Let's talk Chicken.. The pets, not the food..

shortstraw8

Yeah dump the rooster, fertilized eggs are nasty (imo) but they do increase egg productivity. Jersey giant for a flock protector

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
17 days of 1 egg per day, all from the same chicken. That brings each egg down to about $150 each. Little eggs though.
On some days I don't eat the egg, and then eat 2 the next day. That really makes me feel like a baller...

Rooster went bye bye today to a little farm in Provo (hopefully FBI free). One daughter has been crying ever since.

But I'm glad. I think he was the main culprit in the destruction around here.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Well, this thread cursed me. I was doing good, we inherited some chickens and a cheap shanty of a coop and my costs has been super low until today... Amy had been pestering me to build one so when this thing came up for what it nearly would cost me to make one I had to jump on it. Some teenagers out of Idaho Falls are making these and they are well built!

99D2A36C-FAC4-4155-80A9-A0147BB3FA96_1_105_c.jpeg

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
We are averaging 5 eggs a day currently. Kids say its all from 4 chickens, the other 5 chickens and 3 ducks give nothing. Seems very political to me.

One thing for sure, fresh eggs are significantly thicker in the shell than store eggs. The inner membrane on some require a knife to get through.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Well, this thread cursed me. I was doing good, we inherited some chickens and a cheap shanty of a coop and my costs has been super low until today... Amy had been pestering me to build one so when this thing came up for what it nearly would cost me to make one I had to jump on it. Some teenagers out of Idaho Falls are making these and they are well built!

View attachment 164031
That's a nice looking coup. The return on investment for chicken coups has been good at my house. Not in eggs but in seggs.