Maverick's kid's YJ build

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Rear lockrite isn't engaging passenger side.
I'm really curious to see why (guessing bent housing).

When this happened to me way back in the day ('88 XJ), I figured the LockRite had somehow failed. After I drove home and then drove it to Matt for disassembly and inspection, I learned it was because I broke an axle shaft--the LockRite was completely unharmed.

One new axle shaft later and I was back on the road.

There's a guy selling a D35 detroit on the Utah Broke Bastards page on FB.

Thanks, I posted on it.

When this happened to me way back in the day ('88 XJ), I figured the LockRite had somehow failed. After I drove home and then drove it to Matt for disassembly and inspection, I learned it was because I broke an axle shaft--the LockRite was completely unharmed.

One new axle shaft later and I was back on the road.

We'll find out when I get it torn apart. I think it's a c-clip axle but I'm not sure. It's been several years since it was installed. If it is not c-clip, it's behavior supports a broken axle shaft. And then I would get to use my cool cable-noose-axle-shaft extraction tool.

If you are swapping axles, go with an 8.8.

I will if I can find one that I can afford. That would be my preferred choice.

Also considering any 4.10 YJ Dana 35, or similar geared upgrade, or matched set from a YJ. I called on a 4.56 Dana 30 and 44 on KSL but it was sold.

The main problem is that I'm in St. George at a tennis tournament until Saturday night, which is really more of a first world problem so I can't complain too much.

Update: Super fun Jeep Safari and he's driving it all over. Craig Stitcher did the intake/exhaust gaskets right before EJS and it runs a LOT better (less crappy). Mileage improved from 10 to 15ish. He has a trailer hitch rack and is hauling his lawnmower and equipment around to the yards he does. Since he is leaving on a mission in August, he is trying to fit in all the adventures that he can.

Last night the right rear leaf spring center pin broke while he was up AF. I thought it was funny that I had a spare one in my tool box. We fixed it at the Taco Bell at the mouth of the canyon.

Today he said that after it warms up, it's running really crappy. (crappier than usual) What would do that on a 4cyl YJ?

Holy cow! When it starts up, it runs fine, usual power. After 20 minutes, suddenly gutless. Let it cool for a bit, runs fine again.

Is there anything that opens or closes or otherwise switches at a certain operating temp or period of time?

Happened with mine with a 4.0. It was a vacuum leak.

After a while it started running crappy? Do you recall where the vacuum leak was?

Is there something that opens when it's hot that has vacuum?

I guess we let it get hot, run crappy, then do the usual stuff to find vacuum leaks (ie, spray flammable stuff and see if the engine revs up)

Good ideas, thanks guys. Tomorrow is Camp Tracy again so I'll have to dig into it on Saturday around noon.

Cascadia

Undecided
Yes. It got hot going over Soldier Summit. So I popped the hood, looked underneath and there was a vacuum line that ran over the head. This was years ago so it's hard to remember exactly. I found it had a little crack in the line. I didn't have anything to fix it. But after it cooled it ran perfect. Then it happened on the way home. And 2 other times pulling a trailer. I replaced the line and it never happened again. It would run super crappy! Almost like it was missing a cylinder.

Yes. It got hot going over Soldier Summit. So I popped the hood, looked underneath and there was a vacuum line that ran over the head. This was years ago so it's hard to remember exactly. I found it had a little crack in the line. I didn't have anything to fix it. But after it cooled it ran perfect. Then it happened on the way home. And 2 other times pulling a trailer. I replaced the line and it never happened again. It would run super crappy! Almost like it was missing a cylinder.

Thanks! There does appear to be a massive vacuum leak.

But it gets worse. Radiator leak. AND...Oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil.

Anyone have a 2.5 for a '90 YJ sitting around?

I've thought a lot about going with a 5.3 backed by an 8.8, or even TBI350 & tons, etc, etc but that's just not what this jeep is about. Daily driver, cheap, fun for a high-schooler/college kid. If funds were there, I'd probably do the 5.3/8.8 but it's not cheap.