Toyota My new (to me) '85 Xtra cab pickup

864runner

I know I'm your hero
Time for an update. First off, I'd like to thank Steve for coming up and helping me try to get this running (even though we couldn't).

My friend from Vegas who is a BMW tech came up for the long weekend and helped me figure out what was wrong with it. We finally got it to start but it wouldn't run without keeping on the throttle. We got it up to operating temp and did a compression test and the 1st and 4th cylinder were below 50 p.s.i. so we concluded that when I put the head back on it was not it was not in turn with the block so when I tried to start it the first time I bent the valves.

So now I have to take the head off again and verify that it is in fact bent valves.

I'm gonna start tearing into it today after school. Then I'll have to decide what I want to do to replace the head. I'm leaning towards getting a street rv head with a 261c crawler cam from engblr and put that on my 4runner and put the stock head off my 4runner onto this truck.

chans

That sucks. You can check the gap on the 1 and 4 cylinder valves and if they are bent you should have bigger gap since they won't be shutting all the way. I must have missed this post otherwise I would have offered to help back in December. If you need help with the head I can help on the weekends or a some nights during the week.

chans

Cool, if you need help PM me your address and time you are working on it. I may have to work one of the mornings but free after 11am.

864runner

I know I'm your hero
Myself and Max Power are gonna tear the head off Saturday at 10:00 a.m. Anyone that wants to help, learn, or just hang out is more than welcome too. Just PM me for the address.

Chans, you have a PM with the address. Also if you have the parts and wanted to do your knuckle rebuild we could probably do that as well.

Last edited:

chans

Myself and Max Power are gonna tear the head off Saturday at 10:00 a.m. Anyone that wants to help, learn, or just hang out is more than welcome too. Just PM me for the address.

Chans, you have a PM with the address. Also if you have the parts and wanted to do your knuckle rebuild we could probably do that as well.

I will be there to lend a hand. We can wait on the knuckle rebuild and focus on the head. Plus I forgot about wheel bearings and may have to wait for another payday.

864runner

I know I'm your hero
I've got a small update on this. I got the head pulled off thanks to the help of Bryce and Chris. When we got it off I was expecting to find something majorly wrong with the head, but it looked normal? So I got frustrated and took a couple months off from this truck to concentrate on school. Since I wasn't sure what to do with the motor that's in there I just today went and bought a motor from Seth at Trailridge off road, that he says was rebuilt 2,000 miles ago and runs great. I might try to get it put in this weekend but I have to work on Saturday so I'll have to see if I feel like working on it when I get off. I'm also right in the middle of moving so the wife might make me help with that instead of working on it. Haha. But for sure I'll be working on it Sunday. I know I can get it running in a day so that's gonna be my goal. If anyone wants to come help out or just hang out you are more than welcome to. I'll try to get some pics up of the "new" motor up tonight or in tomorrow sometime.

864runner

I know I'm your hero
I was hoping you could come help too Steve. I've still got quite a bit of work to do on it after its running still. I need to weld some new mounts on the flat bed and get it mounted up, and build a rear bumper. You could always help with that stuff!

864runner

I know I'm your hero
I would be honored if you could help Steve! You do awesome work. I might not work on this thing tomorrow. It depends on if I can get my homework done, and how much stuff the wife wants to get moved.

864runner

I know I'm your hero
Well it turns out I had to work yesterday, I didn't even know until my boss called me and told me I was late. Haha. So it looks like I might be able to find some time Wednesday to go get the new engine all cleaned up and get the wiring harness off of it. Then this weekend I can get it swapped in and running!

864runner

I know I'm your hero
I don't really have much time to work on it during the week, between school and work, and I work in the middle of the day on the weekends. We can do Sat. night after 7 and try to get it knocked out?