Maverick's kid's YJ build

idahoyj

I have a running (although less than perfectly) 2.5 in my '89 YJ that I have been considering swapping out.......
PM me if you are interested. I'm in Twin Falls, ID.

Purchased, and now installed. Just need the exhaust to be done.

Can't wait to have it back running. Maybe a couple more outings this summer, then Matt leaves for 2 years. We were going to keep it around, but now we are thinking about selling it.

amp713

Gonna have to read through the whole thread! Like YJ's, Love build threads, and love to see everyones approach! Let me know if you wanna sell that front D30 anytime soon! Gonna hook up with a 4.10 front and then find me an 8.8 4.10.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
PM sent. What are the differences between '89 and '90 in the 2.5?
entire engine control system, as far as the block goes really not much. main bearings are different (tang notch in the block and bearing caps are diferent), possibly camshaft, there may be more I cant remember off the top of my head. I just rebuild an early 2.5L (83-89) and put all the stuff off my 91 on it.

Why does the exhaust have to be re-done? Is it different from the last engine?
his manifold will fit on that block, its all the same.

idahoyj

Did you get the 350 installed?

Heck no!
I decided to do valve cover/oil pan/intake gasket while it was out. Then figured I'd do timing chain and oil pump too........ And now it's all painted up and pretty much put back together!
I laid out all of the injection parts Sunday afternoon. I stared at it for 20 minutes, scratched my head, and went back in the house. I'm not looking forward to that part of the job. If I'd found a transmission, I would have this thing in and mocked up by now. But without a trans, its hard to figure out placement so I'm kind of just dragging my feet.

Gonna have to read through the whole thread! Like YJ's, Love build threads, and love to see everyones approach! Let me know if you wanna sell that front D30 anytime soon! Gonna hook up with a 4.10 front and then find me an 8.8 4.10.

We'll probably hang on to the 30 front, it works for what we need. I was thinking of selling it, partly because it won't be driven, and partly to fund a car for his brother (not into jeeps). But, he wants a ready-to-wheel rig when he gets back from his mission cuz he'll be totally focused on school, so we're keeping it. I think if we stay with 33's or even 32's, that it will pretty much stay as it is. If I happen to find a cheap 8.8 & locker, then I'll consider a 5.3 swap. We'll see.

That was quick work. I wish mine was moving along that fast!
Why does the exhaust have to be re-done? Is it different from the last engine?
Hopefully that engine works out great for you.

So far, so good. His exhaust was shot. The guys down at Meineke on 33rd and State fixed us up.