My Next Project: 1965 Sunbeam Alpine

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
This is the first full custom harness I have built and ran. I think I have had to adjust every engine harness that I've paid people to "thin" out for me. It's just easier to start from scratch and do it myself. It is actually super simple and clean (the end product anyways). Every wire is just how I want it. Not so much in the video, but I have it laid out so that the finished product will be nice. I have been drawing up a wiring schematic as I go, so it will be easy for a shop in AZ to troubleshoot down the road in needed, so my customer wont need to drag it back up here for me to fix it.

I'm just glad it works. There is well over 100 soldered and heat shrink connections in the engine harness and that many more in the body harness. It's a good thing I don't live in California, or all that solder would have given me cancer. :D

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Thanks. It hasn't been all fun and games, and has caused a few wrenches to be thrown, but overall I have enjoyed it. It's getting harder and harder to find a project that hasn't been done before, so while I can't say for sure this is the first LS in a 'beam, it's got to be one of the first. At least it's not a late 60's Camaro. :D

blznnp

At least it's not a late 60's Camaro. :D

hey now, you watch your dirty little mouth.

looks good man, gonna have to come over and check it out soon. Ill leave my 60's camaro at home since some people don't appreciate them...I know Carl does

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
hey now, you watch your dirty little mouth.

looks good man, gonna have to come over and check it out soon. Ill leave my 60's camaro at home since some people don't appreciate them...I know Carl does

I was specifically thinking of you when I wrote that. :D

I went to sema two years go. Every booth had a Camaro. They were all beautiful, but it got old. One company decided to be original...with two ls motors in line in their, yep, you guessed it, Camaro.

blznnp

I was specifically thinking of you when I wrote that. :D

I went to sema two years go. Every booth had a Camaro. They were all beautiful, but it got old. One company decided to be original...with two ls motors in line in their, yep, you guessed it, Camaro.

I understand, they are done, time and time again. Not sure if its because they are easy and kits are everywhere, or if its just cause they look good ( I am biased and have always wanted one not cause its the "cool" thing). There was a older fastback mustang on the hot rod power tour, that had a rear engine conversion on it. would love to do that in a camaro. driving around, its not so bad, but once you go to a show, or even go to bigger shows, you can really see all the camaros done. mine was probably one of the least powerful ones on the power tour last year.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Gosh I'll bet that was a relief to hear it run. Has to be exciting!

Is it going to act weird with the maf or mas or whatever it is that close to the throttle body?
Seems like you might have enough room to put a cobra head on it and get the intake on top of a fender.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I understand, they are done, time and time again. Not sure if its because they are easy and kits are everywhere, or if its just cause they look good ( I am biased and have always wanted one not cause its the "cool" thing). There was a older fastback mustang on the hot rod power tour, that had a rear engine conversion on it. would love to do that in a camaro. driving around, its not so bad, but once you go to a show, or even go to bigger shows, you can really see all the camaros done. mine was probably one of the least powerful ones on the power tour last year.

Don't get me wrong, I like Camaros as much as the next guy, and with all the support it makes me wish I was building one of them instead of this Sunbeam. That would make it so much easier. But just like you said, going to that car show and seeing a million cool Camaros... Just like Jeeps. I'll climb all over a nicely built cj7 at a show, and walk right past most of the JK's. This Sunbeam is worth climbing all over, not because of my work, but because it is unique and and so heavily modified.

We definitely need to take ours cars out on a cruise once this is finished. That will be a good time... always watching you play catch up. :rofl:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Gosh I'll bet that was a relief to hear it run. Has to be exciting!

Is it going to act weird with the maf or mas or whatever it is that close to the throttle body?
Seems like you might have enough room to put a cobra head on it and get the intake on top of a fender.

It'll be even more exciting once it's finished....and gone!

I'm not sure why it would act weird with the location of the MAF. The MAF should see that x amount of air is getting into the engine no matter how much tubing is placed in front of and behind the MAF before going into the engine.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Are you talking about putting Ford heads/intake on that GM motor? :confused:

90* intake tube...
cobrahead_IMG_BANNER-1024x778.jpg

I'm not sure why it would act weird with the location of the MAF. The MAF should see that x amount of air is getting into the engine no matter how much tubing is placed in front of and behind the MAF before going into the engine.

Only hearsay on my end. I've been told if the MAF is too close you get return turbulence from the opening and closing of the butterfly valve on the throttle body and makes tuning an issue. I've heard the rule of thumb for easy tuning is similar distance from the TB as stock.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Only hearsay on my end. I've been told if the MAF is too close you get return turbulence from the opening and closing of the butterfly valve on the throttle body and makes tuning an issue. I've heard the rule of thumb for easy tuning is similar distance from the TB as stock.

How would one know if they have this problem?

I don't understand "return turbulence".

blznnp

Don't get me wrong, I like Camaros as much as the next guy, and with all the support it makes me wish I was building one of them instead of this Sunbeam. That would make it so much easier. But just like you said, going to that car show and seeing a million cool Camaros... Just like Jeeps. I'll climb all over a nicely built cj7 at a show, and walk right past most of the JK's. This Sunbeam is worth climbing all over, not because of my work, but because it is unique and and so heavily modified.

We definitely need to take ours cars out on a cruise once this is finished. That will be a good time... always watching you play catch up. :rofl:

yea, seeing another JK isn't anything special, but a older jeep, or willys is awesome. and yes, there is a good chance this could take me, I'll have to bring my buddy along with his 67 nova with a stroker LS3, just so you can't have the last laugh. How long till all the interior gets done? My brother is doing a classic car show in may in draper for a benefit show for moms against drunk drivers. should bring it, done or not done.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
It should go to paint this coming week. They are telling me 6 weeks for that work, once they get started on it. It's been a while since I talked to them so I don't know their schedule. I hope they will be able to start on it right away. After that I need a few weeks/month to put it all back together. From there it goes to upholstery. I have no idea how long that will take. I've only talked to one shop, and need to get a few more quotes so the owner can decide which to use. So I bet I'm 4 months out from really driving it.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Wow! I just had a pretty good laugh, reading my last post. I did drop it off at the paint shop the first or second week of April, 2016 like it says. They sprayed the undercoating yesterday and should be starting to paint the rest of it today and into next week. I picked up the rear end yesterday and will finish welding brackets and such this weekend and drop it, and a few other small items off to powder coat on monday. I should have the car back to me by the end of next week. Of course, I have been saying that for the last 8 MONTHS!
It's starting to be a theme with this car. On the bright side, the body is basically perfect. Better than new. Hope the paint comes out just as nice.