let's talk canvas tents

sixstringsteve

I'm not very familiar with canvas tents. I've always used backpacking tents in the past. The scouts used a huge 8 man springbar aand that's about the extent of my experience. DAA seems to make a springbar work everywhere he goes. There's np doubt they're built like tanks and will last forever with proper care.

Is there anything like the Springbar that doesn't require stakes?

Caleb

As it seems you already know, the big downside to the springbar is the requirement of the stakes. I do love my springbar though. I've seen several other options to springbar, but I've never been as impressed with them like I am the springbar.

sixstringsteve

How does the Kodiak brand compare to the springbar? The kodiak's seem really well built from what I've seen in person. They still need stakes, but I've always wondered how they compare.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Easy to compare when you copy the original :D

I'd stick with a Sprinbar for several reasons, one major one being they are made here in Utah and you can pick up spares on a lunch break :cool:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Watching this thread... I've thought about picking one up but haven't done it yet, from what I've read, the biggest difference I've heard between the Kodiak and the Springbar are where they are made, there might be some slight thickness of material differences but the designs are similar. I believe the Kodiak is cheaper. I've heard they hold up great in the wind, scouts in the neighborhood went up to Wyoming a while back and they said the Springbars/Kodiak tents were the only ones that held up to the wind. The nylon dome tents were breaking poles or collapsing. I wonder how much of that is tied to design where the dome are self standing I wonder if they anchored them down as well as the canvas tents.

edit: looks like they are pretty comparable for price. The 2 I've had my eye on
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camp...BC%3BMMcat104795280;cat104779080;cat104481180
$499 - 10'x10' tent
VS

http://www.kirkhams.com/vagabond-tents/vagabond-4-springbar-tent/
$439 - 8'x10' tent

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Also keep in mind that most kids on Trek don't spend more than $50-100 on their dome tents. I've had my nylon dome tent in some extremely high winds and it is rock solid. Plus it cost less than $300. When we went to Trek in Wyoming two years ago, we removed the stakes from the springbars and collapsed them during the day so they didn't blow away. Maybe that wasn't necessary, but it made us feel better.

I'd love an option that lets me put a cot inside and lets me stand up to change. I'm not a huge fan of large tents. I think a 3-4 man would be plenty big. I have a hard time staying warm in big tents.

sixstringsteve

It sounds like I need to go to the outdoor retailer show.

I'm digging these swag bags. From the looks of it, stakes might be optional?
dome-swag-double.jpg

Westernhunter

I own both Springbar and Kodiak and they are both comparable. The Kodiak was cheaper and seemed to have more features. The one I use the most is the smallest Springbar. I do hate the weight of them. Hard to put on the roof rack.

Springbars are really high quality, but I don't like the weight and the need for stakes is sometimes a deal-killer for me. There are other quality tents out there if you are willing to spend some. I love my Cabelas Alaskan Guide. I've been using it several times a year for over 10 years.

sixstringsteve

I don't know why I keep gravitating Towards the cabelas tent cot. They're $50 off right now too...

It's too bad you can't fold them up with a sleeping pad inside.

Caleb

FWIW, I used to go down to Lake Powell with a large group of friends. Most of the group had Springbar, but some had nylon type tents and some used the nylon tents for their kids and they'd sleep in the spring bar tents. Well, there would be some freak wind storms that would come through and would shred any tent left up besides the springbars. This included a couple nice North Face tents, a couple MSR tents, etc. It only took a storm or two for everyone to learn not to leave their tents up when one of these storms start to come through. I don't know what it is with the Springbars, but you could leave them up and not have a single problem with them. When these storms would come through you would run to the houseboats or to a springbar for shelter.

I've also been in torrential down pours in Springbars. The most you would ever feel is a slight mist in the tent, not even enough to get anything wet, and it may have just been the cold air but you could kind of feel it on your cheeks. I'm a firm believer in the springbars if space and weight aren't major concerns and you're able to use stakes. If you get one, first thing to do is either get extra stakes or buy some high quality metal stakes. They come with either the crappy yellow plastic stakes or the metal with a plastic tab on the top (can't remember, I do know that's the first thing you should get though due to the necessity of the stakes with them).

sixstringsteve

I may pick up a springbar one day. The need for stakes is a real bummer though. I guess that's why they withstand brutal storms.

D

Deleted member 12904

I have a Kodiak and it's an extremely high quality tent like everyone else says it's heavy and you have to use stakes. This January I ran into a situation where we literally spent 45 minutes looking for a place that the ground would take a stake. Because of this I picked up some 8 inch long lag bolts tack welded a large fender washer on them and from now on I'm going to use those and a 18 volt cordless impact.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
We have six Springbars, the two oldest are 33-35 years old and still work great. We like to go fishing up to the Gorge and the wind up there will take out any tent that isn't up to it. When the entire family is up there it looks like a Kirkhams exhibit since we have learned what holds up best. We did have a wind a few years back at the gorge that took out some of the springbars (but only this one time). It was a microburst that picked up a wall of water in Linwood bay and when it hit two of the springbars had the pockets that hold the spring bars rip off. Ours that ripped was one of the sunshade units without a floor and the wind got under it. Kirkhams fixed it with no questions asked.

Last edited:

SpeedyVic

I've also been in torrential down pours in Springbars. The most you would ever feel is a slight mist in the tent, not even enough to get anything wet, and it may have just been the cold air but you could kind of feel it on your cheeks. I'm a firm believer in the springbars if space and weight aren't major concerns and you're able to use stakes. If you get one, first thing to do is either get extra stakes or buy some high quality metal stakes. They come with either the crappy yellow plastic stakes or the metal with a plastic tab on the top (can't remember, I do know that's the first thing you should get though due to the necessity of the stakes with them).

I have a Springbar (four-person) that I bought right after I got married. It's over 20 years old now, but it still is the best tent I have ever been in. I was camping near Dutch John on a fishing trip when, one night, it began to rain the hardest rain I have ever been camping in. The campground was quickly flooded with water. We huddled inside the tent as around us, water began to flow. The tent floor was like a water bed as the water ran under it! You could feel the water under it, but none got inside. After the rain storm, it quickly got cold. We woke up the next morning dry, but frosty.

My marriage didn't last, but the tent did! It was one of the things I made sure I got during the divorce! :)