My new ride... a Lexus?

jason04

Not to jack the thread but... I bought the 4runner today! 2005 Silver V6... already ordered OME lift from Kurt and have some sliders sitting in the garage ready to go.

btw, you're welcome to come to our little "sausgage fest 2010, no front wipers allowed" (dudes only) Moab trip the first weekend of March. Would be great to wheel with the old rig again, should be fun.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Dig the new rig. :cool:

I have also struggled with vehicle cycling. Went way over budget on my most recent purchase, but I know it will never leave me wanting more. I guess you gotta pony up to be completely satisfied when you are as picky as Greg and I.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Not to jack the thread but... I bought the 4runner today! 2005 Silver V6... already ordered OME lift from Kurt and have some sliders sitting in the garage ready to go.

btw, you're welcome to come to our little "sausgage fest 2010, no front wipers allowed" (dudes only) Moab trip the first weekend of March. Would be great to wheel with the old rig again, should be fun.

Congrats Jason! It will be fun to see what you do with it. I'll see what I can do about attending the Moab trip, March is pretty busy for me already. I need to check my schedule, but I think it's open.

Dig the new rig. :cool:

I have also struggled with vehicle cycling. Went way over budget on my most recent purchase, but I know it will never leave me wanting more. I guess you gotta pony up to be completely satisfied when you are as picky as Greg and I.

I saw the 'cute' new ride... :rofl: Looks great Jeremy, I think you'll be very happy with it.

ewander

Greg,

This is a very cool purchase. After I sold my XJ I looked long and hard a what type of next rig I would purchase. It came down to the exact year/model of rig you bought or a new 4 door wrangler. The money side was pointing me towards the FZJ, but I ended up finding a good deal on a rebuilt KJ. It was a tough decision and I still find myself searching on line for FZJ's....

So far the JK has been awesome and now with the 5.13s is really fun to drive. We'll see about the reliability. I have owned enough jeeps to know that they all have problems.

Eric

Greg

Admin
Greg,

This is a very cool purchase. After I sold my XJ I looked long and hard a what type of next rig I would purchase. It came down to the exact year/model of rig you bought or a new 4 door wrangler. The money side was pointing me towards the FZJ, but I ended up finding a good deal on a rebuilt KJ. It was a tough decision and I still find myself searching on line for FZJ's....

So far the JK has been awesome and now with the 5.13s is really fun to drive. We'll see about the reliability. I have owned enough jeeps to know that they all have problems.

Eric

I would love to have a JK, especially one put together like yours. If I could have afforded one, it would have been a very tough choice between the JK and the FZJ. With an older FZJ costing less than half of a JK, it was an easy choice. Maybe one day I'll be able to swing a JK, I'd really like to own one.

I'd like to see more of your JK, sounds like a good balance of drive-ability and trail prowess.

Great buy Greg. I know you will love it. Now I know who to ask for some Grey Poupon out on the trail.

Update your avatar!!!! :)

:D Thanks Alan! I'm quite pleased with it so far, it's very capable. I'll have to start packing around the Grey Poupon, that's the 2nd time in 3 days I've heard that. :rofl:

Greg

Admin
So today I didn't have to work and had a chance to find out just how capable the LX450 was... probably not the brightest thing I've ever done, but I'm not known to be brilliant when it comes to solo 4x4 trips. :rolleyes:

I took the backroads out to Rabbit Valley from the Utah side and was surprised to find at least 12" of snow out in the desert. I was trying to get to the front entrance of Rabbit Valley going East and ended up in a bad spot involving a narrow, off-camber section of trail, covered by some slippery snow. After some careful rock placement, I backed out of there.

I tried following the Kokopelli trail headed West up out of the valley and that was another dumb idea. I know there's only a few on here that have driven this route, but it's not that bad... when it's dry. The road climbs up about a half-mile, quite steep and washed out.

This time the road was covered with even more snow than the valley, since the wind blew up out of the valley and deposited snow on the road. I made it 90% of the way, giving it hell. I'd break trail about 5-10 feet at a time, then back up and hit it again. The tires were aired down to 6 PSI and both diff locks were on. It was amazing how the LX450 would dig down and keep clawing it's way up the hill, a little at a time. I was honestly impressed with how capable this rig is.

Right near the top the drifts got DEEP... I was pushing snow with the front bumper and was really having a rough time making progress. The last bit of the road obviously had much more snow on it compared to the rest of the road, so I decided to back all the way down.

Here's a couple phone pics from 1/2 way up, I didn't take pics of the deepest part where I backed down, simply because I didn't want to get out on the drifts!

img00034201002011522.jpg

img00033201002011521.jpg

I ended up going back out the way I came in, which wasn't what I had planned, but it was better than walking out!

LT.

That is awesome that you were able to get out so quickly after the purchase. Most folks want to keep their rides looking pretty for a while after they buy them.

LT.

Greg

Admin
That is awesome that you were able to get out so quickly after the purchase. Most folks want to keep their rides looking pretty for a while after they buy them.

LT.

We are fortunate to have some good trails very close to home, but I'm the type of person who buy's 4x4 so they will get used. No time like the present to get out on the trail! I do want to keep it clean & straight, but I'm not afraid to use it like it was meant to be used.

jason04

Did I hear you corectly in a previous post that you would rather have BFG A/T's over the KM2 M/T???

I need to buy tires this week and I'm trying to decide if I should get the M/T's again or go with the A/T's. (M/T's wernt very good in the bad weather around town.)