Moab Camping Trip: Oct 7-10th

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I may be interested in joining in the camping trip. I could come down Friday night but would need to leave Sunday to be back to work on Monday. In reading through all the posts I am a little confused where you plan to camping each night and the trails you plan on doing. I know it is a little early for an October trip but could you layout your trip as it is right now in a single post so I can see if it will work out for us.

The guys going on this trip have adhd... literally :rofl:

Addiction

Life is Good!!
Hey guys, I am still working on being able to come. My only concern is my boys football games on Saturday. I am already missing two of their games due to work. I dont like missing their games.

sixstringsteve

dang. i hope you can find a way to make it down Toby. The goblin valley hike will be awesome. it'd be worth driving down for that, wheeling on friday afternoon (hell's revenge in the light), and heading home friday night.

dentedvw

uıɐƃɐ ʇɐɥʇ op ʇ,uoʍ ı
Sounds like a good time, I am interested. Considering my track record of breaking my Jeep, I might rent a tow vehicle for the week. :)

cja89

is it easier or harder than little wildhorse?

More difficult. It depends on which way you do it. If you go up ding and down dang, its easier because it's more down climbing. If you go the reverse (the way I went last time), then it's more difficult because you're doing a bit of scrambling/climbing. It's a lot of fun, but some of the climbs are completely exposed.

sixstringsteve

sweet, sounds like my kind of trail. I took my wife and my dog on little wildhorse last year, and it's my favorite hike yet. I heard ding and dang were just as cool. Looks like we'll go up dang and down ding.

What do you mean the climbs are completely exposed? They're not in a slot canyon? Do you need any climbing harnesses or ropes or anything?

cja89

sweet, sounds like my kind of trail. I took my wife and my dog on little wildhorse last year, and it's my favorite hike yet. I heard ding and dang were just as cool. Looks like we'll go up dang and down ding.

What do you mean the climbs are completely exposed? They're not in a slot canyon? Do you need any climbing harnesses or ropes or anything?

From what I remember, some of it was just up and over chalkstones and small ledges. One part I do remember in particular was where the canyon opened up quite a bit and you come up to what is probably usually a waterfall. It was about 25 feet high and with nothing around you and you just gotta go straight up it basically. Rope and harnesses definitely aren't needed, but a 30' rope would be good to have just in case. The climbing skill is about a 5.7 at the most.

Found a picture that gives a perspective on one of the obstacles that is typical (this one has good cover around you). My friend who took the picture is about 6 feet tall, and thats me lookin stupid in the background.

148236_1332642749187_1024560705_31552224_7775498_n.jpg

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

awesome Nick, it'll be so great to have you with us! You better be able to make it on those trails with a rig like that. :D

sixstringsteve

we're getting close. It's time to get the time off work to make this trip happen. I'll be heading down on Thursday night (probably around 7 PM or so). That puts us at goblin valley around 10:30. I was thinking of camping on the dirt road just outside of goblin valley.

Let's get a roll-call going on. Let me know what days you'll be there, and if you'll be driving down with me on Thursday. I'll update post #1 to show reflect our planned attendees.

Last edited:

Runnr

I'll be coming for a few days. Put me down for Saturday and Sunday, with a possibility of Friday. Steve, do you have extra room in your truck? (for when we run the trails, not camping... sicko) Also, is camping at Base Camp free, or is there a fee?

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

There is a fee everywhere we camp (unless it's on a trail.) Base camp is cheap though (under $10). Yes, you can ride in my truck Bri.

sixstringsteve

I don't like wheeling alone, and stuff has come up with my friends, so it looks like this trip won't be happening.

Instead I'll be planning a trip to the swell for the same dates. That way my friends who don't have built rigs can join us.

shaunware

Does anyone going down have room on a trailer for a LJ on 33s.
I want to go but I don't have a tow rig yet. I can pay for gas and stuff...