Just Failed Safety With the New Truck..Pissed!!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Its all in the laws... :D

41-6a-1627. Mirrors.
(1) (a) A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a mirror mounted on the left side of the vehicle.
(b) A mirror under Subsection (1)(a) shall be located to reflect to the driver a view of the highway to the rear of the vehicle.
(2) (a) Except for a motorcycle, in addition to the mirror required under Subsection (1), a motor vehicle shall be equipped with a mirror mounted either inside the vehicle approximately in the center or outside the vehicle on the right side.
(b) The mirror under Subsection (2)(a) shall be located to reflect to the driver a view of the highway to the rear of the vehicle.

So you must have a drivers side mirror, and either a RV or pass side mirror.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Tint...

41-6a-1635. Windshields and windows -- Tinting -- Obstructions reducing visibility -- Wipers -- Prohibitions.
(1) Except as provided in Subsections (2) and (3), a person may not operate a motor vehicle with:
(a) a windshield that allows less than 70% light transmittance;
(b) a front side window that allows less than 43% light transmittance;
(c) any windshield or window that is composed of, covered by, or treated with any material or component that presents a metallic or mirrored appearance; or
(d) any sign, poster, or other nontransparent material on the windshield or side windows of the motor vehicle except:
(i) a certificate or other paper required to be so displayed by law; or
(ii) the vehicle's identification number displayed or etched in accordance with rules made by the department under Section 41-6a-1601.
(2) Nontransparent materials may be used:
(a) along the top edge of the windshield if the materials do not extend downward more than four inches from the top edge of the windshield or beyond the AS-1 line whichever is lowest;
(b) in the lower left-hand corner of the windshield provided they do not extend more than three inches to the right of the left edge or more than four inches above the bottom edge of the windshield; or
(c) on the rear windows including rear side windows located behind the vehicle operator.
(3) A windshield or other window is considered to comply with the requirements of Subsection (1) if the windshield or other window meets the federal statutes and regulations for motor vehicle window composition, covering, light transmittance, and treatment.
(4) Except for material used on the windshield in compliance with Subsections (2)(a) and (b), a motor vehicle with tinting or nontransparent material on any window shall be equipped with rear-view mirrors mounted on the left side and on the right side of the motor vehicle to reflect to the driver a view of the highway to the rear of the motor vehicle.
(5) (a) (i) The windshield on a motor vehicle shall be equipped with a device for cleaning rain, snow, or other moisture from the windshield.
(ii) The device shall be constructed to be operated by the operator of the motor vehicle.
(b) A windshield wiper on a motor vehicle shall be maintained in good working order.
(6) A person may not have for sale, sell, offer for sale, install, cover, or treat a windshield or window in violation of this section.
(7) Notwithstanding this section, any person subject to the federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, including motor vehicle manufacturers, distributors, dealers, importers, and repair businesses, shall comply with the federal standards on motor vehicle window tinting.

NoRig

Yeah, I would definitely stay away from Jiffy Lube for inspections. Sounds like they are all the same. When I was living in Utah Co. the Jiffy Lube was the closest place to work so that's where I went. They failed my truck because the side trim was missing and the mounting clips for the trim was still on the truck. His explanation was that somebody could walk by and cut their arm on the clip. :eek:

I just went elsewhere and it passed. Never did have anybody visit my house about it though, as stated earlier. Although that was about 11 years ago, before the whole system was on computers.

DevinB said:
A UVSC cop pulled me over for tires too wide and no mirrors too, but I can't remember if he said I needed both sides.
Campus cops crack me up! Rent-a-Cops! They're so big and bad.

RWH

Let's Roll For Justice
UVSC's cops are just Orem cops with the UVSC sticker on their car. They aint rent a cops.:hickey:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
ZUKEYPR said:
If you fail inspection at station "A", then you go to station "B" where they pass you, it then sends a red flag on the vin at the state, which then warrants a visit to not only both inspection stations but to your residence as well. I ran into a similiar situation two years ago and almost stepped on it until I was adviced of this. I as well, unbeknown to me at that time, had an old employee of mine working for the state that does just this and reconfirmed everything.

hmm. They failed me at shop "a" and then I went to shop 'b' and they passed me with "recomendations" for new tires which shop 'a' said were ok......mas consitancy por favor.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
RWH said:
UVSC's cops are just Orem cops with the UVSC sticker on their car. They aint rent a cops.:hickey:

True, but they do have a reputation for being idiots and still have the rent-a-cop mentality.

ZUKEYPR

Cody said:
hmm. They failed me at shop "a" and then I went to shop 'b' and they passed me with "recomendations" for new tires which shop 'a' said were ok......mas consitancy por favor.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say or elude to here, but everything I'm telling you can as well be verified through a....lets just say gigantically "Jeep' friendly inspection station (POC DW) as well on the East side. I'm sure that there are more cases than there are inspectors to investigate.

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
The last time I had to get my jeep inspected I took it to J.L. and the inspector measured from the floor board to the ground and was going to fail it. Until we got in this big argument about it and he couldn’t find his book with all the specifications in it.

I think it is usually just the tech that is the problem.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
OK figured out my plan of action:
1. Re-tint the front window at the legal % (sucks but I don't like worrying about it).
2. Swap tires/rims with a co-worker that has stock stuff.
3. Duck tape some mud flaps from my CJ. to the truck.
4. Bring it back to Jiffy Lube and have them lick my sweaty ass as I pass inspection.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Duct tape may not cut it. I had one inspector not like that my mud flaps were held on with zip ties, he said he wanted to see them bolted on.

sinac

Jay5.9L said:
OK figured out my plan of action:
1. Re-tint the front window at the legal % (sucks but I don't like worrying about it).
2. Swap tires/rims with a co-worker that has stock stuff.
3. Duck tape some mud flaps from my CJ. to the truck.
4. Bring it back to Jiffy Lube and have them lick my sweaty ass as I pass inspection.

Roll your windows down, pull a fuse. Duct tape them with black duct tape and on the inside so it is harder to see it. And get some election signs and put them on the inside of your wheelwell so they stick out and cover the top of your tires.

Nothing they can do but advise you unless they see the duct tape on the mudflaps.

And if I may ask, what jiffy lube was it? I work at the one in Riverton and we have one guy here that is anal about everything, the other inspectors are pretty cool though.

Taco4life

a little off topic but I am planning on taking my 4runner in for inspection next week and am really worried about it passing. Thanks for the heads up on Jiffy Lube. Has anyone had any good experience with Tunex? I was thinking of going there since I always see jeeps in their parking lot.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Jiffy lube on on Foothill and maybe 19th south SLC. The guy even said "Nice truck" when I rolled in and gave me a little hope. When he failed me he said "I'm new and this is what.....blah blah blah....."