Let's talk Chicken.. The pets, not the food..

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Today, while grabbing a dew from the fridge, I some how knocked the self off the door. The shelf fell. Took out the shelf below it. Knocked 4 dews, 2 cans of jelly, and about 3 dozen eggs to the floor.

Every. Single. Egg. Busted.

It was a long clean up.

Now that the shelfs are back in place, I can smack and wiggle and pull on them, and they don't move. I don't get it.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I re-oiled some trailers today. I didn’t really want them in the back yard with the chickens, but I didn’t want to pooper scoop so I could pull them out either. Surely chickens aren’t dumb enough to climb all over fresh stinky sticky oil, right??

Chicken feathers. Chicken poop. Chicken prints. All over my fresh trailers. Probably well blended into the oil at this point.

The dumbest thing of all, they sat and pecked at the oil trying to eat/drink it while it cured on the wood.

Chickens are dumb. Don’t get them.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Some sanity back to my yard. I can’t stand the poop on my patio, so I was going to try to fence it a little to keep the chiduckens off the patio and hot tub. But then I realized I’d have to go in and out of the fencing every time I walked out the back door. So the free-range chickens got a smaller range to be free on. This should prevent most the poop in my yard, trailers, hot tub, and bbq. Along with keeping them from pecking everything in the world. They have ruined sooo much stuff!

IMG_5544.jpeg

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Sorry to rain on your parade, but I have similar height fencing and all it does it prevent the feathered idiots from getting back into their coop at night once they've crapped upon my stuff during the day.
Hence the MTB roosting...

• Haha
Reactions: DAA

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Sorry to rain on your parade, but I have similar height fencing and all it does it prevent the feathered idiots from getting back into their coop at night once they've crapped upon my stuff during the day.
Hence the MTB roosting...
Yep. It kept 9 in all day. 3 kept jumping over and out. The golden sex links, which looks the same as your MTB chicken, are the adventurous ones that get out. They figured out the dog door to the house. They jump into the sxs and on the tractor when I'm driving. They fly out of the yard gates into the driveway. The get into the shop if the door is cracked open at all. The other breeds don't care.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
4. That’s the number of rats in this one photo. I can identify at least 5 from watching video.
I have bated with poison, but they don’t eat it. I have set traps, but they don’t trip them. I set out sticky traps, but they won’t walk in them. These are the smartest rats in the world.

D03F27A368A1_1710650436.jpeg

I am going to try to make one of the bucket traps to see if that will work.

Any other ways you guys know to catch/kill rats??

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
4. That’s the number of rats in this one photo. I can identify at least 5 from watching video.
I have bated with poison, but they don’t eat it. I have set traps, but they don’t trip them. I set out sticky traps, but they won’t walk in them. These are the smartest rats in the world.

View attachment 170735

I am going to try to make one of the bucket traps to see if that will work.

Any other ways you guys know to catch/kill rats??
We have a crazy amount of voles and like your rats, they didn't take any bait or even go in the bucket traps. The only thing that works for us is to put a snap trap right at the opening of their tunnels... so I guess I have no real advice other than hang the feeder high at night.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
My grandpa used to have rats in his chicken coop, he used larger traps like muskrat traps and a grandson that liked to club rats to keep the population under control. They like to stick close to the walls and hide behind boards leaned up against the wall.