Toyota My new (to me) '85 Xtra cab pickup

864runner

I know I'm your hero
I bought this truck a month ago to replace my '84 that was totaled about 6 months ago. It is totally stock and has a rebuilt engine. It's not the cleanest truck out there, the bed is pretty much trash, both bumpers are destroyed. But the cab is in decent shape and the interior, sans the seats, is in really good shape for a '85.

Here's what it looked like when I bought it.

100MEDIA_IMAG0113.jpg

And after some new wheels I got from Steve (Sixstringsteve). It looks much better now, I really like these wheels.

DSC05891.jpg

I was told it had a small oil leak...turns out it has a massive oil leak. So much that I can't even tell where its coming from because the whole engine bay is covered in oil.

But before I could even start working on that I got a notice from the city that I had to get rid of the '84 that had been sitting in my driveway with no drivetrain since I wrecked it. So I decided to put the flatbed onto the '85. I really like the look of this flatbed on it.

DSC05892.jpg

DSC05893.jpg

So now that the '84 was gone, it was time to start on that oil leak. I didn't want to mess around buying one gasket at a time and replacing them until It was fixed so I bought a complete gasket set from http://http://www.engnbldr.com/ And then decided just to pull the engine. So yesterday at noon I took the truck over to my dads house to start on the engine pull. I had no intentions on pulling it out yesterday, I was just going to get it all ready, but once I started I couldn't stop and it ended up out of the truck by 5 p.m.

DSC06029.jpg

DSC06025.jpg

Now I'm heading back over to my dads to start tearing the motor apart and getting it cleaned. If anyone would like to come hang out or help they are more than welcome to. Just text me and I'll give you the address. 801-599-3255

Coco

Factory solid axle? I see it has EFI, and it's an extra cab. You my friend got THE truck to have!!

sixstringsteve

Wow, those wheels look killer on that rig. Same with the flatbed. If I can get my rig done soon I'll head over and help you. That being said, it looks like I won't be done 'till after memorial day.

You've helped me so many times, I'd love to return the favor. You coming down to moab for memorial day? I'd love to wheel with ya there. You have GOT to experience moab, it's like nothing else.

864runner

I know I'm your hero
Factory solid axle? I see it has EFI, and it's an extra cab. You my friend got THE truck to have!!

Thanks, Colton!

Wow, those wheels look killer on that rig. Same with the flatbed. If I can get my rig done soon I'll head over and help you. That being said, it looks like I won't be done 'till after memorial day.

You've helped me so many times, I'd love to return the favor. You coming down to moab for memorial day? I'd love to wheel with ya there. You have GOT to experience moab, it's like nothing else.

Thanks, Steve! I would love to have your help one day. Haha. My wife helps a little but I don't think she really likes too. Haha. I'll really have to look into going with you on memorial day. Are you gonna take your truck?

I'm done for the day. I could do more teardown but I can't find bolts long enough to fit the engine stand so I have to leave it hooked up to the cherry picker until I can get some on Monday. So here's how it looked when I left.

DSC06146.jpg

DSC06147.jpg

DSC06148.jpg

DSC06145.jpg

As you can see, everything is covered it oil. I haven't really found the culprit but every gasket also has rtv on it. Why would someone do that?

I'm also in need of some solvent for my dads new parts washer, any suggestions?

sixstringsteve

I'll really have to look into going with you on memorial day. Are you gonna take your truck?

Yes, I will be taking my truck. Pull all the strings you can to make the trip, it's going to be a lot of fun. You're welcome to camp with us if you need a place to stay.

Last edited:

864runner

I know I'm your hero
Got rained out at work today. So I'm at my Dads house to hopefully get everything I took off organized and get the engine mounted on the stand.

Last edited:

864runner

I know I'm your hero
Didn't get as much done as I wanted to but thats ok, I'm in no rush to get this back together.

Here's the pile of parts I started out with
IMAG0153.jpg

And here's what I ended up with
IMAG0155.jpg

And here's the block down as bare as it's gonna get
IMAG0156.jpg

If its raining again tomorrow I'm gonna head back over and try to clean the block up so I can paint it.

864runner

I know I'm your hero
Ok so i'm not very good at keeping up with any threads I start or post in. Haha.

With that being said, I got the engine all back together and put in the truck like a month ago. But I haven't been able to get it running. It started the first time I tried it but would only stay running if I was on the gas. As soon as I let off it would die. I thought maybe I had the 2nd and 3rd injectors switched around so I switched them and tried to start it again and It wouldn't even try to turn over. So I switched them back and It's still not even trying to start.

From what I read online all 4 of the injectors fire at the same time? Can anyone confirm this?

I've messed with the timing a bunch and from what I can tell it's where it should be? I've checked every plug for spark and they are all getting spark. I can smell fuel and when I crack the banjo bolt on the cold start injector fuel sprays out so I know I have fuel pressure.

I've searched the net a bunch but I can't really find anything that helps me out?

If anyone has any ideas or would like to come over and help me out I would appreciate any help, I'm all out of ideas and I would really like to get this thing running before winter break is over and I have to go back to school.

Max Power

Bryce
I would be happy to lend a hand as well. It sounds like timing or ignition to me. Are you sure you are getting enough fuel pressure?

864runner

I know I'm your hero
Thanks Steve, If you wanna come scratch your head with me tomorrow I'll head over there. If not then I doubt I'll even look at it 'till after Xmas.

Bryce, I got your PM, If Steve decides to come over I'll let you know. It ran just fine before I took the motor out, so I doubt its a fuel pressure problem but it could be?

sixstringsteve

Dang, tomorrow is guitar lesson day from 5-10. I should have said "say the word and I'll be there as long as it isn't Wed." I can come on Thursday though. I might even be able to drive my truck there.

sixstringsteve

any progress today? I can swing by after work tomorrow. I won't be much help, but I can install some parts backwards if you want :rofl:

864runner

I know I'm your hero
Well Steve, If you install stuff backwards of how I have it, it will probably fire right up. Haha. I didn't even bother going over to look at it yesterday. I am looking forward to going over today with you and hopefully Bryce there to bounce ideas off of.