Looking for the best Hi lift jack?

toyrunner

The wife is secretly going to buy me a high lift jack for xmas. I need to drop her a few hints as to which brand or I may end up with one from harbor freight. I have a few in mind but, does anyone have any suggestions. (Price is not as important as the thing working like it should).

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I think the best ones are the genuine Hi-Lift brand. That's all I've ever owned so I have no direct personal experience with others, but I've seen some cheezy ones bend or drop unexpectedly, so they scare me.

Actually, all Hi Lift-type jacks scare mel, but only because they all wish to maim you. -_-

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
That statement is so true. Go with the Hi Lift brand. There new "x-treme" jack is pretty cool. http://www.hi-lift.com/products/xtreme.htm

I have been using the harbor freight one for a couple years and have had no problems with it BUT... with my recent lift and 40" tires it is not tall enough anymore. My wife secretly just bought me the hi lift x-treme from 4wheel parts for Christmas. I saw it in her trunk he he he....It looks sweet and is about 100 bones.

If price is not an issue......get the extreme!!!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Recently on our clubs forum we had a long discussion on the merits and needs for a taller Hi-Lift... I'm a fan of the 48", I personally don't see a need for a taller one... but thats just me. By using a ratchet strap you only need to jack the vehicle up a couple inches to get a tire off versus a couple feet when your unloading your suspension...

Anyways, I invented this (patent pending) to remedy the argument... :D

"For those who have "sick" articulation and "tall" trucks.....

THE ALL NEW CRUISER OUTFITTERS HI-LIFT EXTENSION!!!

Buy one, buy 5, you never know how high you need to go"

Attachments

• hi-lift_ext.jpg
    hi-lift_ext.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 11

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
Recently on our clubs forum we had a long discussion on the merits and needs for a taller Hi-Lift... I'm a fan of the 48", I personally don't see a need for a taller one... but thats just me. By using a ratchet strap you only need to jack the vehicle up a couple inches to get a tire off versus a couple feet when your unloading your suspension...

Old suspension unloader gumbie here, please explain the ratchet strap method?

Also, typically I'm using the handy-man to help get un-stuck ... is this ratchet strap method also good to get the wheel say, 2' off the ground?

p.s.s
another dumb guy question, what is the deal with the lifter arm on the top of the jack for?

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Old suspension unloader gumbie here, please explain the ratchet strap method?

Also, typically I'm using the handy-man to help get un-stuck ... is this ratchet strap method also good to get the wheel say, 2' off the ground?

p.s.s
another dumb guy question, what is the deal with the lifter arm on the top of the jack for?

Ratchet strap (or chain) the axle to the frame so the suspension can't unload.

The "lifter arm" you're referring to is probably the opposing jaw for using the jack as a big clamp. (or winch, as the case may be)

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
The extreme looks cool but is it really any different than the normal Hi Lift with a snazzy paint job and a different clamp thing on top? If price is an issue I'd get the 60" all cast (all red) Hi lift. They say cast is stronger than the cast/steel version (even though they have the same lift rating). Then you have the 60"s of whuch you can cut some off if its too long. Merry Christmass!

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
The extreme looks cool but is it really any different than the normal Hi Lift with a snazzy paint job and a different clamp thing on top? If price is an issue I'd get the 60" all cast (all red) Hi lift. They say cast is stronger than the cast/steel version (even though they have the same lift rating). Then you have the 60"s of whuch you can cut some off if its too long. Merry Christmass!

The extreme is all cast and basically is a fancy paintjob. The handle and all the parts are zinc coated so you dont have to worry about them rusting on you. I dont know if its worth another 25 bucks but if you plan on mounting it on a roof rack or bumper where its going to get wet, I think it would be. Even HI Lift brand jacks work like crap when they are rusted

Bart

Yep, sounds like she's a keeper. You are lucky. Of course the real test is which winch she buys you.