Jeep My Overland Project, the RME JKU

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm a bit behind on the updates, so I'll try to get all caught up. I had to prepare for an upcoming Rubicon trail trip and wanted to be sure the JKU was ready and prepared. First things first....

I added a Superchips TrailDash 2, excited to gain actual numbers from the engine motoring systems, being able to diagnose and clear engine codes and the performance tune options that they claim add a significant amount of power. Some things I love about the TrailDash... you can choose which sensors you want to watch, intake air temp, coolant temp, transmission fluid temp, voltage, RPM, knock sensor, transmission gear, etc, etc. And my favorite aspect is that you can set alarms for each gauge you're monitoring. After seeing how hot the Pentastar REALLY runs, I set an alarm at 235*'s for the coolant, then an alarm for the automatic trans fluid at 175*'s. Of course you can also control the lockers and anti-sway bar disconnect on Rubicon models, then add other switches for things like aftermarket lights, air compressor, etc. You can also raise the RPM (while in Park) when you need a little more voltage for winching, welding, jumpstarting, etc. There is also a Maintenance Manager, you can set mileage frequency's for almost all aspects of maintenance, from oil changes to air filter replacement, transmission fluid changes and diff fluid maintenance. On top of that, you can also data log your vehicles performance which is really neat if you want to record and compare what how the Jeep is reacting for tuning purposes.

With the engine tunes, I really didn't notice much difference power-wise. They may add a little power with more aggressive timing, but I could hardly tell a difference. A dyno may reveal actual numbers, but the butt dyno didn't register any real change. For any of the performance tunes, you have to run higher octane (depending on the degree of tune). Honestly I was a bit disappointed with the lack of noticeable change. My MPG's didn't seem to change, either.

Here's some of the screen shots from the TrailDash 2...

P1010255-L.jpg

P1010256-L.jpg

P1010257-L.jpg

P1010260-L.jpg

P1010261-L.jpg

P1010262-L.jpg

In the end, the TrailDash 2 offers a LOT of options for monitoring and maintaining your Jeep. I think it's a great addition for someone who wants more information and hands-on management of their Jeep.

After seeing how hot the coolant got at times, I decided it was time for a flush and coolant upgrade. I drained the old coolant, then ran a few heat cycles with a mix of distilled water and vinegar, then straight distilled water, and eventually replaced the water with Engine Ice coolant. I have ran this in a few hot running motorcycles and had good results with keeping them cool. It's not cheap, but after it was all said and done there seems to be a slight decrease in heat from the engine.... but it STILL gets pretty hot when pushing the speed limit on the freeway, in the mountains. I wish I would have logged temps before and after, but the TrailDash 2 went in right before the coolant change.

P1010246-L.jpg

Next up was some front axle maintenance and upgrades... I had one stock u-joint and one USA Alloy joint in the front shafts, but when I went to change out the stock joint I found that the unit bearing wouldn't come off the stub shaft no matter what I tried. Even after heat with the torch, some precision hammer work, etc it was totally stuck. I decide to replace both unit bearings, upgrade the shafts and u-joints just to make sure the front axle shafts were serviceable should a joint break on the trail. Since I'm on 'small' 35's I felt like RCV's were neat but overkill and I wasn't ready to spend that much on shafts. I found the aftermarket Spicer shafts with an upgrade to 1350Spicer joints. i got mine from Dennys Driveshafts for around $475, which I thought was reasonable. Here's what they claim.-

Increased u-joint size from 1310 to 1350 series
25% higher yield strength than original u-joint
U-joint sealing package upgraded to Spicer Life Series

Unparalleled strength and longer life
Fatigue life improved by 300%
2000% improvement in high-angle fatigue life

Outer stub design re-engineered for added strength
Improved snap ring retention to reduce shock load failures
Material added to yoke ears and removed from body to equalize deflection through the yoke and reduce bearing cap spinning
Micro-alloy improves strength of the shaft
Statistically controlled heat treatment ensures proper hardness

20160611_073454-L.jpg

20160611_092505-L.jpg

Next up was upgrading the rear track bar, my stock track bar was hitting on the big Outback springs when the JKU was fully loaded with gear and driven offroad.... plus, my axle was about 3/8" off center. Not a big deal, but being able to adjust the axle and center is is nice for the OCD peeps among us. Again like the beefy front TeraFlex track bar the rear track bar is massive compared to the stocker. I set both track bars on a scale and the TeraFlex track bar weighs twice as much as the stock one! :eek: After it was on, it was a simple adjustment to center the rear axle.

P1010243-L.jpg

P1010249-L.jpg

One minor thing I did was cut off the massive exhaust tip off from the Magnaflow pipe. It looked great, but with the upcoming trip I knew it was going to get smashed as it sat right underneath the frame and rear bumper. I replaced with with a smaller, clamp-on tip.

P1010252-L.jpg

P1010254-L.jpg

After all these changes, the Rubicon Trail trip went off without a hitch. We drove out there in the JKU from Colorado, ran the trail with only minor issues, then turned back a few days later and drove home to Colorado. You have to be impressed with a Jeep that is capable of that! There were more than a few times where the front end was bound up in big rocks and I had to drive thru it... was glad for the upgraded shafts & joints!

DSC02936-L.jpg

Bart

Those look like some great upgrades for the JK. Your new chip display looks just like the display with my new CTS2 Edge Juice with Attitude. I love the look of it. Driving that out to the Rubicon and home after is a testament to how well you built it. It is an amazing multipurpose rig. Well done Greg.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Nice job Greg. Glad to hear your Rubicon trip went off without issues. That is on my bucket list as soon as I can convince the wife to leave the confines of her mansion on wheels for a couple of nights.:rofl:

Mike.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Nice job Greg. Glad to hear your Rubicon trip went off without issues. That is on my bucket list as soon as I can convince the wife to leave the confines of her mansion on wheels for a couple of nights.:rofl:

Mike.

My wife made the trip with us. Literally her first Jeep trip in over 20 years. She's had two half-day's on the trail before.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
My wife made the trip with us. Literally her first Jeep trip in over 20 years. She's had two half-day's on the trail before.

Thanks, my wife travel's everywhere with my but in the comfort of our coach. She loves wheeling and then returning to camp to sleep in her hotel on wheels. When I told her we may have to sleep in a tent for a couple of nights on the Rubicon trail she just said to park the coach and she will stay in it while I run the trail. I am slowly wearing her down though. When we were in NW Montana a few weeks ago I brought it up again and she "almost" committed to it. Little more work and I will have her there.:D

Mike.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Thanks, my wife travel's everywhere with my but in the comfort of our coach. She loves wheeling and then returning to camp to sleep in her hotel on wheels. When I told her we may have to sleep in a tent for a couple of nights on the Rubicon trail she just said to park the coach and she will stay in it while I run the trail. I am slowly wearing her down though. When we were in NW Montana a few weeks ago I brought it up again and she "almost" committed to it. Little more work and I will have her there.:D

Mike.

Mine just likes that I'm out of the house with the kids. I was pretty surprised she volunteered to go. She did pretty well despite sleeping in a tent for 2 nights. :D

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Mine just likes that I'm out of the house with the kids. I was pretty surprised she volunteered to go. She did pretty well despite sleeping in a tent for 2 nights. :D

Maybe I will have to have an overnight "breakdown" and then when we are back home I can tell her she did fine and we are half way there. Kind of a trial run thing.:rofl:

Mike.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Good choice on the upgraded shafts and joints. I ran mine on 35's with stock shafts and joints for a long time with no trouble until trouble found me that one time. Not sure if it was the shaft that went first or the u-joint but when the u-joint blew up it destroyed my synergy ball joints(so much for the Christmas money that year). The extra insurance will make for good peace of mind.

Greg

Admin
Well, it's time to step up my game and the JKU's suspension! I recently ordered a TeraFlex Alpine Long Arm upgrade for my Jeep, very excited about the idea of having maintenance-free rubber bushings and the change to long arms. I've had a Jeep on long arms in the past and once you've had a long arm Jeep, you won't want to go back to short arms. I'm really looking forward to the control arms working smoother and the axles moving easier, on road and off. I will be installing the long arm upgrade mid-November, I have a trip planned in early Nov and one in late Nov.... hoping I can get it all done in between! I'll have to drop the gas tank, cut and grind off most of the frame control arm mounts, then weld on the new, beefier Teraflex control arm mounts... it's going to be a lot of work! I'll post pics of the progress, once under way!

P1010683-L.jpg

P1010685-L.jpg

P1010688-L.jpg

P1010689-L.jpg

Rottenbelly

I stink.
Superb build! May have to change build plans on my second jeep now.
On the tranny temp. Have you had many warning at 175?
My old 07 auto ran that on average. Usally 200-210 on grades. Used the torque app to monitor it.
I think the hot oil light comes on at 240. Not sure if it changed on the 12+ models.
Went with a manual in my 15 cause I hated the auto out here in my 07.
Never heard of that coolant, is it jeep specific?
Meaning I know the jeeps use the Hoat, oat depending on year model.
Heard some horror stories from folks running the wrong stuff.

Greg

Admin
Superb build! May have to change build plans on my second jeep now.
On the tranny temp. Have you had many warning at 175?
My old 07 auto ran that on average. Usally 200-210 on grades. Used the torque app to monitor it.
I think the hot oil light comes on at 240. Not sure if it changed on the 12+ models.
Went with a manual in my 15 cause I hated the auto out here in my 07.
Never heard of that coolant, is it jeep specific?
Meaning I know the jeeps use the Hoat, oat depending on year model.
Heard some horror stories from folks running the wrong stuff.

Thanks!! I've been very happy with the way the JK has progressed, it still drives great on the road and is more than capable when it gets rough!

I haven't had a single transmission temp warning at 175* yet, it tends to run right at 165-170 consistently. I have seen 172-173 after dropping out of OD climbing hills on the freeway, but that's been the max. I still want to flush and fill the trans, just for routine maintenance but it seems to be staying cool. The new 5 speed auto seems to be a massive improvement compared to the old JK transmission. Combined with the 3.6 PentaStar engine, it seems to be a reliable and powerful combo.

The coolant isn't Jeep specific, they say that it will work fine in any engine that uses standard coolant. So far, it's been good.... I check it now & again and haven't seen any problems.

Rottenbelly

I stink.
Good deal. I forgot about the newer ones having the 5 speed auto.
I definitely like the new motor in my 15 compared to the 07. Even the wife gets carried away with hot rodding it some times and i have to tell her to simmer down!
Plus the fact that I am running 5:13's with the 35s on a manual. Tops out at 70 on the interstate but it's a blast to drive up and down the mtns out here.
Looking forward to seeing your feedback on the Alpine long arms.
Can you bolt the long arm brackets on then have them welded later?
I like to do my own work but I don't have a welder yet.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Nice Greg. You'll love the long arms on the JKU. The best thing I did to mine was machine new link ends to get away from the proprietary poly bushings and go to the OE style rubber encapsulated bushings. The Jeep just floats down the road and is just as smooth off-road.

Mike.

Greg

Admin
Good deal. I forgot about the newer ones having the 5 speed auto.
I definitely like the new motor in my 15 compared to the 07. Even the wife gets carried away with hot rodding it some times and i have to tell her to simmer down!
Plus the fact that I am running 5:13's with the 35s on a manual. Tops out at 70 on the interstate but it's a blast to drive up and down the mtns out here.
Looking forward to seeing your feedback on the Alpine long arms.
Can you bolt the long arm brackets on then have them welded later?
I like to do my own work but I don't have a welder yet.

I don't think the control arm mounts can be bolted on, they have to be welded in place. It's a pretty critical modification obviously and needs to be done right.

Nice Greg. You'll love the long arms on the JKU. The best thing I did to mine was machine new link ends to get away from the proprietary poly bushings and go to the OE style rubber encapsulated bushings. The Jeep just floats down the road and is just as smooth off-road.

Mike.

That's awesome to hear, I'm really looking forward to the JKU being on long arms with rubber bushings in the ends!

Greg

Admin
Did you get the long arm on yet? I am interested to see how you like the alpine arms.

I'm half way there, the rear is done and all bolted up with the Alpine Arms... just need to get the front done. Probably spend more time on it this upcoming weekend, but honestly I'm not in a rush. I will say, it's easier than I thought it would be... obviously it's a big project with the torching off old mounts, grinding and welding on new mounts.... but the work is really not that difficult.

I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing how the Alpine Long Arms work on this JKU, I may need a TeraFlex Dual Rate anti-sway bar to take advantage of the longarms! ;) Having the Rubicon anti-sway bar that only unlocks in 4 Low isn't always fun.