Marc Bryson's K30---Errrr '94 Wrangler----wait, '4x MB---I don't know what it is.....trail rig?

Marc Bryson's K30---Errrr '94 Wrangler----wait, '4x MB---I don't know... "Jeep" works

Owners Name & City-

Marc Bryson, Woods Cross, UT

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle-

Excellent question. Titled as a '80 CJ

Engine-

'89 TBI 350

Transmission-

700R4

T-Case-

D300

Axles-

Front: Chevy Dana 60, 4.56 gears, Eaton E-Locker. full width

Rear : Shaved 14 Bolt with spool, 4.56 gears. full width

Suspension-

Waggy fronts

XJ rears (reversed) 101" wheelbase

Wheels and Tires-

38" Super Swamper TSL/SX on stock H1 wheels with PVC beadlocks

Winch-

T-Max 9000

Favorite Trails-

Pritchett, Coyote Canyon, Mineral Basin

Other-

lots......

backontrailer.jpg

abandoned_rig.jpg

I'll get some 'action' pics next time I take it out. (it might be all one color by then, but who knows.......)

Attached are 'all one color' pics.......

freshpaint.jpg

freshpaint2.jpg

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
:cody:

Run with your plan and add a Currie anti-rock bar or something similar to keep it stable. Build your linked suspension with a decent amount of up-travel and if you can swing it, some air bumps... it'll haul arse and crawl in comfort!

I'm fairly confident I have a Teraflex anti-sway bar kicking around in my "stuff". Good call. Your TJ build keeps coming to mind with the remodel. Drop the thing down about 2-3" from where it sits now and enjoy driving it sounds good to me.

Oh, pics of the 2015 EJS are here. http://marbryson.com/2015-EJS.html

I've been going to do a write-up all week but haven't gotten one done yet for RME. Maybe on Sunday afternoon I'll have a few minutes do one?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm fairly confident I have a Teraflex anti-sway bar kicking around in my "stuff". Good call. Your TJ build keeps coming to mind with the remodel. Drop the thing down about 2-3" from where it sits now and enjoy driving it sounds good to me.

Oh, pics of the 2015 EJS are here. http://marbryson.com/2015-EJS.html

I've been going to do a write-up all week but haven't gotten one done yet for RME. Maybe on Sunday afternoon I'll have a few minutes do one?

I had a Teraflex Dual Rate on my TJ and it was hands down the best thing I added to it! Lock it for street use and even with full hydro, 40" Maxxis tires and longarms it was great on the road. Unlock it and it provided stability that made driving offroad very confidence inspiring. Anyone running coils F & R should have some kind of sway bar to keep it stable.

I didn't have much up-travel on the TJ as it ended up and it would bottom out pretty hard when moving fast. The low COG was killer, especially in Moab but a couple more inches... 1.5-2" more would have make it a more pleasant ride at speed.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I four linked my old Scrambler last year and love how much better it rides and handles on the road and how well it wheels off road. I ended up with 3" TJ springs in the rear, and some generic springs from NPS up front. My seats are now full electric Grand Cherokee seats that give lumbar support and a comfy ride. I even lift them up and tip them forward on some obstacles so I can see better. I put sway bars up front and in the rear and even though I am higher than I used to be I tip much less than I used too.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I can give you a hand with the CB. I have had pretty good luck with the last couple I have put in.

Also so it looks like we are both in the same situation when it comes to front suspensions. Mine has been sitting since winter 4x4 jam, something about doctor bills. :( I will be watching what you end up doing. Sorry the old man emu springs didn't work out.

When it comes to seats, i run mastercrafts in my scrambler and probably the best money I have spent. Makes a long day on the trail seem like a trip to the Ice cream shop. :). We have corbou seats in my wife's and they are pretty comfy too. I guess I am a fan of the whole butt bucket after the racing days.

It is funny how none of us can get away from the maintenance end of this hobby. You always seem to need change or upgrade something. Also regardless of how set up or dependable your rig is everyone has a turn breaking down. :)

let me me know if I can give you a hand. :D

mbryson

Supporting Member
Well, parts accumulation is in full swing. I almost have enough to tear the front suspension off and get rolling with that. The lower links are almost as heavy as a leaf spring. I'm sure I'm not losing weight with this mod. I think I'm just short some brackets for a panhard and need to figure out what to use for an "upper" in a radius arm setup.

IMG_0061.jpgIMG_0060.jpg

Carl+ whipped me up some radius arm brackets and other miscellaneous stuff for the front.

Dave, do you have a build thread for the Scrambler? I will check out your Commando build thread if you don't. Is the build much different than that?

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'm excited! Did Carlos make the same radius arm mounts as he did for Ryan for coils or are you going coilovers? I'm sorry if this has been covered already...

mbryson

Supporting Member
I'm excited! Did Carlos make the same radius arm mounts as he did for Ryan for coils or are you going coilovers? I'm sorry if this has been covered already...

Si, Carlos made me some modified versions of Ryan's phantom suspension (suspension espectro?)

Last edited:

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Dave, do you have a build thread for the Scrambler? I will check out your Commando build thread if you don't. Is the build much different than that?

I didn't have a build thread on it but it is similar to the Commando. You can always drop by and take a look if you want. I thought I wasn't adding that much weight when I did the Scrambler but the lack of power going up hills says otherwise. Hopefully the new stroker motor will fix that.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Good point.

I haven't had a lot of time. Just 30 min here, 1 hour there.
attachment.php

Here's basically what we're going for. A simple radius arm setup. I've run into a few issues along the way.

attachment.php

Here's issue #1. The tie rod is to close to the coil. I'll need to fix that a little. I'm thinking I need at least 1/4" or greater clearance. This is at full lock and will actually rub a fair amount. Not acceptable.

attachment.php

I'm going to cut this bracket back about 3/8" or so to move the spring pad back. SHOULD fix things enough? (been tempted to buy coilovers but I really don't want to spend that much)

Part of my time problem is this dude......

attachment.php

Haha don't try to take pictures of them, it will break your phone

Those are iPhone 6 pics. So far...ok

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    252.4 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    276.1 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
If I were to do it again, I would move my coil buckets back behind the axle tube, and a 3 link not a radius arm.

Kind of late but curious to your logic on the coil location. My coil's centerline are behind the axle centerline but not by a whole lot. (steering interference issues at full lock) I debated 3-link vs radius arm but I'm radius.