My kid put his papers in for a two year stint somewhere...guesses where???

Alcancia

Two year vacation? Threw his hat into what?
He submitted his paperwork to be a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Applicants don't know where they will be assigned until after receiving approval from local ecclesiastical leaders and submitting the paperwork to the main office of the church. After a few weeks, the assignment comes in the mail. The assignment could be for almost anywhere in the world and may require learning a new language. It's a pretty exciting time to say the least.

California Anaheim is my guess. 15 years ago, we called it Californication...
That's where I went, '04-'06. Must have been long enough after RHCP's song, the nickname didn't stick...

Last edited:

LT.

He submitted his paperwork to be a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Applicants don't know where they will be assigned until after receiving approval from local ecclesiastical leaders and submitting the paperwork to the main office of the church. After a few weeks, the assignment comes in the mail. The assignment could be for almost anywhere in the world and may require learning a new language. It's a pretty exciting time to say the least.

Thank you for the explanation. Us sinners don't always know what is going on.

LT.

ricsrx

They are sorted on Tuesday and delivered Wednesdays, i know its the postal service, snail mail.... i think you have another week

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
They are sorted on Tuesday and delivered Wednesdays, i know its the postal service, snail mail.... i think you have another week

Hopefully not as he'll bail on me from Moab :D ? A LOT of his high school friends have been receiving those on Wed-Friday.... We'll know in a about 4 hours when he checks the mailbox again.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Thank you for the explanation. Us sinners don't always know what is going on.

LT.

I know of at least one friend of his that was called to the Farmington, NM mission. I would assume there is a Santa Fe/Albquerque mission? Anyway, I'm sure we can have a couple of kids stop by and see how you are doing if you like? :D

ricsrx

Hopefully not as he'll bail on me from Moab :D ? A LOT of his high school friends have been receiving those on Wed-Friday.... We'll know in a about 4 hours when he checks the mailbox again.

If i was still working at the Distribution Center i would have located it for you, then you would know for sure..

mbryson

Supporting Member
If i was still working at the Distribution Center i would have located it for you, then you would know for sure..

My dad (retired postmaster) has offered to poke around for him but it won't really matter where it is until it's in the mailbox. :D It's an interesting process, for sure

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
When I put my papers in (2002) my uncle was working in the mission department. He would have hand delivered it had I not moved down to socal to play water polo for the semester. Regardless, I wish your son all the best. I learned a lot of good (and bad) about myself on my mission. I went to northern Spain where the work was very hard. This is where I first cultivated my desire to explore as I moved from city to city. I loved walking the streets looking for interesting things and then sharing those with companions and apartment-mates.

rholbrook

I know of at least one friend of his that was called to the Farmington, NM mission. I would assume there is a Santa Fe/Albquerque mission? Anyway, I'm sure we can have a couple of kids stop by and see how you are doing if you like? :D
I happen to really like Farmington, NM. Mostly because of the San Juan river and a mexican restuarant there. I try to get there every year. If I go this year I will get a hold of you to see if he will be close and I can take them to dinner. Text coming your way.