Montero on Kane Creek trail....

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Was anyone else there when we pulled the Rodeo out of Constrictor? Greg? Shawn?

A couple of big manageable pieces and strap could go a long ways...

it seems like that was trip when Shawn broke a dana 60 stub shaft though... :D

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!

Granted is has been 5+ years since I have been on kane's creek...

So I might be up in the night :D

Last edited:

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
20140417_133038.jpg20140417_133029.jpg20140417_133021.jpg

ok the coordinates are N 38* 22' 50.7" W 109* 30' 44.6"

It seems that the Moab Friends For Wheeling group is looking at this as well... they are going to do a exploratory run out there not this weekend but next weekend sometime... so watch their facebook page for more info on what they are doing....

They have the same Idea as us of cutting the top off and then rolling it a few times over onto the main road and then cutting it up and from there they have a helicopter pilot down there that would be willing to airlift it out in parts... but they would be footing the bill for his fuel it sounded like. so maybe we could raise some money to help cover that cost with them and see if the BLM can match or donate some as well.

If we were to cut it up and haul it out it would have to go back out the long route due to steep climb and huge shelves in that climb.

So there is all that I know at this point on this subject....
Discuss....

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
View attachment 90704View attachment 90703View attachment 90702

ok the coordinates are N 38* 22' 50.7" W 109* 30' 44.6"

It seems that the Moab Friends For Wheeling group is looking at this as well... they are going to do a exploratory run out there not this weekend but next weekend sometime... so watch their facebook page for more info on what they are doing....

They have the same Idea as us of cutting the top off and then rolling it a few times over onto the main road and then cutting it up and from there they have a helicopter pilot down there that would be willing to airlift it out in parts... but they would be footing the bill for his fuel it sounded like. so maybe we could raise some money to help cover that cost with them and see if the BLM can match or donate some as well.

If we were to cut it up and haul it out it would have to go back out the long route due to steep climb and huge shelves in that climb.

So there is all that I know at this point on this subject....
Discuss....

MFFW will be taking a BLM person in when we go on April 27th. I'll post up after the run.

blznnp

How soon would you be looking at doing this? This might be to far out but there will be a group of us down in Moab for a week in June. I can see if they would like ( which I assume they would, all from out of state) to help with the clean up. Most will be s10's so they could help out with the carrying away as long as they didn't mind scratching the bed up.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
MFFW will be taking a BLM person in when we go on April 27th. I'll post up after the run.

We have a group that will be running trails in Moab from the 24th-27th. Our plan is to run Kane Creek on Saturday, the 26th - wish we could meet up with you.

Last edited:

jr4x

Theres no way you are getting a trailer that can hold anything sizable in or out of that trail, and it has to have about 4000 lbs of sand and rock in it. We went by it yesterday and contemplated how it could be removed in one piece. Our conclusion was that if you (as has already been mentioned) cut the top off and roll it several times to dump it out. Then winch the front up onto the rear of a good heavy rig. Put two good roller tires on the rear of it. Then take it out the top, by driving what the good heavy rig can manage on its own, then having a rig ahead to help winch it up the couple of hard spots. No way would any of us want to try to take it out the bottom.

Theres no way you are getting a trailer that can hold anything sizable in or out of that trail, and it has to have about 4000 lbs of sand and rock in it. We went by it yesterday and contemplated how it could be removed in one piece. Our conclusion was that if you (as has already been mentioned) cut the top off and roll it several times to dump it out. Then winch the front up onto the rear of a good heavy rig. Put two good roller tires on the rear of it. Then take it out the top, by driving what the good heavy rig can manage on its own, then having a rig ahead to help winch it up the couple of hard spots. No way would any of us want to try to take it out the bottom.

I've done this before with a Pinzgauer that had a broken front axle. Just winch the front end up tight to the back of the frame/bed so the front end is off the ground, then drive out slow. That last obstacle getting out of the wash, we would probably have to setup a chain of 2-3 vehicles to get up the shelf or winch up.

jr4x

I've done this before with a Pinzgauer that had a broken front axle. Just winch the front end up tight to the back of the frame/bed so the front end is off the ground, then drive out slow. That last obstacle getting out of the wash, we would probably have to setup a chain of 2-3 vehicles to get up the shelf or winch up.

Another note, I would go in from the top grab onto to it then go back out the top. We helped spot a fullsize blazer in from the bottom and the tippy squeaze spot at the very bottom is getting really bad, much worse than even a few years ago. The blazer and one 4dr JK were scary getting through that. The point where the left rear hits the rock on the high side made the right fronts slide straight into the hole toward what would be a nasty roll if it slid only a couple more inches. Small rigs are fine but big heavy ones not so much. There is a few ledges going up the top that wont be easy towing a vihicle but IMO arent precarious if taking your time. Like you said if you had a chain train going with a good capable rig in front I think it could be done relatively quickly and painlessly. It sounds like a plan is already in motion and I would like to thank anyone helping get that pile of garbage out of there.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
So we made a trip today to check out the Montero. Brought a BLM rep with us. We winched it out of the creek and back onto 4 wheels. The plan is to cut the top off, along with as much sheet metal as we can. We'll roll it over a few more times to get rid of as much sand and debris as possible, bolt on some wheels and tires, and try to drag it out the top. It is going to be a difficult recovery, but I think it is possible. Not sure when we will attempt the recovery (need to round up wheels that will fit, as three of the four are pretty much destroyed). I will post up a date when we set one. Oh, we also recovered a VIN, and the BLM will try to track down the owner.

I think with enough of us there will be no need for a trailer. Several vehicles and lots of hands will be key.

This

I was there. Good times.

So we made a trip today to check out the Montero. Brought a BLM rep with us. We winched it out of the creek and back onto 4 wheels. The plan is to cut the top off, along with as much sheet metal as we can. We'll roll it over a few more times to get rid of as much sand and debris as possible, bolt on some wheels and tires, and try to drag it out the top. It is going to be a difficult recovery, but I think it is possible. Not sure when we will attempt the recovery (need to round up wheels that will fit, as three of the four are pretty much destroyed). I will post up a date when we set one. Oh, we also recovered a VIN, and the BLM will try to track down the owner.

Nice job!

A couple generators/air compressors and a few cutting wheels and cordless impact wrenches would create many bite size pieces. I know my scrambler could take a couple doors or even the engine. Several vehicles with the major components would get it done. It would take a few hours but the drive out would be easy.

On the flip side, dragging it up the dugway will be VERY difficult (but fun) with zero assistance from the vehicle and questionable steering tendencies. A couple of the tow vehicles could be strapped together...hella nasty for the second vehicle's frame if the Monty gets hung up and the first vehicle keeps pulling...make sure that frame is stout.

I'd suggest a tow-bar. I've got a chain-mounted one that could be used. That would keep it RIGHT behind the tow rig. Hmmm, I might even be willing to drag it out with that. Put mbryson in front of me and we're golden. (I'm sure there's a line of volunteers for dragging duty)

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
This

I was there. Good times.

Nice job!

A couple generators/air compressors and a few cutting wheels and cordless impact wrenches would create many bite size pieces. I know my scrambler could take a couple doors or even the engine. Several vehicles with the major components would get it done. It would take a few hours but the drive out would be easy.

On the flip side, dragging it up the dugway will be VERY difficult (but fun) with zero assistance from the vehicle and questionable steering tendencies. A couple of the tow vehicles could be strapped together...hella nasty for the second vehicle's frame if the Monty gets hung up and the first vehicle keeps pulling...make sure that frame is stout.

I'd suggest a tow-bar. I've got a chain-mounted one that could be used. That would keep it RIGHT behind the tow rig. Hmmm, I might even be willing to drag it out with that. Put mbryson in front of me and we're golden. (I'm sure there's a line of volunteers for dragging duty)

Good suggestions, thanks Brett. I will post up a trip date once we are ready. Anyone that would like to help is welcome and appreciated!

rockwell

I just saw this thread. I'm headed to Moab this weekend, and will hopefully be running this trail with my fullsize. Is there anything i can do to help prep it for towing?