Mikes First Yota Build

mhafen

Bought the tires and rims... I know they are an odd size but that kind of makes it more mine... I have no clue how to install tcase gears and Id be scared to do it. But Ill cross that bridge when I come to it. If it gets hard to find tires or what not I still have my 15's. I can run these tires into the ground and be good to go.

mhafen

I would love to come by Steve thank you for the invite... Tonight is a hard night, its graduation at the U and its my birthday so my buddys are taking me out. Are the gears a quick install? If so when I get them would you be cool with me coming by and giving me a hand?

sixstringsteve

happy birthday. I wouldn't say the gears are quick, but they're not difficult. The instructions from marlin and trail gear are very straightforward.

mhafen

So there is no grinding involved or anything? If its straight forward I may try my hand at it. Ive wanted to crack open a tcase to see how it works.
Since this is my DD what would be more benifitial to get right off the bat diff gears or tcase gears? Im rolling around 35's so my gut tells me Diffs. Thoughts?
I need to paint the truck soon Im thinking flat black. Does anyone have any pics of a 1st gen or similar that is flat black?

Max Power

Bryce
First off there is grinding involved on your t-case so your new gears don't rub. If you are rolling around around on 35's you will most likely want to gear down to 5.29's. That will bring you back to the stock gearing feel. I like the white paint if it is in good shape. Flat black will not clean very easily and I have seen it stain from mud. If you are going to go that route I would paint it rustoleum satin black. Make sure to lightly sand your truck with 220 grit then do your painting. Nice truck.

sixstringsteve

^^^^ what he said.

I shouldn't say a tcase is easy. It's harder than an oil change, but easier than rebuilding an engine. You need a grinder and some other tools. If you don't have a garage to work in, I'd recommend paying someone to do it for you.

mhafen

I like the analogy Steve its perfect.
Today the engine gets done! I had a hard time tracking down an oil pump gasket... No idea why I guess I just happened to need one when the oil pump gasket fairy took the week off. The rims should be here soon and then I can get the 35's mounted.
About the rims. What does it take to paint them? The only color they had was white and they look way to much like samurai rims for my liking. Should I just 220 grit sand paper prime and paint?
Also does any one know where to find a well priced battery tray?

Max Power

Bryce
About the rims. What does it take to paint them? The only color they had was white and they look way to much like samurai rims for my liking. Should I just 220 grit sand paper prime and paint?

I would sand the crappy factory paint down the best you can. Get a can of self etching primer and do two light coats of that. A hour later do two coats of the paint in whatever color you want about 5 to 8 minutes apart. After that dries to for about a hour spray two light coats of crystal clear enamel. All these products are made my Rustoleum and you can find at The Home Depot. That is how I would paint them. If you take the time to do all those steps they will last years. Good luck on the build.

mhafen

Thank you Tacoman and Max.
Ill be using your formula for long lasting paint jobs when the rims arrive (which should be the end of this week) Ill be doing them in black. Thats what my plan for Saturday.
I got a little bit done on the engine but one of the nuts for the exhaust manifold is frozen so it needs some love.... some impact gun love. Today thats my goal is just to finish all of the gasket work. Im surprised how much this simple job has nickle and dimed my time away. What seemed like a one day job has turned into a 4 or 5 day exploritory surgery into the bowels of a 31 year old engine.

Max Power

Bryce
When you buy your black paint for the wheels buy the satin sheen. The clear enamel will stick to that better than if you bought gloss black.

mhafen

What an interesting day. I went to get the engine together and the timeing chain is so worn out it has been chipping away at the bolts inside the cover... What a pain in the butt. I ordered a new chain and sprockets and all that jazz just so I know its all done. What a frustrating find esspecially since it halted all the other work while I tried to track down a replacement.
Good news is that all 4 new rims are in. Ill be painting them tomorrow evening (weather permitting) and getting the tires mounted and balanced on friday afternoon.

mhafen

Thanks Steve. Im getting nickle and dimed on my time and its getting frustrating. I understand you went through the same problem during your build. I know Ill get through it, its just a pain... I really want to drive up and or off of something large... My Escape isnt cutting it with this thing sitting next to it.

sixstringsteve

that's how every build is, and you've only worked on the engine so far :D You're nickeled and dimed for your time, little tiny parts you never budgeted for, tools breaking, unexpected parts breaking, adapters, etc. I'll bet I had $200 in bolts alone in my last build.