let's talk canvas tents

KWight

I grew up in my Grandpas springbars and he gave one to me before he died. It's a two man and its pretty small but I love it due to the sentimental value.

I like the springbars but with scouts we converted to Cabelas alaskan guide tents and I preferred them in all situtions except week long camps. They are fantastic in snow and wind when you have the rain cover that reaches the ground on. They take a while to set up and weigh about half of a spring bar. They are much less bulky. I keep threatening to buy an 8 person for my family.

Good for you for keeping that one in use for sentimental reasons! I purchased a Cabelas 8 man XWT 4 years ago and swear that I will have that tent longer than any of the others I own. It was well worth what I paid for it and am glad I bought it when I did as the prices have continued to climb since that time.

My canvas "tents" consist of a 12' Teepee and a 16x20 Outfitters tent. They both are enjoyable to use and serve their intended purpose equally well.

Kevin

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I have no problem considering the Kodiak except they don't seem to offer a tent as small as the Outfitter 3 from Springbar. What is a requirement is a smallish tent that allows me to stand up. If anyone knows of another tent that fits meets this requirement, please let me know.

sixstringsteve

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have had 2 different turbo tents. The one I currently have is a 4 man tent. You are welcome to come check it out.

The turbo tent sort of works with stakes. Not very good but it will stand up.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Just bought a canvas tent. It is a Kodiak 4 man. I hope it as good as the 30 year old spring bar I slept in a couple weeks back.

IMG_1509_zps4f93cc03.jpg

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Just bought a canvas tent. It is a Kodiak 4 man. I hope it as good as the 30 year old spring bar I slept in a couple weeks back.

IMG_1509_zps4f93cc03.jpg

Out of curiosity, if you were so impressed with the Springbar and they are local, why did you buy the knockoff from so far away?

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
The company is local but are the tents made locally? For some reason I was under the impression they come from overseas?

Yup they are made in china.. really good quality though I have enjoyed mine in all sorts of weather.. and really we need to buy from china so that our government has someone to borrow money from..

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I've had a Kodiak tent for a few years now, I liked my old spring bar but this was given to me so beggars can't be choosers. I like the setup if the doors better than the spring bar, but my poles suck, I sliced my hand open on the first outing. However from what I understand the later generations have poles just like spring bar