Mineral Basin

shmoesmith

How hard on the moab scale would you rate AF canyon where you guys are going? My wife is going with our sammy, which has stock suspension and tires and I wanna make sure she has the skill to get it through....if not, she might need to take our other car which has some lift on it and a bit bigger tires and some more flex.???I have been told by some that the rock garden is a real bitch..others have told me there are easy ways through and it is really only a 3 or 3+ rating.....or if anyone has any pics, that would be awesome.

-Doug

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Originally posted by MR.CJ-7
OK I got my tank back in my CJ its running fairly well except some issuses with the rebuilt carb and float level. I will try to adjust that tonite. What time is the meeting time at the gas station or reservoir? I am going to try to make it...depending on how early you guys are leaving and how late I am out tonite :)
We'll be meeting at the Cheveron at the Alpine/Highland exit at 9:00am, and at the reservoir at 9:30am. Remember, its $3 to get into AF canyon.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I think a couple of us will be camping up there tonight, most likely we will just wait for you to pass us on the trail rather than drive back down to the resevoir. Will be in either my Blue FJ40 or a freinds tan FJ40

:D

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
What time do you think will be back. I guess it's hard to say but a ruff Idea would be handy. Theres going to be alot of people from what everyone is saying the XJ people and then all of us maybe we should do Rattlesnake?

terrymac

Originally posted by Portrnrzuk
What time do you think will be back. I guess it's hard to say but a ruff Idea would be handy. Theres going to be alot of people from what everyone is saying the XJ people and then all of us maybe we should do Rattlesnake?

From what I understand, there will be 2 groups, the XJ's and the Sami's, doing the trail at different times. I have never been there but I don't think it will be a big cluster ****. Rattlesnake is a whole different trip, an hour to get there and 10 minutes to do the trail. I am more interested in 30 minutes to get there and several hours (maybe) to do the trail. There is a RME Rattlesnake run on Sunday, do both.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
In all honestly I can be at the trailhead of Rattlesnake before I can be at the trailhead of Mineral Basin or Forest Lake... But in my opinion the scenery is much better, don't let driving times sway your decision... :D Pine trees are way cooler than sage brush :D

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Don't get me wrong I want to Go to AF Just don't want to have everybody and there dog up there together I'm going to be at the gas station at 9:00am.

S

sukaB

Better hope Sky isnt planning on wheeling he probably left tonight and ended up camping...

IN THE TRAIL THAT IS.....hehehehehehe
you guys are screwed...

bretto

Willytime
WHy can't we all get along? :) Just cause you have a Zuk and I have a XJ doesn't mean we can't be friends and ride along together. I don't see what the big deal is, there may be a few/alot of rigs up there, but it is all fun. :)......be happy.....have fun......see-ya up there.

Brett

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
Sorry to dog out on you guys, I really wanted to make this trail ride. I spent the afternoon yesterday adjusting the carb on my CJ and it was running good until today, then I realized it wasn't trail ready.

Maybe next time I can hook up with you. Hope you had a good trip

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Must be something with the CJ7s... ;) Mine had the trottle sticking open on me. I went anyway and had a great time.
SammiGrrl should have some pictures here sometime... Unless she's under her Zuk welding that spring back in place... ;) :D

Brad Yates

airwalks are cool
when did you guys leave Tibble Fork Res? i woke up at like 10am and said "crap i'm gonna be late!" so i packed up camp real quick and made my way down forest lake to mineral basin. then i didn't see anyone so i went up until the snow got too deep. i figured you must have left later because no zuk can go as far as i went =) ok maybe jeff cardall's zuk.

Last edited:

Brad Yates

airwalks are cool
here's a lovely pic of me on the mb rock.

mbrock.jpg

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Originally posted by Brad Yates
when did you guys leave Tibble Fork Res? i woke up at like 10am and said "crap i'm gonna be late!" so i packed up camp real quick and made my way down forest lake to mineral basin. then i didn't see anyone so i went up until the snow got too deep. i figured you must have left later because no zuk can go as far as i went =) ok maybe terrymac's zuk.

We probably left Tibble fork around 10:00. (air down, introductions, etc)

J

jeff cardall

when did you guys leave Tibble Fork Res? i woke up at like 10am and said "crap i'm gonna be late!" so i packed up camp real quick and made my way down forest lake to mineral basin. then i didn't see anyone so i went up until the snow got too deep. i figured you must have left later because no zuk can go as far as i went =) ok maybe terrymac's zuk.
made it all the way past the snow up to the bottom of the ski resort and did it in a zuk:D :p

Brad Yates

airwalks are cool
Originally posted by jeff cardall
made it all the way past the snow up to the bottom of the ski resort and did it in a zuk:D :p
:D :D did you see that big snow patch where i was obviously having too much fun on? then there was a 60* kick in the trail to the right. that's where i stopped cause i didn't see any tire tracks. how much farther till the ski slope was it from here?

J

jeff cardall

:D :D did you see that big snow patch where i was obviously having too much fun on? then there was a 60* kick in the trail to the right. that's where i stopped cause i didn't see any tire tracks. how much farther till the ski slope was it from here?
you were almost there if u would have gone maybe 1000 yrds more u would have been right at the bottoms of the lifts thats where i turned around i just went up to see if we could have got any of the other suk's up there but thats pretty much the end of the trail,there is a trail that cuts across the resort and goes up on the north side but dont have any idea where that goes? it is a good road from what i could tell.