longer wheelbase how?

stifjeep

I have a 93 yj and i want to lengthen the wheelbase to about 100 to 103 inches. What is the best way to go about this. It is at 96 inches currently, any help is appreciated.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
cut the back corners out, pucsh the rear axle back 4 to 7 inches and link it.

you can also put waggy springs on, I believe the have offset center pins and gain about 4 inches that way.

are you going to do this yourself or pay a shop?

James K

NO, I'm always like this
stifjeep said:
I was thinking of doing it myself I just wanted to know what kind of options were available.

cool, it just depends on how much you want to spend and how much time you want to put into it.

do you have any idea you have already seen that you are interested in?

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
How are you guys moving the rear axle so far back and not hitting the tank? MY CJ-7 is SOA and has at most 2 inches from the diff to the tank if the diff was a ll tucked up.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Jay5.9L said:
How are you guys moving the rear axle so far back and not hitting the tank? MY CJ-7 is SOA and has at most 2 inches from the diff to the tank if the diff was a ll tucked up.

I pulled the tank up through the floor about 4-5 inches.....

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Jay5.9L said:
How hard was that? any pics?

It's not done {but very close--I need to build a skid for the tank and button it up}, but it's not been awfully difficult (it'd help if I had any fab skills at all). There's a couple of decent write-ups on PBB (a TOTW about gas tanks, and H8Monday's YJ build). I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to fit the back seat in the stock location, but it will go back in......for the children :D

I hope to finish it up and start the motor tomorrow night or (Friday).

Cory

mbryson said:
DOH!

(I'm using Wag springs in the front and XJ's in the rear for a 100" wheelbase)

Are you going spring-over? or do you get a lot of lift with the Waggy and XJ springs?

mbryson said:
DOH!

(I'm using Wag springs in the front and XJ's in the rear for a 100" wheelbase)

I copied Mark and did the same thing. It put me at 101.9 inches. It flexes great! 36" under the front right tire. I don't have the pics of it flexed yet. I yanked the tank and put a fuel cell in the back. The left side parking brake cable has to be replaced with something longer.

Oh yeah, I had to make a new rear bumper and incorperate the rear shackle mounts to it.

P1010053a.JPG

Last edited:

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Im running a 104 inch wheelbase on my YJ. Im running waggy lift springs (rancho 44044's)front and rear. they come with 1.5"offset pins. then in the front I moved the front hangers forward with m.o.r.e. reverse shackle stuff front hanger are off front bumper. Rear moved hangers back 3.5" and built shackle mounts of rear bumper position. Tons of flex, needs rear antiwrap bar.

44044's are what allpro based there toy/swap springs from. you can take a leaf out for more flex, but its recommended that if you are running a v8 or have lots of torque from heavy axles and big meats to leave all leaves in place.'

44044's cost about $130 each from summit racing. $10 ship and handle.
bullet proof shackles and rear hangers I bought from some canadian on ebay for $65.

If you dont want all the additional fab you can still run waggies in wrangler hanger positions with the use of 2"lift shackles, but it limits some of your flex.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
rockreligious said:
Im running a 104 inch wheelbase on my YJ. Im running waggy lift springs (rancho 44044's)front and rear. they come with 1.5"offset pins. then in the front I moved the front hangers forward with m.o.r.e. reverse shackle stuff front hanger are off front bumper. Rear moved hangers back 3.5" and built shackle mounts of rear bumper position. Tons of flex, needs rear antiwrap bar.

44044's are what allpro based there toy/swap springs from. you can take a leaf out for more flex, but its recommended that if you are running a v8 or have lots of torque from heavy axles and big meats to leave all leaves in place.'

44044's cost about $130 each from summit racing. $10 ship and handle.
bullet proof shackles and rear hangers I bought from some canadian on ebay for $65.

If you dont want all the additional fab you can still run waggies in wrangler hanger positions with the use of 2"lift shackles, but it limits some of your flex.

hey got pics of you CJ? You have some mods that I have been thinking about for mine. Was it worth all the work for the extra 10 inches and is it THAT much more stabile?

thanks,
Jason

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Jay5.9L said:
hey got pics of you CJ? You have some mods that I have been thinking about for mine. Was it worth all the work for the extra 10 inches and is it THAT much more stabile?

thanks,
Jason

I dont have any pix right now, but Ill try and get some posted up. It really wasnt that much work if you got a welder and some other fabbing tools. I did fail to mention that your fuel tank has to come out, cause the rear diff will hit, right now Im running a fuel cell in the tub, but Im gonna have one built that sits more forward between the framerail and 5" up into the tub. that will probably be the hardest part about the stretch. You ask if it was worth it, I would say that I wouldnt have it any other way, other than maybe linking the rear, but not sure it would be nessasary. yes it is more stable especially on the steep climbs, Im also running full width axles which make it more stable side to side also. I have had cj's, a yj, tj, ZJ, and a 113 wb buggy(too long), and the ZJ had the best wheelbase for rockcrawling in my opinion, that is why I aimed for a 104" wheelbase with my new one. If you run rock trails with some steep obs, I would recommend it.

kyojin

I stretched my TJ's wheelbase 106". I moved the stock gas tank to where the rear seats were. Lenthened my control arms and added Fox Airshox. I'm very happy with this setup.

When I did mine I didn't want to have to mess with the frame to keep my coil springs. I also didn't want to go with leaf springs. Thats why I opted for the Airshox. So far I have been very pleased with them both onroad and off.