Nate’s longterm tiny shop build

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
If I ever step into the 21st century and get a plasma or air over hydro for my bender is when I’ll want a compressor. That’s why I will have the wiring available for it.

My buddy said “maybe you’ll want it when you get into woodworking” and I was like HOW DARE YOU?!?!
Are you guys still talking about gay stuff on here? Britney Spears would punch you in the gunt for liking these woodchips.

This would have been the proper response.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
My current struggle is figuring out the depth this LB needs to be able to leave room for the stucco to be done. Dumb.IMG_3453.jpeg

N-Smooth

I haven’t had time to update this cause I’ve either been busy working on it or watching videos, reading freaking NEC stuff or buying stuff.
My homie came over and we got the conduit to the meter finished and pulled the wire. I also hid some shielded CAT6 in there… allegedly.
IMG_3496.jpeg
Our conduit isn’t even perfectly plumb but it makes the drunken nonsense the builder did look even worse. I borrowed my neighbors hammer drill for the tapcons into the foundation for the unistrut and it was like BUTTAH!
We just got it pulled through the last sweep and he had to take off so I finished dry-fitting the inside conduit, got it all glued and pulled the wire the rest of the way. Then I mounted the unistrut and boom, done. Neato.
IMG_3498.jpeg
IMG_3497.jpeg
I got a decent amount of wire pulled yesterday and feel pretty good about it. I have (5) 15a circuits for interior lights, exterior lights, garage door opener, soffit outlet(s) and ceiling fan.
(3) 20a circuits for the wall receptacles. I’ll also add a couple exterior receptacles onto those since they’re pretty light on the numbers honestly. My phone camera wasn’t enjoying the lights today for some reason so the pics look weird. Right now it’s just a mess of wires anyways, not much to look at.
IMG_3500.jpeg
IMG_3501.jpegIMG_3503.jpegIMG_3502.jpeg
That’s about 230’ of 14/2 and probably about 200’ of 12/2. Wire prices are weird with a lot of variance- Sometimes Amazon is better, sometimes Home Depot is better. That stuff was priced ok at HD and I was itching to get started so I sent it.

Just now I ordered 100’ of 6/3 (💸) for the welder plugs. Annnnnd 100’ of 10/3 for the future mini split and compressor. Annnnnnnnnd 50’ of 10/3 UF-B for running from the panel to a junction box, then eventually an IR heater on the future covered patio. It was fun planning all that out… except not at all. Amazon killed HD on the pricing!

N-Smooth

I got some of the 10/3 today and it’s starting to look busy. Also, that 10/3 SUCKS to work with. I feel like a 90 year old man with arthritis just straightening out ~90’ of it.
IMG_3517.jpeg
IMG_3516.jpeg
I was reading that inspectors like when stuff is labeled and so do I! Also, a treat for a few of you D-words
IMG_3515.jpeg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

N-Smooth

I got quite a bit more done today but didn’t take any pics of the work. I think I’m about ready for the electrical rough-in inspection besides the exterior lights. I’ve been stressing, trying to figure out what boxes to get and all that. I know my wife wants to use the same lights that we have on the main garage so just now (no time like the present) I decided to cut a hole in the drywall behind one to see what box they builder used.
IMG_3543.jpeg
Well that’s interesting I thought. Must be a pancake box behind the mount on the outside.
IMG_3542.jpeg
Nope, just a bracket. I feel like my whole life is a lie and I feel like this probably isn’t code compliant. It feels like a situation where I’ll try and duplicate this and WJ city will not allow it lol that would be my luck.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I got quite a bit more done today but didn’t take any pics of the work. I think I’m about ready for the electrical rough-in inspection besides the exterior lights. I’ve been stressing, trying to figure out what boxes to get and all that. I know my wife wants to use the same lights that we have on the main garage so just now (no time like the present) I decided to cut a hole in the drywall behind one to see what box they builder used.
View attachment 171713
Well that’s interesting I thought. Must be a pancake box behind the mount on the outside.
View attachment 171714
Nope, just a bracket. I feel like my whole life is a lie and I feel like this probably isn’t code compliant. It feels like a situation where I’ll try and duplicate this and WJ city will not allow it lol that would be my luck.
If you worked this hard on your buggy it would have been done two years ago. Love you brother. 😍

Pike2350

The box shouldn't matter. They will all allow the light to mount. For the outside lights it is common to run just the wire through and do a pancake box. I have seen the bracket only and have always been surprised

That's probably what I would do(pancake box)....or, I would use a single gang depth adjustable box so you can bring it out further after the stucco is in

N-Smooth

I spent a lot of time out there today and got a good bit done. I got the wires stripped in all the boxes but the ceiling. Then my homie came over after work and we hooked up the power at the house and the sub panel. That meant it was time for me to start on the box. It’s not as neat as I wanted but I think it’s pretty good for my first time. I may go back and adjust a few things but we’ll see since it’ll all be hidden anyways lol. Just looking at the insulation in this pic makes me want to trim it back more…
IMG_3548.jpeg
I was hoping to get the rough-in inspection scheduled for tomorrow but I called the city automated line a little too late and missed my opportunity. So I’ll call tomorrow and get it scheduled for Monday. Woot, progress!

I also got an estimate for Sheetrock today. For the whole interior, including the doubled up back fire wall, with textured finish on walls and ceilings and the one exterior fire wall… they want $3650. It seems fair to me and like it’s cheap enough to not bother doing it myself- which has been my expectation all along with Sheetrock. It just sucks so bad to do it and it’s not that expensive. The savings from doing the electrical myself also makes it easier to justify.

N-Smooth

Coming along.
My preference is smooth walls and ceiling. If you ever work on that buggy or anything in there it's going to get Dusty and dirty. Texture would just be more places for the dirt to get caught up in.
I can see the smooth being convenient like that but I’m always blowing stuff off with the leaf blower anyways so I’m not worried. I like the textured look and it’ll match my house.

Nothing exciting today, just getting more of the outlet boxes ready for inspection. Then I added more blocking between trusses in spots where I may want to add lights later- just more future-proofing.
Then I moved onto planning a TV spot. I’m looking at a cheapy 75” insignia. I have an insignia in the garage and it’s been a good unit. The 75” model is only $479 so I don’t see why not. I ordered a generic mount off Amazon and it was here 2 hours later. I wanted that to be able to do blocking for it. Done.
IMG_3555.jpeg
Now I just need to find a 2gang recessed box that I like. It’s not been an easy search so far.

I also ordered one of the exterior lights to match our house and it came today. It’ll make mocking up the location a little easier for me. And yes, that’s a cherry bandaid on my thumb.
image.jpg