My Next Project: 1965 Sunbeam Alpine

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Where to start?

I dropped the car off for sheet metal mid April. I was told about two weeks to finish it. Today I would say we are about 3/4 of the way done. While I am disappointed in the time it's taken to do the job, I am blown away by the quality and ingenuity they have. I came in with basic ideas that were simple and clean. They have taken those ideas to new levels I didn't think possible.
It's fun to be apart of a build that I can say truly is one of a kind. It's not the typical JK build for sure. I know it will be pure eye candy to anyone who can appreciate custom builds, I can only hope and cross my fingers it will drive as well.

Pictures coming soon.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
View attachment 98369
I don't have many pics of it. This is from last weekend when I got the injection system back together and it was running for the 1st time in 5 years (ran for 10 minutes then puked the coolant up, I'll need to debug the cooling system next, but I know the radiator is leaking in several spots.). Previous owner flipped the spindles side to side, and put a rear steer rack in it, that has the worst geometry you ever saw, plus moved the wheels forward. The stance is all wrong. The 2.8 install in it is wonky, and the front cross-member has been butchered to fit the 2.8.

I am mainly thinking of widening the stock because of the amount of material I will have to take out of the vette cross-member to get it to work. Vette is 60.5 wms, I'll have to chop 9.5 inches out of it to get it to fit, then I have to find a rack and pinion that will fit. I am looking at chopping down a pinto, or depowered miata r&p. Every inch wider makes it that much easier to find a rack that will fit ;).

Photo doesn't show it but previous owner already cut the rear openings a slight bit larger than stock.

Just rereading this. I didn't think about it before. It if you need a radiator I have a custom built Ron Davis for the original engine. I'll make you a smoking deal on it if you can use it.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Rumor has it I'll be picking the 'beam up from sheet metal today! Cross your fingers for me.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Tomorrow for the pickup now...if I get an invoice. He's using a t56, i think. The 6 speed.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
If only it was my money to spend. I've been in shops where they did that. Doesn't work out well for anyone.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
It's home! Maybe someday I'll do a write up on just the sheet metal process, but right now I'm just happy to have the car back. The work that was done was far beyond my expectations. I can't believe the amount of stuff that got put in it, and all the room that is left over. Just blows my mind.
On the way home last night I stopped by the paint shop. They walked around it and said we are still within our original quote. They will be ready for it the first of February. My goal is to have it driving by then. Then tear it back down to a roller and bring it to them. I've been lazy for the last 7 1/2 months, so I've got to relearn how to work. For the most part it is just building a whole car wiring harness, including the engine. Fuel is almost complete. I need to figure out a rear sway bar and bump stops. With the car dropped it has less then 1/4" of clearance between the ground and exhaust. :eek:

We had the rear shocks aired all the way up to help get it on the trailer. I wish the fronts had been installed too. Getting it on was a pain. Off was okay because of a better drive way angle.
334 (2).JPG

334 (3).JPG

334 (4).JPG

This is with the air out of the rear shocks. My kids thought it was awesome watching the car go up and down. We had to play with it a few times.
334 (5).JPG

I will probably wrap the back tubes of the headers. They sit about 1/4" from the fenders. It's tight everywhere in this car! And a before shot.
334 (6).JPG 327 (84).JPG

All new tub. The soft top cover was chopped up to work with the roll bar. Turned out better than I thought. And a before shot.
334 (7).JPG 325 (8).JPG

Transmission tunnel and firewall in place. He also made a slick ECU mount that pivots out at the passenger's feet. I'll get a picture of that down the road. Evaporator is also installed. And a before shot.
334 (8).JPG 329 (3).JPG

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'm excited again to see this. You'll need to post some side by sides to compare the sheet metal work that was done.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
The truck may be my favorite part. Originally we were going to put the huge plastic box containing all the air ride parts in the back, along with the battery. Together they would have taken up most of the trunk. Mark took the box apart and managed to get all the components inside the driver side quarter panel. The battery is mounted in the passenger side panel. This left the trunk wide open and semi useful to put groceries in, which is the main purpose of this car. :D
He also built the fuel cell and put in my sender and pump. It's close to 15 gallons, so a little better than the original saddle bag tanks.

324 (9).JPG 334 (9).JPG

Now to run a mile or so of wiring...

blznnp

I'm gonna need to do sheet metal work on my camaro,makes me want to pay someone else to do it. But I'm to cheap for that since I know I could do it.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Yeah, the problem with sheet metal is it requires a whole other set of tools and equipment to do it...and the know how. Same with body/paint. I'll gladly let others do this work. I'll only do body work if it involves a jeep tub and 3/16 plate. :D
Remind me not to do another car.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I'm working my way through the electrical now, and am planning out the radio parts. Originally these cars didn't have a radio and we want to keep that look, as much as possible, but they do want their music.

So here is my plan:

Kenwood KAC-M1824BT Compact 4ch Amplifier. This amp is run off of bluetooth. There is a small remote that I can hide easily or if the owner wants I can install in the dash. Other than that it runs off your phone. No deck needed. I like this idea. And 45 watts RMS should be fine, I think.

Now I'm at a loss for speakers. I have a nice spot on each side of the foot wells, at the floor, to install a 6x9. I like this one: Helix Esprit E69X.
The rear speakers is the real hard spot. I want to put them in the sides of the car just to the rear of the doors, right behind the roll bar and in front of the wheel wells. I might be able to get this speaker to fit: Helix Esprit E57X but it will be very tight with the grill in place. I can't find any dimensions of the speaker with the grill installed.

So all you audiophiles, am I going about this right? Is it funny to have bigger speakers in the front than in the rear? The rears will be very close to the driver/riders ears so maybe that will help? If I can't get the grill to fit in the rear I may have to drop to a 4" round or a 4x6 will work. Any difference with the round speakers vs the oval speakers? I'm not looking for the best sound, as this is a soft top that will have the top down 99% of the time. I would like a bigger amp, but can't find one controlled by bluetooth.
Thoughts?