Lets see the BRAINS of RME

yeah, general concensus achievied! Now we can all rest in peace. After various FBD's and consultations with astro-pysicists we've finally achieved what took off topic 200 pages in twelve.

Chilling out in process.

Caleb

My grandpa worked (and retired) from NASA, guess I'm a frickin genius then :greg:

ok really I just wanted to post in yesterdays cool person thread :D

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
We had this thing done on page one...how did this thing spill over onto page 5....You people that think it wouldn't fly have no analytical intelligence. Stop what you are doing, and go work at mcdonalds because this is high school physics.

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
I went home yesterday at page 5, came in this morning LMAO with Cody's antics and were now on page 12, let it run.....

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
cruiseroutfit said:
PS, I just ran this past a room full of ME students, Prof. Drake is drawing a free-body diagram as I type... He's convinced it flies! :D
Sam Drake? He's the man. :cool: Sc.D '78 MIT. :eek:

OCNORB

Supporting Member
spencurai said:
We had this thing done on page one...how did this thing spill over onto page 5....You people that think it wouldn't fly have no analytical intelligence. Stop what you are doing, and go work at mcdonalds because this is high school physics.

Either that or we're smarter than you- That conveyor belt would have to break the laws of physics, so I say that while theoretically it would fly- in the real world there is no way. -Prove me wrong smart guy!

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
cruiseroutfit said:
Yes sir, Dr. Drake is our Mini-Baja instructor and I have had a couple other classes from him. Awesome instructor. The guy is a brain, 4 degrees from MIT! :cool:
He's by far my favorite instructor at the U. I'm majoring in EE but I enjoy his classes so much I might continue to take ME courses and just double maj.

Fester

Brad said:
He's by far my favorite instructor at the U. I'm majoring in EE but I enjoy his classes so much I might continue to take ME courses and just double maj.

You are both wrong :D . Chin is the man -_- .......if he is still there. "Wapo Wato Pwesshho". Is Strojer (sp) still there too? I might be too old to play :(

Oh, and this thing can't die yet, I predicted 20 pages.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
OCNORB said:
Either that or we're smarter than you- That conveyor belt would have to break the laws of physics, so I say that while theoretically it would fly- in the real world there is no way. -Prove me wrong smart guy!

what laws of physics would have to break .how can you not grasp the concept of a free spinning wheel and what it does.

jump on a skateboard ontop of a tread mill.now if you don't hold on to the bars you will roll off the back thats a given,but really by this question the belt wouldn't move until you were so.you holding onto the bars on the side is the ammount of thrust it takes to over come the rolling resistence produce by the wheel touching the ground and the bearings in the wheel spinning.so now your arms are said jets(props,rockets no matter) that have the power to say 1/8 of full power to over come this drag.now your arms and hands are holding onto the bars.the bars = ambient air around the plane,your arms are the motors now if you increace forward thrust by pulling forward what happens to you on the skateboard no matter how fast the tread mill is going with you pulling on the bars which way do you travel

the bars are the air your arms are the jets the bars which is the air is not effected by what is happening underneath it hence the jets your arms will pull you forward.

get it i hope so ....

its a trick question that answers itself if you read it correctly.

"On a day with absolutely calm wind, a plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of band conveyor). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyor moves in the opposite direction. The conveyor has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction). Can the airplane ever take off?"

it states the plane can move as well as the plane can speed up .if the plane can't move forward how can the belt track its speed

oh and if you clicked on the link provided earlier you would have seen this was indeed proven.

pilots lounge said:
The "It won't fly, Rocky" group said that the conveyor would hold back the airplane. They asked us to imagine a person running on a treadmill. As he or she sped up, the treadmill would be programmed to speed up, just as the conveyor in the problem, and the person would remain over the same locus on the earth, while running as fast as possible.

The argument was that if the airplane started to move forward, the conveyor program was set up to move the conveyor at exactly that speed, in the opposite direction, thus, the airplane would never move relative to the ground, and, because the air was calm, it could never get any wind over its wings. One of the analogies presented was the person rowing at three mph upstream in a river on a calm day. However, the current was flowing downstream at three mph, so the resultant speed with reference to the stream bank and air was zero, and thus there was no wind on the rowboat.

I watched and listened to the disagreement for a while and was fascinated to see that the argument seemed to split between those who had some engineering or math background, all of whom said the airplane would takeoff and fly without any problem; and those with some other background, who visualized the airplane as having to push against the conveyor in order to gain speed. Because the conveyor equaled the airplane's push against the conveyor, the airplane stayed in one place over the ground and in the calm air could not get any airspeed and fly.

It was an interesting argument, but as things progressed, more rational heads prevailed, pointing out that the airplanes do not apply their thrust via their wheels, so the conveyor belt is irrelevant to whether the airplane will takeoff. One guy even got one of those rubber band powered wood and plastic airplane that sell for about a buck, put it on the treadmill someone foolishly donated to the Lounge years ago, thinking that pilots might actually exercise. He wound up the rubber band, set the treadmill to be level, and at its highest speed. Then he simultaneously set the airplane on the treadmill and let the prop start to turn. It took off without moving the slightest bit backwards.

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
uhm I've actually jumped onto a treadmill on a skateboard and the only reason I rolled off the back was because that was downhill. It's kind of like those artificial waves.
heheheh

what kind of coconut was that again??
/potstir

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Brad said:

What classes are you taking from him? I am in his Advanced Manufacturing and Design class right now, plus working on the Baja car 3 days a week in his lab.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Fester said:
You are both wrong :D . Chin is the man -_- .......if he is still there. "Wapo Wato Pwesshho". Is Strojer (sp) still there too? I might be too old to play :( .

Kuan Chen the Thermo II & Heat Transfer teacher?

There is a James Stroizer? Not sure if that is the same, I have never had a class with him.

Fester

cruiseroutfit said:
Kuan Chen the Thermo II & Heat Transfer teacher?

There is a James Stroizer? Not sure if that is the same, I have never had a class with him.

Yep, oops, Chen not Chin.
And the Stroizer I knew used to be the head or whatever of the ME dept.
All this was ~4-6 years ago though.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Tacoma said:
uhm I've actually jumped onto a treadmill on a skateboard and the only reason I rolled off the back was because that was downhill. It's kind of like those artificial waves.
heheheh

what kind of coconut was that again??
/potstir

African Plane, tropical coconut.