Leaving Utax

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
We're about to do what I never thought I'd do. But after this latest property tax increase, and more on the horizon, the time has come to leave.

We have an area picked out. I can buy double the house I have here, and still pay less tax.

So now, I raise this question. If you could move anywhere in the west, where would it be?

I'm looking at a much smaller city, Three seasons (snow is so overrated), with gas heat and city water/sewer. No HOA, and about a half an acre. I give no shits about the job market, but would like to be within 30 minutes of the city life. Where would you choose?

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
What is your property tax? $150/month? That's a bargain to live in Utah!
If taxes are your issue, be mindful that your property tax is just going to be swapped for income tax or sales tax in another state. Government still wants their money.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Not exactly true. I'll be paying 50% of the property tax I do now, sales tax is 2 1/2% lower as well as income tax. Not to mention housing costs 50% of here in the valley, and my snow blowing days will soon be in the past. And don't get me started on the traffic! Utah was a pretty great place, but not so much anymore.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
This. Just a few days in Portland, Seattle, LA, Dallas area, or any other large city makes me see that SLC traffic isn't terrible.

Oh jesus, you said Portland. Now I have PTSD again.

I have sworn to never again get off the freeway in Portland. I have family there and will probably have to break that vow eventually, but by gawd I'll be kicking and screaming when I do.

Bart

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhahahahahahaha. Well, I'm cheap, and I would rather put the extra funds into 3 linking the front.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
This. Just a few days in Portland, Seattle, LA, Dallas area, or any other large city makes me see that SLC traffic isn't terrible.
While I have no experience in Dallas, I can absolutely agree that the other locations make SLC traffic seem like nothing. Phoenix is my least favorite for traffic.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
There are few places that allow the type of recreational loves I have other that Utah, maybe Sun Valley Idaho or a couple places in Nevada or Montana.

Where do you think you'll move?

If you say Florida I'm going to start calling you JL Rockies... because this thread is similar to his a while back... only without the whining lol

Caleb

If I were to move from where I am at now, it would be to New Harmony. But I love where I live.

My grandparents lived in New Harmony for several years. They're now in Mona...it's getting too crowded for them in Mona now :rofl:

Anywhere in the west, I'd go northwest somewhere...or is Hawaii "in the west"? :rofl: Despite the ridiculous cost of living, the ridiculous restrictions, etc I'd still live in Hawaii in a heartbeat at least for a few years. If I get a job opportunity over there, I'm gone :D. I also desperately want to get rid of the snow, even if that means face melting heat. I refuse to live in California and no desire to be in Nevada or Arizona, so...

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
My grandparents lived in New Harmony for several years. They're now in Mona...it's getting too crowded for them in Mona now :rofl:

Anywhere in the west, I'd go northwest somewhere...or is Hawaii "in the west"? :rofl: Despite the ridiculous cost of living, the ridiculous restrictions, etc I'd still live in Hawaii in a heartbeat at least for a few years. If I get a job opportunity over there, I'm gone :D. I also desperately want to get rid of the snow, even if that means face melting heat. I refuse to live in California and no desire to be in Nevada or Arizona, so...

Definitely NOT Hawaii! My family is from there, moved to the mainland after Pearl Harbor and the major local depression afterwards. I went one time to see some relatives I rarely see. That was enough for me.

To the others, I won't even stop for gas in St George, and last time I checked Sun Valley tends to get a little snow, and when did Florida elope to the west?

We're looking at a few smallish towns in northern Arizona.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
If Mesquite TX, been there, done that. There are two seasons in that area, summer and not summer. Not summer (Dec-Feb) is cold as shit, trust me 35* with 65%RH is frickin' cold. Not not summer gives you a few weeks of nice weather at both ends, but the rest is Hot and Humid (especially compared to here). 80* at 6am, moisture condenses on may glasses and my hands when I leave the building. Oh, and like the Dallas area has no traffic issues. If not Mesquite TX, disregard my rant :).

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Boise ID would be my dream local. Close to the desert, close to the alpine mtns. Low taxes, normal sized houses, way less traffic, no idiot in every left lane and pretty nice people. Also they are about 2k ft lower in elevation so the winters are much more mild. I love ID.