little fishin', little huntin'

Houndoc

The last week of October joined some friends for some fishing at Flaming Gorge. Little slower than last year, but nothing to sneeze at, either.

I was thrilled when my 15 year old asked if she could come (fishing has fallen low on her list the last couple years) and was glad she caught the largest fish, about a 26 pounder.

Took a little work it get it on board, but was worth it!

fightison.jpg

Sierrabigfish.jpg

My son landed a nice fish as well, estimated at about 24 pounds.

Wesleysfight.jpg

Wesleybigone.jpg

My brother landed his first large Laker, having just moved to Wyoming from Az and thus able to come along.
Buddsbigone.jpg

My biggest catch snuck in size-wise between the kids.

myfish.jpg

We also caught a fair number of burbot, and some tasty-keeper size lake trout as well.

morningkeepers.jpg

Then, last Saturday my son was able to take part in a special youth-only pheasant hunt at the Carr Fork WMA. It was put on by the DWR, with the help of a lot of great volunteers (special thanks to those fine folks and their dogs.) Was his first real hunt (he carries his shotgun while we deer hunt, but that was uneventful.)

Some good shooting on his part made for a great outing!

wespheasants2.jpg

mesha

By endurance we conquer
that is not like what happens when I fish at the gorge. I didn't think there were fish in that place

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Looks like you had fun ! I enjoy pulling the big macs up too and have fished the same area when we were up last time. We usually get the burbots in the winter up there but I need to figure out how to get them when the water is softer. I also got lucky on the pheasant hunt opener. The dog and I were able to flush four of them, two hens and two roosters. The first rooster got flushed when I let the dog get too far in front of me (after he flushed the first two hens). I was able to drop the second one. It was a very colorfull mature wild rooster. I would post a picture but it would give away my location.

Houndoc

that is not like what happens when I fish at the gorge. I didn't think there were fish in that place

Thats what I experienced for years. It is amazing the difference that knowing what you are doing (or at least fishing with someone who does) makes.

Houndoc

Very nice! Love to see all the smiles :).

- DAA

Absolutely! I grin everytime I look at the pic of my daughter with her fish.

I've never ice fished for burbot, hope to give it ago this winter. We catch them just while going after the macs.