Jeep My Overland Project, the RME JKU

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I should have done a better job explaining the 'why' behind some of this mods, if you're not a Jeep/JK guy you probably wouldn't be aware of the logic of that mod.

Greg

Admin
Last weekend I took the JKU to Moab for some fun trails and had some carnage... http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?109369-Moab-with-a-Hickey

The track bar mount on the axle end tore off, which is a common weakness. Matter of fact, the whole front axle is a common factory weak point on the JK. The axle tubes are small and thin, the knuckles have been known to bend, control arm mounts tear off and even the center section will allow the entire axle to bend if pushed too hard. I was looking at a new aftermarket track bar mount and was thinking I'd sleeve the axle, gusset the knuckle and beef up the control arm mounts, but this was all happening sooner than planned. We have a upcoming Baja trip in November and the last thing I wanted was a serious front axle failure while in the middle of the Baja Mexico desert. A decision was made that would simplify the potential troubles and add some serious beef to the front end.

i-dttTr4L-L.jpg

After a short call to the helpful guys at TeraFlex in West Jordan on Monday a Tera 44 HD was on the way, with a set of TeraFlex HD Ballljoints! 2 days later I had one sexy axle in hand! This axle is a thing of beauty, the welds are amazing, the power coat finish looks show-quality and the beefy diff cover all make for an axle that I don't want to get dirty! The Tera44 is a direct bolt in for the JKU Rubicon, making the use of the factory locker. It features massive 3.25" axle tubes, compared to the factory 2.5" tubes. The axle brackets are all 1/4" thick, which is way thicker than the wimpy stock parts... and of course the knuckles on the Tera44 are massive! There are a lot of other improvements with the Tera44 and it will add a lot of value and peace of mind to the JKU when its being pushed thru the whoops in Baja! :greg:

20150930_163200-L.jpg

20150930_164356_001-L.jpg

20150930_164427-L.jpg

20150930_164436-L.jpg

20150930_164446-L.jpg

20150930_171655-L.jpg

We're headed out of town in 2 days, otherwise I'd be tearing the stock front axle out of the Jeep right now!

Greg

Admin
It's taken me awhile to get around to the Tera 44 install, we went on vacation and I've spend some time out of town for work. I also had some parts supply issues, apparently nobody in Grand Junction stocks front u-joints for a Rubicon 44! I ordered a pair of Alloy USA joints, after finding that one of my factory joints was loose. Next up was pressing in the TeraFlex HD ball joints.... that was a fun! I set them in the freezer for a couple days before the install and they went in a little easier.

20151023_165804-L.jpg

20151023_172416-L.jpg

I started by removing the stock front axle and disassembling it, then hauling the Tera 44 housing, the stock carrier & gears down to Barney Brothers 4x4 shop here in Grand Junction for the gear install. I was really thinking about doing the gears myself, but with an upcoming Baja trip I wanted it done right without question, by professionals.

20151029_183213-L.jpg

20151030_171316-L.jpg

I took the grinder and wire wheel to the stock knuckles, to remove dirt and rust and prep for some paint, then started moving forward with the install. There was a lot to it, but I took my time and checked off the assembly as it progressed.

20151105_163935-L.jpg

20151106_125425-L.jpg

20151107_135954-L.jpg

20151111_182859-L.jpg

20151107_161639-L.jpg

And then it was time for a test!

PB144493-L.jpg

PB144496-L.jpg

PB144504-L.jpg

PB144519-L.jpg

PB144524-L.jpg

Driving it with the new axle is night & day, the front-end just feels... 'tight'! I'm sure the stock ball joints had seen better days and the track bar hole on the axle was pretty wallowed out. With the thicker axle brackets and the HD ball joints, the front end makes it feel like a new/different vehicle!

Greg

Admin
Hemi V8 or a diesel?

I vote ecoboost powerplant!!! Give me that low end torque baby.

No engine swap plans, factory drivetrain = reliable.

The Pentastar 3.6 is actually quite peppy and returns pretty good mileage with 35's... I'm happy with it. There's a chance I may add aftermarket exhaust and an engine tuner for a little more power, but that's it.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Sweet build Greg, the Pentastar is a good powerplant. Had that in the '12 Rubi I had.

Just let me know when you want to sell for far less than you have invested :D
Personally, just me, no one else... :rofl:

Greg

Admin
Sweet build Greg, the Pentastar is a good powerplant. Had that in the '12 Rubi I had.
I
Just let me know when you want to sell for far less than you have invested :D
Personally, just me, no one else... :rofl:

I have no plans to sell this one anytime soon... perhaps after the diesel JKU comes out, but we'd have to talk about the pricing. ;)

Do you have a way to disable the tire pressure sensors?

Yeah, I have a SuperChips FlashCal and have made several changes. I set my TPMS sensors to come on at less than 25 psi, before I think it was something like under 38 psi...?

Great build, Greg. Way to represent RME around the interwebs with this thing.

Thanks John! Some kind of a wrap would be neat to promote the site better, but I like it low key.