My first AR15

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Thats why I bought a AK74. you can find ammo right now for about 20 cents a round. But I have yet to shoot mine yet. :rolleyes:

I do want to buy a AR so that I can shoot at a indoor range. One of these days.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
:rofl: ...and so it begins :p

You aren't kidding! I need to find a good deal on ammo... 25 cents a round would be great.

I have wanted to build an AR for a while, but I always come back to function and practicality..

I would go out and go bang, bang, bang until the mag was empty, repeat, repeat. The cost for an afternoon would be into the hundreds. I (useta could) take the .22 out and go through the same 500rds, and only spend $20, not $250.. So for a day of fun shooting, not really practical..

For home defense, and good shotgun like the KSG would be way more effective and safe to use than an AR. No stray bullets through the walls, etc.

However, every time I play with an AR I get bit by the 'gotta have one' bug again..
However, I could sell my dirt bike, and take the same money I'd spend on a gun and upgrade my bike by quite a bit..
However, my bike works just great.. It's almost to the break in point :)
However, I have also been looking for a couple of full size pistols so the wife and I can use our FrontSight memberships..
However......

There's no question that shooting isn't cheap, especially now a days with ammo being so hard to find and expensive. I don't plan on wearing the barrel out, but will be shooting the AR every now & again. I have the 10/22 and for when I want to empty the clip in a matter of seconds. :D

The debate of shotgun vs. AR for home defense is a good one. I have a Mossberg 500 by my bed, but it's limited to holding 5 shells before I have to load again... if there are 3 bad guys in your house, you better be a good shot. Even with a 18.5" barrel, the spread of 00 Buck Shot within a home isn't going to be very wide, so aim carefully. Getting back on target with a shotgun isn't an easy task either. With the AR, you have 30 rounds on hand.... not saying you want to spray your house, but now you have that many more rounds to fire before you have to worry about reloading, and then it's a simple swap of the clip for another 30 rounds. And getting back on target vs the shotgun should be easier as well.

As far as shooting thru walls... not much to say other than know your target and hit it well. You can buy low-penetration ammo if you feel the need. For me personally, we don't have any kids in the house and my wife would hopefully be by my side, so no worries there... and the exterior of our home is brick, so I doubt any rounds would be getting out of the home. Are you familiar with the 'boxoftruth.com'? Guy does some pretty neat tests shooting thru drywall with shotguns vs. handguns vs. AR's. In the end, a 12 gauge (Same shotgun I have) with buckshot is able to penetrate 8 layers of drywall (4 walls) before the shot is stopped! Makes you think about over-penetration and the common misconception that a shotgun will be stopped at the first wall.

I wouldn't sell anything to buy one... save up your money if you really want one! Prices are pretty decent currently.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I have been buying my 7.62x39 for .22 cents a round with free shipping. I just watch gunbot on my phone for the real good deals

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I am kind of an optimist, and think that 30rds of .22 would stop a couple intruders also..

But I am going shooting with my BIL today who has a pretty sweet AR that he built for less than 1K in parts.. and I just cashed a fat check from a side gig.. we will see what happens..

Greg

Admin
I am kind of an optimist, and think that 30rds of .22 would stop a couple intruders also..

But I am going shooting with my BIL today who has a pretty sweet AR that he built for less than 1K in parts.. and I just cashed a fat check from a side gig.. we will see what happens..

I hear ya... I told my wife yesterday that the 10/22 is for her, to back me up. We have a few 25 round clips for it. :greg:

Look at you... 'we'll see what happens'. :p

Greg

Admin
Looking at the price difference between 5.56 (low of .39 cents/round) and .223 (low of .28 cents/round), I may stock up on .223 and use it for plinking. I'm not sure I'm anywhere near good enough or serious enough to notice the difference in accuracy in shooting .223 out of a gun chambered for 5.56. If I decide to do some hunting or serious target shooting, then I'll use the 5.56 that I have on hand. In the meantime, .28 cents a round for .223 sounds pretty good.

Caleb

FWIW, Scheels has had in-stock DPMS Oracles for $650 (fitting price for the gun, but it will get you in to an AR for cheap) or a Rock River for around $1000 (again, fair price for the gun).

chans

Looking at the price difference between 5.56 (low of .39 cents/round) and .223 (low of .28 cents/round), I may stock up on .223 and use it for plinking. I'm not sure I'm anywhere near good enough or serious enough to notice the difference in accuracy in shooting .223 out of a gun chambered for 5.56. If I decide to do some hunting or serious target shooting, then I'll use the 5.56 that I have on hand. In the meantime, .28 cents a round for .223 sounds pretty good.

External dimensions on .223 and 5.56 are exactly the same but the 5.56 has different internal dimensions and builds up more pressure from less room. Depending on the velocity the gun likes the .223 might be more accurate at least it is in my case.

Caleb

External dimensions on .223 and 5.56 are exactly the same but the 5.56 has different internal dimensions and builds up more pressure from less room. Depending on the velocity the gun likes the .223 might be more accurate at least it is in my case.

This. When a gun says it's chambered for 5.56, it just means it's able to handle the higher pressure of the 5.56 round.

Greg

Admin

This. When a gun says it's chambered for 5.56, it just means it's able to handle the higher pressure of the 5.56 round.

Good to hear! I bought a 5.56 gun for this reason... it'll be interesting to see the actual difference between the 2 in my ArmaLite.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
My AR troubles are over! After shooting my BIL's gun I discovered that I absolutely have NO desire to own one! No need to buy one now :)

I love the way they feel/handle when playing with one at home.. But as soon as I went to shoot it, it felt awkward. I hated the sound/feel of the spring slapping around each time it fired. For a low recoil gun, it seemed to be all over when trying to get back on target.
On a side note, I really liked my new .243. And my trusty model .587 (.22) was a blast to shoot as usual.

On a side side note, I hit my 3/8" steel walking target with the .243. Now I need to make another :(

Greg

Admin
Well, there you go! One less thing to worry about. :D

I shot my .243 at a .22LR target and punched a hole right thru it... oops. And... the AR does the same thing. :greg:

Caleb

My AR troubles are over! After shooting my BIL's gun I discovered that I absolutely have NO desire to own one! No need to buy one now :)

I love the way they feel/handle when playing with one at home.. But as soon as I went to shoot it, it felt awkward. I hated the sound/feel of the spring slapping around each time it fired. For a low recoil gun, it seemed to be all over when trying to get back on target.
On a side note, I really liked my new .243. And my trusty model .587 (.22) was a blast to shoot as usual.

On a side side note, I hit my 3/8" steel walking target with the .243. Now I need to make another :(

Funny, because I love the sound of the spring cycling. :D

Well, there you go! One less thing to worry about. :D

I shot my .243 at a .22LR target and punched a hole right thru it... oops. And... the AR does the same thing. :greg:

That's one (of many) thing I love about the .223. They shoot at a high enough velocity that you can pierce targets and, depending on the target, it won't even move. Or hitting a shaken up soda can and the thing explodes (makes cleaning up tough, but it's sure fun :D)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've got one of these gongs in 10". My .223 does not dent the surface at all. They are supposed to hold up to .50 BMG rounds.