Let's talk Escalante...

sixstringsteve

i like avoiding crowds, and I like having the campsite to myself. Are there any spots to camp on the HITR road? What about the dirt roads on 50 mile mountain?

And many thanks for all the suggestions.

D

Deleted member 12904

i like avoiding crowds, and I like having the campsite to myself. Are there any spots to camp on the HITR road? What about the dirt roads on 50 mile mountain?

And many thanks for all the suggestions.

I have a GPS waypoint of an insanely awesome camp spot off hole in the rock road. I will dig it out for you. It's a really large natural Rock wall enclosure that has just a tiny man made gate I'm sure at one point it was used for sheep herding.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
We like to camp in a spot off of the Tantalus Flats road. Its where a spur road, which is part of the Rosebud ATV trail, crosses Pleasant Creek. You can fish the creek or hike down the narrow canyon towards Capital Reef.

Attachments

• Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 33
  • Picture 028.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Picture 029.jpg
    Picture 029.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 34

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
We like to camp in a spot off of the Tantalus Flats road. Its where a spur road, which is part of the Rosebud ATV trail, crosses Pleasant Creek. You can fish the creek or hike down the narrow canyon towards Capital Reef.

Oh, I wanna get my line wet there, for sure. What kinda luck do you have pulling fish out of there?

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Oh, I wanna get my line wet there, for sure. What kinda luck do you have pulling fish out of there?

You can catch plenty of them but they tend to be small. You make up for the size with the scenery. For bigger fish Lower Bowns is good this time of year and the higher Boulder lakes are great for big fish later in the summer.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I have a GPS waypoint of an insanely awesome camp spot off hole in the rock road. I will dig it out for you. It's a really large natural Rock wall enclosure that has just a tiny man made gate I'm sure at one point it was used for sheep herding.

This may be the same spot we camped at about 10 years ago. It was like a natural alcove in the rock, maybe 3/4 of the way to HITR. Beautiful campsite, one of my favorites behind Devil's Kitchen #3 and #4 on the Elephant Hill Trail.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm considering heading out that way as well... possibly a night in the Henry Mountains, then head somewhere around Escalate. I was going to head up into the Colorado mountains, but the place I was thinking of still has a good deal of snow.

D

Deleted member 12904

Little slide show video from that trip
[video=youtube_share;ln3zZMJhULg]http://youtu.be/ln3zZMJhULg[/video]

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
Steve, there are several great free camp sites just up the devils backbone road on the boulder side, and they are only maybe 3 miles from the calf creek campground. McGath lake is awesome and a nice little trail getting there, its just up the mtn from the other sites.

D

Deleted member 12904

Jacob, where is that slot canyon in your video @ 1:07?

and where is the spot @ 1:57?

1:07 is knarville spelling? I have the gps mark for that. That is top 3 best hikes ever. Your in water a bunch but it is beyond neat.

The other one i dont remember the name but its off hole in the rock road and is super tourist crowded. It was fun but lots of people.