LT's Wild RamCharger

LT is new to the board, He just joined up. He is from my hometown of Los Alamos NM and we both wheel up here in Utah alot. He is a wild guy. He has been into wheeling along time. He has owned several built to the hilt CHevys, and a few Dodges. Right now he has a 87 Dodge Ramcharger which he calls his beater. The motor is a 360 bored over 0.3. He got real happy with the Sawsall and cut tons of the body off, including the roof, and front and fenders. He has a roll cage that is under fab right now. He now has a dana 60 going in for the front and a Corp 14 for the rear. He has Hydr. steering and a bunch of other stuff. He has new tires, 42 Irocs and beadlock rims.

I let him tell you about it. Here are his pictures:

Attachments

• post-458-1192815070_thumb.jpg
    post-458-1192815070_thumb.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 185
  • post-2784-1200531333_thumb.jpg
    post-2784-1200531333_thumb.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 57
  • post-2784-1200531413_thumb.jpg
    post-2784-1200531413_thumb.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 55
  • post-2784-1200531439_thumb.jpg
    post-2784-1200531439_thumb.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 54
  • post-2784-1200531476_thumb.jpg
    post-2784-1200531476_thumb.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

LT.

Yeah I know. I just wish that I could get the bolts here by tomorrow instead of Friday. Then I could get it back together and have a little fun with it at work again. :rofl: This would also explain why my buddy thought that I had stripped out five of the bolts already. 7/16 course thread bolt do not fill 1/2 bolt holes.

LT.

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
I started working on the rear axle again today. I wanted to know why I was loosing so much gear oil out of the rear axle seals. Turns out that the machine shop sent me 7/16 bolts with a 14 pitch. The holes are 1/2 inch with a 13 pitch. Arrrrrrrgh. Well it is now safe to say that I know what the problem is. I went around town trying to find a socket head 1/2 inch bolt that was an 1 1/2" long and no dice. I had to order them and they won't be here until Friday. I have to go back to work on Friday night so I don't think that I will be getting the rear end back together until at least Monday.

LT.
Isn't it amazing what the wrong size bolt will do?? It will either cause catastrophic failure or simply make something leak. Or it can make things rattle lose and fall off a cliff, or maybe even make a u-bolt strap back out!!!
(Sorry that is the percocet talking!!!!!):chris:
Like I said on the thread that got deleted... keep in mind that I have a lot of time coming up on my hands and I will be more than happy to lend you my skills for fabricating a way trick four-link rear suspension for the beater!!! It will be twisting more than my truck does before you know it!!!! Did you even get my message about my suggestion of material for the control arms?? Here is my suggestion for the control arms:
Item: Material:
Upper Control Arms - 2" x .25" wall DOM Tubing (1.5" ID)
Lower Control Arms opt#1 - 2.25" x .375" wall DOM tubing (1.5" ID)
Lower Control Arms opt#2 - 2" x .25" wall DOM tubing sleeved
W/ 2.25" x .120" wall DOM
Lower Control Arms opt#3 - MAKK Daddy Control arms:
2.5" x .5" wall DOM tubing ( 1.5" ID)

Figuring on using a 1.25" heim joint with a 1.0" bolt size and misalignment spacers for the lowers, and a 3/4" version of a flex joint on the upper control arms. Plenty strong and plenty of flex!!!!! The true MAKK Daddy Suspension!!!
Just my $.02 Brother Rob!
Matt

LT.

I'm gonna keep this in mind. I just want to know how will your back be if you do this for me? I am kinda leaning towards the Jimmy Joints that you suggested. First things first, I am gonna need a new tranny. After that then we'll talk more.

LT.

LT.

Okay, well, I picked up the bolts today for the rear axles and they were too long!!! I measured the 7/16th bolts that were the wrong dia and double checked everything. For some reason the 7/16th bolts were 1 1/2 inches long. So I figured that I needed 1 1/2 inch long 1/2 inch bolts and would be all set. WRONG!! I even chased all the bolt holes again with a tap just to make sure. So, I just ordered 1 1/4 inch long 1/2 inch bolts and they should be here on Monday. I also was able to find a guy in Albuquerque who knows about rockcrawling and the demands that it places on automatic transmissions. He will be doing the work. He worked at a tranny rebuild place for 20 years and was able to get the money scraped together so that he could open his own shop. To do just a stock rebuild on my TF 727 he said that it would be $500.00. If I wanted it upgraded to heavier duty clutches and other heavy duty parts then it would be $750.00. This includes him removing the tranny and installing it again. Looks like this will be what I will be doing soon.

LT.

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
SWEET!!!! Sounds like a pretty good deal for the tranny!!! Does he also do rebuilds no the stock auto (46RE came behind the 5.9L in '97) in my rockcrawler?? I could use a rebuild with some beefing up as well when money permits!! Or would it be best to switch to a built 727 like yours??? What do you think??
Also what kind of time frame are we looking at for starting that link suspension of yours then??? And will I be doing the cage at the same time?? Should be sweet!!!:greg:
Later,
Brother Matt

LT.

SWEET!!!! Sounds like a pretty good deal for the tranny!!! Does he also do rebuilds no the stock auto (46RE came behind the 5.9L in '97) in my rockcrawler?? I could use a rebuild with some beefing up as well when money permits!! Or would it be best to switch to a built 727 like yours??? What do you think??
Also what kind of time frame are we looking at for starting that link suspension of yours then??? And will I be doing the cage at the same time?? Should be sweet!!!:greg:
Later,
Brother Matt

Hey Bro, if it was my rig I don't know what I would do. The 727 was the same tranny that was used behind the 440 and the mighty 426 HEMI (if I remember correctly what Sprueitt told me). But staying with the stock pieces is going to be easier (I think) becasue of all the computer crap that you have going on in your rig. I just don't know enough to give you an educated answer. I guess that my first item of buisness would be to get some different gears or axles first. That way you will be able to drive it a little bit and see what you think. Nobody is going to know your rig and driving habbits better than you.

As far a 4 link goes I really don't know for sure if it will happen before EJS or not. I kinda like living on the edge. I am not sure if I want the cage in yet or not. I don't think that my driving is close enough to the edge to warrant needing a cage yet. What do you think? I am at work for the next three nights but, I am really wanting to know how your back is first. I don't want to add to your already busy life. Two little girls, an awesome wife, and an injured back. I don't want to make things worse for ya'. I will give you a call sometime Monday or Tuesday if I get a chance.

LT.

Last edited:

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
Hey Bro, if it was my rig I don't know what I would do. The 727 was the same tranny that was used behind the 440 and the mighty 426 HEMI (if I remember correctly what Sprueitt told me). But staying with the stock pieces is going to be easier (I think) becasue of all the computer crap that you have going on in your rig. I just don't know enough to give you an educated answer. I guess that my first item of buisness would be to get some different gears or axles first. That way you will be able to drive it a little bit and see what you think. Nobody is going to know your rig and driving habbits better than you.

As far a 4 link goes I really don't know for sure if it will happen before EJS or not. I kinda like living on the edge. I am not sure if I want the cage in yet or not. I don't thing that my driving is close enough to the edge to warrant needing a cage yet. What do you think? I am at work for the next three nights but, I am really wanting to know how your back is first. I don't want to add to your already busy life. Two little girls, an awesome wife, and an injured back. I don't want to make things worse for ya'. I will give you a call sometime Monday or Tuesday if I get a chance.

LT.
I would say that you do definitely need a cage! Your driving style is totally in line with the kind that needs a cage!!!
http://video.cardomain.com/Clip.aspx?key=866458F262B86A67
Trackin???

As far as my rig goes... I know that I am going to be doing the rockwells. So that is a given. I wish I could afford to get the set that the guy on Planet 4x4 has because he is all the way down to $1000!!! IF ONLY!!! But I don't think it will be in issue to do any of your projects there Brother Rob! Just say the word and bring the truck!! Heck... for that matter I can probably come get it unless I go under the knife! lol!
Chat with you soon!
Matt

LT.

I am still not convinced that I need a cage. I have this goal to only do things once on this truck. If I go with the fourlink idea then I am going against my goal. So..... I am having a hard time justifying it. Same thing with the cage. I only want to do it one time. If I do give you the go ahead then I would be doing the suspension again and I would be doing the drive shafts again. I would need a fuel cell and I am not sure what to do with the body panels. You see the idea would be to stretch the wheelbase out to 112" to 116" from the original 106" I don't want to go too long on the wheelbase because all weekend I enjoyed being able to turn the beater on a dime. I also thought that on the majority of Moab Rim I had the perfect wheel base. However, on Pritchett Canyon I found that I could not get up the climb just before Rocker Knocker partly because I was a little on the short side (both front and rear tires were trying to climb a rock face). By lengthing the wheelbase I want the front axle moved forward a couple of inches and the rear moved back the rest of the way. Hence needing to relocate the fuel tank, and lengthing the drive shafts, dang it. I guess what I need to do is to sit down and figure out what I want the end result to be, not just the result for now. All in all it is a little overwhelming to think about.

LT.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Guess what???

My Fancy Dancy Black Box is a fancy dancy pile of garbage!!

I noticed the case was coming apart so I thought just the bolts were loose. When we pulled it apart there is a PILE of metal, bushings, gears at the bottom of the box.

I called Northwest fab and I guess a snap ring didnt get installed in a few of them causing this great reaction. Mine is the 4th so far.

They are going to warranty it for me but I get to ship it to Canada. That explains why it wouldnt stay in gear though. I was hoping to go wheel yesterday. Looks like it will be awhile.

Good news is I think the new MSD box fixed the problem with the motor

OH Scout

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
WOW!!! Are they going to warranty that cable shifter as well?? Or maybe come up with a direct shifter that mounts to the black box?? That is a major bummer, but atleast you found it in the shop and not on the trail, right??:rolleyes:
Did you take any pics of the destruction??
Matt

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Mitch took some camera phone pics. I will get them from him.

They are sending me different ends for the shifter as well. I guess they are having lots of problems with the ones that I have....Go figure....

I honestly cant believe it didnt explode in Moab. It would have if I would have ran Fins. It was barely hanging on

Dam the luck!!

LT.

I dropped off the beater on 10-14-08 at my friends shop so that I could get the tranny rebuilt. Hopefully he will be able to get right to it. He said that he had slowed down a little so I think he will be able to.

LT.

LT.

Tranny is back from the shop and is now sitting in my buddies shop. Sure is prudy. The fella who rebuilt it said that he was an off roader himself and was going to build it so that it could stand up to the abuse I would put it through. The fella rebuilt my whole tranny, upgraded clutches and rebuilt the torque converter for only $700.00. He also said that he would give me a warentee if I bought and installed a remote tranny filter and a tranny cooler. I am now off to my buddies house to see what kind of cooler I am going to need.

LT.

LT.

Transmission cooler and remote filter are on their way, all from B&M racing. I ordered them both from Summit Racing Equipment and they should be at the shop in three or four days (this is with ground shipping). Everything should be back together by this weekend, if all goes well.

Sooooo, I guess now I will have to save up for the coil-overs and some other material for the rear four-link. Turbosniper, is your back going to be in good enough shape for this? I don't think that it will be before the start of the next year.

LT.

LT.

Yesterday I picked up the new tranny fluid. $138.83 worth of it.:eek: They just don't give Royal Purple tranny fluid away. I droped it off at the shop and I hope to have the beater back by this weekend.

LT.

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
Hey there LT!!! Hopefully the back will be up and at it soon! I am headed to a pain doctor sometime next week to see what they can do for me... AKA... exciting spinal INJECTIONS!!!!:sick: Hope it works, if not looks like surgery or good old pain medications!!! :-\ But.... either way I should be good to go for making your Beater one heck of a :greg:machine!!! I am still waiting on those side, front, rear, and top views I asked for........lol
Good to hear the trans is in tip top shape!
Later brother!
Matt

LT.

It is tough to take any photos since the rig is in the Jemez Mountains and not here at the house. Sorry for not getting those photos to ya sooner but I have been working a lot.

LT.

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
Yeah, yeah... likely excuse!!! :p No worries bro! I can wait! Whenever it is convenient! Give me a buzz sometime you can so I can tell you about my little excursion to Denver today! It was interesting pulling people back onto the road on Vail Pass in a blizzard with the diesel!!! GOOD TIMES!!!
Later brother!
Matt
It is tough to take any photos since the rig is in the Jemez Mountains and not here at the house. Sorry for not getting those photos to ya sooner but I have been working a lot.

LT.