My first AR15

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
About a year ago I picked up an ArmaLite AR15 chambered in 5.56. I will gladly admit that I don't know much about AR's, but with the changing gun control climate and prices, I decided to pick one up while I still can and learn as I go. There is SO much information and options out there for building up an AR, it's not easy for a newbie to navigate. I wanted a AR for mixed use, mostly home defense and a bit of plinking now & again.

I bought it w/o sights, as I knew I wanted to upgrade eventually any how. Here's how it got it... looks pretty naked! :greg:

P1020001-L.jpg

It took me awhile, but eventually I added a onto the bare bones AR... the list of parts looked like this.

• TAPCO AR Armorer's Tool
  • MagPul MBUS Backup Sights
  • Grip-Pod, a retractable Bi-pod and forward grip
  • Aluminum Quad Rail, from Global Military Gear
  • Nikon P-Series Mounts and a Nikon P-223 3x32 scope

The added accessories really helped finish off the AR...

20131227_101259-L.jpg

20131227_101314-L.jpg

20131227_101435-L.jpg

With Colorado's changing laws about rifle magazines and the push to make 30 round mags illegal, I ordered a few MagPul PMags while I still could... :eek:

20131220_114627-L.jpg

I've got around 600 rounds on hand, need to work on getting MUCH more! Hopefully one of these days the weather will warm up enough to get out and get shooting! I'm really looking forward to sighting this thing in and seeing how much fun it's going to be to shoot!

Now that I have this one together, I would love to eventually add a couple more... an AR10 sounds like way too much fun! And perhaps a short AR with iron sights, for home defense only?

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Very nice!
It has also been nice to see ammo prices coming down, you can find 1K rd. box for under $500, still not awesome, but it's much better than it was shortly ago at $800

blznnp

I think it looks crappy, I will draw you a picture of a sweet one and give it to you and you can just give me that one so you don't have to look at it anymore......I would love to pick one up but I don't think my wife see's any other point to another gun unless its a hunting rifle. and the gun looks good Greg.

Caleb

Looking good greg :cool: So if I'm reading this right, you haven't got out and shot it yet? Man, I was never really in to the AR/carbine style guns. Then I got out shooting them and now it's my favorite gun to shoot. You need to go put some rounds through it :D

Greg

Admin

looking good!

Thanks guys, I'm excited to use it!

Very nice!
It has also been nice to see ammo prices coming down, you can find 1K rd. box for under $500, still not awesome, but it's much better than it was shortly ago at $800

I've been watching! I bought 500 rounds from Black Gun Industries for less than $.50/round when prices were HIGH, just to have some on hand. I've been watching prices fall, hopefully soon they'll be $.30/round or less. I'd love to have 5k rounds on hand. :eek:

Looking good Greg!

I know LOTS of guys that hunt with AR's. If I ever got one, that's what I'd do with it.

- DAA

Thanks Dave!

I just finished building my first one this week! How do you like that grip/bipod combo?

I haven't shot it yet, so far as I know it's great. I wanted a forward grip and I like having a bi-pod for shooting, so this was a winning combo!

Looking good greg :cool: So if I'm reading this right, you haven't got out and shot it yet? Man, I was never really in to the AR/carbine style guns. Then I got out shooting them and now it's my favorite gun to shoot. You need to go put some rounds through it :D

Correct! I know, it's been killing me having it together and still not shooting it yet. With this cold weather, it's been hard to get out. Soon, hopefully!

SnwMnkys

Theyre addicting. Its almost as fun building them as shooting them. I just finished an AR10 build after building my first couple AR15s last year during the craziness.

Freedom Munitions had 500rds for $190 with free shipping.

LT.

Greg- Let me know if you have any questions about them. I work with them for a living running and gunning for our Government. Pretty familiar with them to say the least.

LT.

Greg

Admin
New bang bang, Yay!

Yay is right!

Love it! I use mine for coyote hunting.

Great idea! I have a .243, but perhaps I'll try bagging some coyotes with the AR! Now to learn how to hunt coyotes! :rofl:

I have that same scope. Quite like it for the $.

I like it, seems to be a quality scope for the $$.

Theyre addicting. Its almost as fun building them as shooting them. I just finished an AR10 build after building my first couple AR15s last year during the craziness.

Freedom Munitions had 500rds for $190 with free shipping.

I could totally see how they'd be fun to build, I have another friend that has been building AR's for some time. Seems like a good hobby! The AR10 sounds awesome!

I'll have to watch Freedom Munitions, that's a great price.

Zombies, duh.

:thumbs:

Greg- Let me know if you have any questions about them. I work with them for a living running and gunning for our Government. Pretty familiar with them to say the least.

LT.

Thanks for the offer LT! I'm just getting started, have a long way to go too! I'm a bit jealous of you servicemen that have had so much time 'playing' with these things. :cool: A M4 would be a blast!

Greg

Admin
I finally got the AR out today, spent the first several rounds getting the scope sighted in. We had a paper target, some steel targets and a couple of old, large Pumpkins that were due for recycling. I've got to say, the AR is surely the funnest gun I've ever shot!! Even though I was taking it easy on the ammo, I could see how easily one could burn up a few hundred rounds real quick. By the time we were done (had a Ruger 10/22 for the wife and my XD 40 for practice), the pumpkins were slaughtered! It was a great time! I may have to get out again this weekend. :greg:

Caleb

I finally got the AR out today, spent the first several rounds getting the scope sighted in. We had a paper target, some steel targets and a couple of old, large Pumpkins that were due for recycling. I've got to say, the AR is surely the funnest gun I've ever shot!! Even though I was taking it easy on the ammo, I could see how easily one could burn up a few hundred rounds real quick. By the time we were done (had a Ruger 10/22 for the wife and my XD 40 for practice), the pumpkins were slaughtered! It was a great time! I may have to get out again this weekend. :greg:

:rofl: ...and so it begins :p

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I have wanted to build an AR for a while, but I always come back to function and practicality..

I would go out and go bang, bang, bang until the mag was empty, repeat, repeat. The cost for an afternoon would be into the hundreds. I (useta could) take the .22 out and go through the same 500rds, and only spend $20, not $250.. So for a day of fun shooting, not really practical..

For home defense, and good shotgun like the KSG would be way more effective and safe to use than an AR. No stray bullets through the walls, etc.

However, every time I play with an AR I get bit by the 'gotta have one' bug again..
However, I could sell my dirt bike, and take the same money I'd spend on a gun and upgrade my bike by quite a bit..
However, my bike works just great.. It's almost to the break in point :)
However, I have also been looking for a couple of full size pistols so the wife and I can use our FrontSight memberships..
However......

Caleb

Even though it's way cheaper, there's no comparison in a day of shooting a .22 all-day and shooting an AR all day, even if it's significantly more expensive.