Mbryson's 2012 JKU "build"

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Just got done adding this.

Its not built for use with a soft top but I'm not a fan of the JKU hardtop at all and want to use this rack for EJS. After deliberating for a while about elaborate bracket manufacturing and other things, I decided to just try some spacers and longer bolts with the provided brackets. That worked quite well with some adjustments to the cargo tray bracket. I would imagine I have compromised load quality to a certain degree. The shelf lists capacity at 75 pounds. With me adding more leverage via those bolts I think I will stick to a 50 pound limit. However, I have everything off the floor in the back cargo area in that tray. ARB chairs, first aid kit, couple of sweatshirts and a bag of bungees and stuff are off the floor.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    434.8 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 31

mbryson

Supporting Member
Here's an update on the axle shafts from EJS 2016.

Just checked out my axleshaft damage. It appears ALL the needle bearings in one axle joint are crushed/gone. The short side, only one caps worth is total junk. I assume the cracking you can see on the soft parts let the salt in and dried out the grease in the joints. After no grease, the needle bearings would just be crushed to nothing resulting in heavy tolerances. The long side shafts are likely junk. I'll put a joint in there and see if the ears area all stretched out. If so, I'll probably just tack the caps in and use it as a spare? I think the short side could be reused but the one cap is kind of destroyed so I'm not 100% sure.

attachment.php

attachment.php

You can see the deterioration of the seals here. These joints don't have a zerk so I'm not sure how you'd maintain them? The above is the long side shaft that has a LOT of play in it as there are NO needle bearings left (after driving it out from the overlook on Hells Revenge as gingerly as possible)

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is the short side shaft. One trunnion has NO needle bearings, the others are still fairly good. We'll see how the Superior Alloy shafts hold up with the kind of abuse I put them through? #superioraxle #alloyshaft #jkshaft #jkaxle

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Those are definitely reusable. I tack all my caps in on d30 joints, it's just part of the deal since it's so easy to wreck them and have it ruin the ears. I even tried full circle clips and they didn't even last as long as tacked caps do. I'm really hopeful that chromo's will treat me better.

mbryson

Supporting Member
$4.5k with full float and shafts, lockouts and brakes really isn't that bad.

When they include tone rings and bolt-in brackets on all new parts, it's pretty reasonable. The bonus is you don't have to wonder what happened to the one ton truck you sourced the original axle from.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
When they include tone rings and bolt-in brackets on all new parts, it's pretty reasonable. The bonus is you don't have to wonder what happened to the one ton truck you sourced the original axle from.
The hard stuff is done. JKs are a different beast when it comes to axle swaps and keeping the factory junk.