larger or smaller cal. to conceal?

yjkrawlerboy

My 2 cents: I don't care how good your auto is, it's only as good as how often you actually carry it!

I agree. I have .9's and .45's that I will occasionally carry but as much as I want to them to be, they just aren't that comfortable. So for daily carry I have carried the Kel-Tec 3AT for years now. It's small and easy to carry no matter what I am wearing. It might only be a .380 but I always have it on me. If I ever need it i'm sure I will wish it was a .45 but it is better than nothing.

Just remember: A .22 in your pocket is better than a .45 on your dresser.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Has anyone used the new SCCY 9mm that looks like a Kel-Tec. Saw one at the gun show for $269 and it looked and handled nice. I have a .38 snub nose sat nite special for conceal and a 1911 .38 super with a 9mm drop in on the drawing board.

kyojin

I carry a Glock 19 IWB everyday. For me its about the perfect size. Not too big and not too small. I usually wear some cargo pants and a polo to work. It conceals just fine. For carry rounds I use +p+ hydrashoks. I've also carried the full size glock concealed IWB but it was a little too big and I was worried about printing.

I would carry whichever gun you felt most comfortable with. Some people like the simplicity of the revolvers while others like the higher capacity auto's. Like what was posted, it doesn't matter what you have if you can't hit what you are aiming at.

Let us know what you decide on.

rollover

I carry a Browning 380 auto small and easy to conceal or my Glock 40cal.

If your not sure what to carry, carry something about the same weight around for a day or two before you buy one. That way you'll know for yourself.

Just remember if you miss your still liable for where that bullet lands.

Grim

what ever you decide to carry or shoot , practice, practice, practice , and dont forget to practice ! its funny when i go shoot with someone and they say they have ammo to practice with , and all they show up with is a few boxes (150 rounds) !

LT.

I read once, I think it was Guns and Ammo magazine, that a 9mm will stop 1/3 of all assailants. Step up to the .40 and it will stop 7/10 assailants. The .45 was quoted as stopping 95/100. They did not specify a projectile as far as hollow points or anything like that. I may be wrong as it was some time ago that I read the article. However, we carry a .40 Glock with hollow points. They are mass produced by Winchester and are the .40 S&W variant. What ever anyone carries there are a few rules that you need to be aware of. 1. Treat every firearm as though it were loaded. 2. Never permit the muzzle to cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (If you follow these first two rules we should be able to eliminate most accidents) 3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target. 4. Know what your target is and what is BEHIND it. Following these simple rules in order will keep everyone safe.

LT.

sandsucker

Neil Peterson
THis is the gun I have on order
http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/pf9.htm
It's a little mo better than the p-11. I currently carry a Tarus 24/1 pro compact 9mm. I am very happy with it.
I believe that the right ammo is more important than the size, and I would rather have as many shots as possible if the day comes I need them.
statistics show that if you are in a situation that requirs you to fire more than 2 shots you will typically have to empty the mag.

offroaddave

It's just one term!
I think it's awesome a few people here carry.
I sure feel a lot safer knowing so many people are carrying legally. :cool:

I carry a G27 and my better carries the little Beretta.
As they say, carry safely, and carry always.;)

As for the original question, bigger is always better. IMO.

Attachments

• 3032_Inox_S.jpg
    3032_Inox_S.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 137
  • g27amelias.jpg
    g27amelias.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
R

rockdog

I carry a Glock 33. It is small enough to conceal, but has plenty of punch to get the job done. 357 is a good cal. My son and I were having a conversation about this thread last night. I know everybody's an expert. But here goes. A 357 has more muzzle velocity than most of the guns mentioned. It very defiantly will stop any perp.
I'm not saying it is superior to any of the pistols that others have talked about. That's a Ford verses Chev argument. But if your thinking of a carry gun. You might want to at least look at a 33. Get night sights too.;)

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
http://www.neiassociates.org/caliber.htm

A good article to read, I think.
The studies put "one shot stops" for 9mm at 91%, .45acp at 95%, 357mag and .40s&w at 96%.
Keep in mind his is not a concieled carry article, it is a police duty weapon article. (cops can run back to their patrol car to get thier shotgun, but you probably don't have a long gun to get to)
The author of this article, Evan Marshall, has a websight called stoppingpower.org there are some good thoughts posted there too.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
http://www.neiassociates.org/caliber.htm

A good article to read, I think.
The studies put "one shot stops" for 9mm at 91%, .45acp at 95%, 357mag and .40s&w at 96%.
Keep in mind his is not a concieled carry article, it is a police duty weapon article. (cops can run back to their patrol car to get thier shotgun, but you probably don't have a long gun to get to)
The author of this article, Evan Marshall, has a websight called stoppingpower.org there are some good thoughts posted there too.

There are plenty of "One shot stop" studies out there and none can be taken as gospel. WAY too many variables can go into a self defense situation. Here's another article showing the opposite side of the coin.
http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2...gun-statistics-and-why-theyre-a-load-of-crap/

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
There are plenty of "One shot stop" studies out there and none can be taken as gospel. WAY too many variables can go into a self defense situation. Here's another article showing the opposite side of the coin.
http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2...gun-statistics-and-why-theyre-a-load-of-crap/

I agree that that article is not to be taken as gospel, but there is some (I thought) good info in there.
The only time I ever pulled a gun on someone (as a 2 week rookie cop) it was cool outside, I hadn't realy left my patrol car so there was no time to think about getting a coat, I was scared and I was shaking. I had 8 shots and there were 3 "suspects". If I would have had to start shooting, I can only imagine that I would have missed at least SOME shots. If I am ever going to need a gun again (I'm just a dumb milkman now, not a cop anymore), it will be very very very bad luck. I will more than likely be pretty shaken. The question is; How many shots will I miss? If I have 15+ rounds and I still have a few left when the gunfight is over (providing I'm not dead), that will be Ideal. That is why I carry (for now) a 9mm with 19round capability.

That being said, I do like the Idea of the xd .45 compact with 10+1 or 12+1 magazines, and I would not stick my nose up at someone carying a revolver in .38 or .357 either.

Crankylove

Crankylove
I carry a 3" 1911 in .45 ACP. I like big bullets that make big holes.......I would have prefered a 10mm, the the pickin's are a bit slim on those. I also carry my .357 revolver on occasion, but don't have enough padding to conceal it as well except in the winter.