer is also just over 4 foot wide .

(Re-Edit)
Called a bunch of places today (Affiliated, Metalmart, Semi service) and nobody had 5 foot wide aluminum in white . Ive been told that (white) only comes in 49" widths but ..... If you get the mill finish then it comes in 5 foot widths.

Last edited:

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
We are working on putting the outside metal skins on tonight. What would you guys use to glue then to the wood sides?

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
We were able to get our side skins cut out tonight. We clamped them in place, traced with a marker, and then used the grinder to cut it out. I don't know that the grinder was our best option, but I was afraid the saw would leave scratches, and possibly leave rougher cuts. The Grinder did a pretty good job, but left sharper edges.

IMG_2581.JPGIMG_2578.JPGIMG_2592.JPGIMG_2591.JPG

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
We've been able to get a bit done the last few nights.

IMG_2697.jpgIMG_2698.jpgIMG_2704.jpgIMG_2705.jpgIMG_2706.jpg

Since day 1 of this project, I knew we were going to need corner edging for the top and door holes, plus some 'T' edging for the doors. I have spent a lot of time trying to find the right stuff and have stuck out!
Does anybody know where to get some exterior corner trim? maybe I am not looking in the right places :(

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
They make some wood trim for the vertical edges of stairs to cover up the seams. I have bought some at wood floor places and even home depot

RogueJeepr

Here!
Try Bestway RV repair next to Airgas on 33rd S. and 5th W. I believe . OR. Duane's RV is closer to you (Near Central glass 80th S. & State St.) He's getting me some trim for my hatch .